Author Topic: Audax and the ATM  (Read 7281 times)

Audax and the ATM
« on: 22 June, 2017, 11:57:50 am »
The Automated Teller Machine is 50 years old.  The first transaction appears to have been made on 27/06/1967, at least if Wikipedia is to be believed.  What an innovation this has proved to be to the world of the Randonneur (and not forgetting the Randonneuse of course);  I quite often finish a Perm with more money in my wallet than when I started as I seek to establish my whereabouts with the withdrawal of a minimum amount.  Even with the use of GPX logging, it is still useful to get physical proof of one's whereabouts, just in case of battery failure.

It makes me wonder what the banking computers make of this odd pattern of withdrawals of £10 at distances of about 50-80km apart.  Has anyone had their card retained for suspicious behaviour?  Does anyone notify their card provider of the likelihood of such activity? 

It must be even odder at the finish of an unmanned calendar event, when a particular ATM is suddenly inundated with dozens of such withdrawals.  If there is some head scratching going on in the banking board rooms, then I feel we have done our bit at getting our own back.

Re: Audax and the ATM
« Reply #1 on: 22 June, 2017, 12:20:49 pm »
At the start of my very first audax in 2013, I was so careful to stow my ATM receipt in a safe place, that I left my debit card in the machine, and rode away.  :facepalm:  8)

« Reply #2 on: 22 June, 2017, 12:43:51 pm »
Withdrawals? Pretty certain most people just get a balance statement!

« Reply #3 on: 22 June, 2017, 12:46:31 pm »
I have taken £10 but forgot to request a receipt. So another £10 from the same machine a few minutes latter.

« Reply #4 on: 22 June, 2017, 04:00:10 pm »

In my experience, these never give the location, but this might vary with different banks, different ATMS, and I daresay, it has changed over time anyway.  Some withdrawals slips also don't name the location, but for at least my own Perms I have noted the location codes at most likely ATMs, so I know were you are.  I might not know them all, but my riders don't know which ones I don't know.

« Reply #5 on: 22 June, 2017, 04:02:26 pm »
It sounds as if AUKs violate the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, as we know both your momentum (0kph) and location.  That remind me of a physicist's joke.

Werner Heisenberg was stopped by the police.  "Excuse me sir, but do you know what speed you were doing?"  "No, but I know exactly where I am." 

« Reply #6 on: 22 June, 2017, 04:49:20 pm »
Theres a website that can tell you where an ATM is from the number on the slip.   Number looks similar to a postcode but isn't one,

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #7 on: 22 June, 2017, 05:22:46 pm »
The real problem is that this thing called progress just does not stop. In Manningtree, Barclays these days is running a cash point that does not print paper receipts any more.  >:(
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #8 on: 22 June, 2017, 05:24:48 pm »
That's my general approach.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Ben T

« Reply #9 on: 22 June, 2017, 05:44:26 pm »
Unless you don't want the organiser to know how much money you've got  8)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #10 on: 22 June, 2017, 05:55:10 pm »
Scribble out the balance if that's worry a because the only information that's needed are the time stamp & location.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #11 on: 22 June, 2017, 07:45:04 pm »
As DC points out, a balance print-out is often missing some of the critical info, either location or time/date.
A cash withdrawal receipt always has the necessary info.
Up here in ScotlandLand, several of the ATM breeds suffer from this.

So yes, often taking £10 out is required.
And yes, it has been known for a card to be blocked during an Audax.

On one Audax, the only cash machine in a remote town ( Dufftown ) was out-of-service, and at 3AM, there was nothing else.
The org got a bunch of identical photos of a non-functioning ATM!

And yes, a big fat marker pen through account details works fine.

« Reply #12 on: 22 June, 2017, 08:34:52 pm »
Unless you don't want the organiser to know how much money you've got  8)

If you've got it,flaunt it.
If you ain't got it,then there's nowt to be embarrassed about. Audax is one big family.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #13 on: 22 June, 2017, 08:51:54 pm »
When I was a DIY organiser, one rider was so coy about letting his bank balance be known, he went further than blacking it out with a marker pen.
He meticulously cut out that bit of the balance slip with a Stanley knife.  :facepalm:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #14 on: 22 June, 2017, 09:06:28 pm »
A bit of a first for me...

On my last Perm, I tried to take out £10 in Braemar.
The machine clunked and ground and clunked some more, before barfing up an error message:

"ATM Failure. Cannae coont out the cash. Ye've nae been charged for this fuck-up".

But the receipt still showed the necessary, as Eck will have seen.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #15 on: 22 June, 2017, 10:43:56 pm »
A phone call to my bank telling them what was going on, and a request to make a note that I'd be withdrawing small amounts or requesting balance slips several times in a day was needed. This was followed by a phone call a week later to check a note had been made on my account details. Never had a problem.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 22 June, 2017, 10:50:51 pm »
A friend of mine was involved with setting up the first ATM, who also has a strong association with bicycles. His longest Audax was only 100km.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #17 on: 22 June, 2017, 10:53:05 pm »
Theres a website that can tell you where an ATM is from the number on the slip.   Number looks similar to a postcode but isn't one,

Surely a bit of common sense has to be applied. So far as I know, ATM receipts always how the date and time. Chances are, if someone submits an ATM receipt from Little Snoringham with the date of the ride and some ungodly hour of the morning on it, that person has been there on said ride.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Ben T

« Reply #18 on: 23 June, 2017, 12:01:07 am »
When I was a DIY organiser, one rider was so coy about letting his bank balance be known, he went further than blacking it out with a marker pen.
He meticulously cut out that bit of the balance slip with a Stanley knife.  :facepalm:
;D but then you know he doesn't want you to know, so it defeats the point.

« Reply #19 on: 23 June, 2017, 09:14:13 am »
The only time I planned on using an ATM as PoP I'd forgot my cash card  :facepalm: Fortunately there were plenty of other peoples receipts lying around, so I got to choose the time stamp  O:-)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 23 June, 2017, 10:05:12 am »
The only time I planned on using an ATM as PoP I'd forgot my cash card  :facepalm: Fortunately there were plenty of other peoples receipts lying around, so I got to choose the time stamp  O:-)
I must confess to doing this (even when I had a functional cash-card with me). I learned "receipt bin-diving" from a Perm organiser of this very parish, some years ago  O:-)

TG has definitely been caught out by ATMs not allowing many withdrawals in a week. I think he was in France, possibly riding DIYs to/from PBP in his (AUK) record year.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #21 on: 23 June, 2017, 11:13:38 am »
There is always the possibility of the ATM having no paper, so useful if another in locality. Most I use do not demand a withdrawal.

Of more concern is the closure of many branches of banks in rural areas and the closure of the ATM facility. Of course there is also the example of Bourton on the Water, where the ATM was stolen (ugly mess!) and the subject (Lloyds) bank is due to close. Luckily a few pubs and a local convenience store. Similarly, in Stonehouse and Broadway with branch closure.

Recently, I extracted some cash at local Perm ride Start. At next need for ATM, no Card. Worried all day about losing card or leaving in ATM. Survived with other PoPs through day. At home, phoned ATM operator – no trace. Also checked online banking – no undue withdrawals (contactless!), so new card in 3 days – Phew!.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #22 on: 23 June, 2017, 11:18:18 am »
Last weekend I had a minor disaster on a 600 regarding ATM's, on the first day, my card worked perfect and last used at 21:00 on the first night, at 06:15 next morning, I needed a POP and some cash, my card would not work in any machine, no shops open either unless I back tracked to an open garage but I was on my own at the time and being accosted by a drunk who I was beginning to think had done something to the ATM to prevent money coming out unless he removed something that was jamming it to think clearly. I just wanted to tell him to **** off and leave me alone. Having aprox £15 in cash and over 200K to go and it being  baking hot day, would that money last out for food and essential water and use my camera for pics for POP. Finally at about 10:00 in the morning ATM's started accepting my card. But that has made me think of things that can go wrong with ATM's especcially as in the past I have had my card cancelled because I have had unusual use of my card in areas that I do not normally travel to. But the bank has now reassured me that they will always get in touch with me first to confirm things before cancelling it.

But, joking on the last few audaxes I have done, I have mentioned that Audax UK should get in touch with the banking organisations to have an option installed on ATM machines to just print a POP. Just insert your card or type in Audax membership number etc, select POP from the menu and hey presto, a piece of paper comes out of the machine with name, date, time and location printed on it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23 on: 23 June, 2017, 12:08:40 pm »
Mobile top up always gives a receipt.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #24 on: 23 June, 2017, 12:34:16 pm »
But, joking on the last few audaxes I have done, I have mentioned that Audax UK should get in touch with the banking organisations to have an option installed on ATM machines to just print a POP. Just insert your card or type in Audax membership number etc, select POP from the menu and hey presto, a piece of paper comes out of the machine with name, date, time and location printed on it.

While I think this is an excellent idea I feel it would never happen. Much better to accept photographs with location turned on. The meta data will store the date and time and if you get a place sign it will position it. This will only need the agreement of the Audax organises and no need to include the banks in a software change. Some phones will also store the gps location - even better!

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.