Author Topic: Which bike to buy for Audax?  (Read 3776 times)

dim

Which bike to buy for Audax?
« on: 29 June, 2017, 03:35:25 pm »
Currently, I have one bike (a Giant TCR full carbon). It's ok for rides up to 120-140km, but becomes a bit uncomfortable on longer rides, as it has pretty aggressive geometry. I could add a shorter stem, but I'd rather get another bike which I will use for audax and winter commuting.

I will upgrade the wheels on the Giant and add some faster tyres (such as Specialized Cotton Turbo), and use this bike for fast rides on good roads

I am busy saving up and will only have approx £700-£750 so I will be looking at the used market. Ideally, I would prefer something light, hydraulic disc brakes, tubeless wide tyres, and Shimano 105 or Ultegra. I will add Dynamo lighting, mudguards and Apidura or Miss Grape bags

So, basically, I'm looking at a used Gravel bike. I've been looking at the Genesis range, aswell as Whyte. Any other suggestions?
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: Which bike to buy for Audax?
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2017, 03:54:42 pm »
I have a Cannondale synapse, it's pretty good.

dim

« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2017, 07:55:22 pm »
I have a Cannondale synapse, it's pretty good.

nice bike ... what's the widest tyres that you can use?

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2017, 08:02:15 pm »
My Synapse (2014 Synapse Disc) takes 28mm tyres but nothing bigger, though it's very comfortable to ride.  You could also try the Pinnacle range - Dolomite or Arkose, depending on what size tyres you want to fit.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #4 on: 29 June, 2017, 09:47:04 pm »
Raleigh Mustang?  I've an Elite and after 16 month can't fault it.  It has turned out to be all day comfortable geometry and it ticked all my wish list boxes:
  • Tubeless.
  • Semi hydraulic brakes so the self centring advantages at the disks but with connections from the levers any bike shop on earth can fix.
  • Thru axles so zero alignment/rub issues after a wheel off.
  • 1 by gearing.  That intruigued me and it has proven ok.  It is simple and light like the adverts say.  Yes I could do with lower gears on the hilly rides but I just tell myself I need to Rule #5.  FFS I'm invariably left for dust by every fixed on the rides I enter so it's not about the bike.
  • Guard & rack mounts
  • In the blue on black vintage rather bloody gorgeous (see the link above) I don't like the next years green on black colour sceme as much but then I wouldn't would I?

2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 30 June, 2017, 10:43:21 am »
Trek Domane 4.something. Carbon, bearing allows seat-post flex to absorb some road vibration.  I used my 2015 model with 25mm tyres and a Selle Anatomica saddle on PBP and was extremely comfortable all the way.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6 on: 30 June, 2017, 08:29:59 pm »
I really like my Cube Attain GTC Disc. The 2016 models were on sale for 999 for a while, so if anyone is selling one, you might get it for your price range? Probably limited to 28mm tyres and the mudguards are Cube specific.
This and the Synapse are more like "sportive" bikes rather than "gravel" bikes though.
I think the first bike to be given the gravel moniker was the GT Grade. They were quite affordable for a while - I guess they might be worth a look?

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #7 on: 01 July, 2017, 04:16:03 pm »
My Audax bike is a cheap and cheerful 2014 Pinnacle Dolomite 2. £450 a few years ago on the Evans end of season sale.

Pretty basic group set, shimano claris 8 speed with 50/34 up front!  I probably could squeeze in 28mm tyres as I fitted the mudguards under the fork crown / rear brake pivot using cable ties.

I've only done a few 100km audaxes on it, but you don't need to spend a fortune for a bike suitable for audax.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #8 on: 01 July, 2017, 04:37:15 pm »
Mine is a £200 Decathlon flat bar hybrid with 42mm tyres, mudguards and fittings for panniers if needed. Obviously not the fastest sandwich in the shed but it's comfortable to ride all day, gets up hills and soaks up the worst surfaces.

Wouldn't suggest you go quite as cheap as me but there are plenty of options for a suitable Audax bike under £500.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #9 on: 01 July, 2017, 05:25:07 pm »
Mine is a £200 Decathlon flat bar hybrid with 42mm tyres, mudguards and fittings for panniers if needed. Obviously not the fastest sandwich in the shed but it's comfortable to ride all day, gets up hills and soaks up the worst surfaces.

Wouldn't suggest you go quite as cheap as me but there are plenty of options for a suitable Audax bike under £500.

:thumbsup:

Thon French Purveyor of Sporting goods does do some good value for money bikes!

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #10 on: 03 July, 2017, 04:30:51 pm »
This is going to sound daft and I am really a much more of a couch audaxer than a real audaxer, so take my words in that spirit. But I find getting a lighter bike just makes a whole difference to the feel of the ride.

I commute mainly and there is a huge difference between my winter and summer bike. The latter, being lighter is just easier, especially on days when I can't be bothered.

Also I know discs are easier but I find putting disc wheels back into the frame, more of a faff than plain old style brakes (admittedly this could be user error on my part).

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #11 on: 03 July, 2017, 11:25:45 pm »
This is going to sound daft and I am really a much more of a couch audaxer than a real audaxer, so take my words in that spirit. But I find getting a lighter bike just makes a whole difference to the feel of the ride.

I commute mainly and there is a huge difference between my winter and summer bike. The latter, being lighter is just easier, especially on days when I can't be bothered.

Also I know discs are easier but I find putting disc wheels back into the frame, more of a faff than plain old style brakes (admittedly this could be user error on my part).

It's not you. It is more of a faff, because you have to be _reeeeeallly_ accurate slotting the disk into the caliper but if you get a bike with through-axles it's MUCH easier from then on.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

dim

« Reply #12 on: 14 July, 2017, 09:03:41 pm »
good suggestions! .... many thanks!

I'm still not sure what I will buy, but so far, I'm likeing a Whyte Stowe (cabon frame, hydraulic disk breaks etc)

I have some money coming soon from a property sale in South Africa, and will decide once I have the cash in hand and see what's available on the 2nd hand market on ebay and gumtree

however, I bought another old bike today for commuting and which will be my winter bike (I have to lock my bike up in Cambridge city during the day for a few hours for a new job, and I'm not keen to leave my good bike there

so, I bought an old Koga Miyata Gran Winner for £150 plus £15 shipping .... hoping to get it next week and will change the tyres, swop the saddle to the supplied Rolls saddle and use that for now .... if it is comfy and not too slow, I will use it in the meantime on some shorter Audax rides ... it has eyelets for mudguards/rack and I may add some dnynamo lighting and use it as my winter commuter:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Koga-miyata-gran-winner-vintage-steel-road-bike-/152618931041?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=1EpOENo1%252F4satdTWaX%252BLW8C5U6E%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc