Author Topic: [LEL17] Beside food what else do we get at control points on payment basis.  (Read 4657 times)

Curious ,if  can get tubes, tyres,  spares, batteries, hydration Salt/tablets, medicines etc at control points,

It is an audax ride and therefore self supported by definition.  You will have 2 bag drops so you can put salt tablets, etc in those along with batteries.  You will be riding through a number of villages and towns so you can always stock up on batteries.  There is an emergency mechanic volunteering at some controls but not guaranteed so bring some tubes but bigger controls are near to towns with bike shops.

Absolutely no chance of any medicines.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
It is an audax ride and therefore self supported by definition.

Apart from the food (guaranteed). And the bag drops. And the showers. And viaducts ...

(and although it's not guaranteed, I would bet on a qualified 1st-aider being at every control with a small pack of some medicines. I know I dished some out to several riders in 2013.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

alfapete

• Oh dear
Massage and Reiki (would you believe - I can hardly believe it myself!) at Barnard Castle.
Smiling faces, encouragement, beds, wake up calls too
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Banter

e.g.
"You weren't expecting a BED, were you?!? Don't tell me - you want to buy some inner tubes as well. Ho ho ho! "
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
There may be a condom  machine  in the gents.

HTH
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Is "salt/ tablets, medicines" a euphemism for performance enhancing substances?  ???
There may be pasta.

(No connection with any of the machine in the lavs. (I hear they have them in the girls toilets too  :thumbsup:))
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

alfapete

• Oh dear
Re-reading the original post, there is nothing you can BUY at most controls - we don't want to handle cash if we can help it.

The only thing we would charge for are bike spares if our mechanic is involved in supplying them.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

simonp

I managed to get a massage in both 2009 and 2013.

I was given single malt whisky at Traquair in 2009 and 2013, and a massage in 2013 (I think at Traquair and can't remember if I had to pay a few quid for it).  Whisky was gratis.

Lovely walk around the gardens at Forde Abbey on the recent Merry Monk. Wanted to take a look in the glasshouses but I needed a wee, so didn't.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane

And if anyone is capable of making proper use of the contents immediately after 1400km on an inch-wide slap of leather they deserve a special finisher's medal.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
There are several interesting/ scurrilous stories of goings on during 1200km brevets. Ask some of the old hands after they are a few pints in.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

These are clearly better men and women than I'll ever be - I raise my (ahem) hat to them
Eddington Number = 132

And if anyone is capable of making proper use of the contents immediately after 1400km on an inch-wide slap of leather they deserve a special finisher's medal.

Seriously, this is probably a sign that your saddle is unsuitable for you, and the main reason why I gave up using any kind of Brooks-like saddle.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I have also heard stories of Randonneurs Of Old riding others on long brevets...

So is this something to do with Bonk Rations?  I've heard of those in the cycling world and I'm beginning to think I've misunderstood what was on offer.  Should I have said yes?

I'm probably risking ridicule with this question but any chance of a foam roller at controls?

I find them very useful for tight quads etc but it will be difficult to fit even a mini version in a drop bag.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
I have also heard stories of Randonneurs Of Old riding others on long brevets...

Great Eastern 1000 circa 1986 springs to mind.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

I'm probably risking ridicule with this question but any chance of a foam roller at controls?

I find them very useful for tight quads etc but it will be difficult to fit even a mini version in a drop bag.

I don't know about foam rollers, but some controls will offer massages. It may be free or not, it all depends on the local team at each control