Author Topic: [LEL17] Top tips for doing LEL  (Read 18149 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Top tips for doing LEL
« Reply #50 on: 17 July, 2017, 11:20:02 pm »
If you're are worried about gear cables may I suggest you quickly get use to riding a fixed. There's over 10 days until LEL, plenty of time to learn how to spin downhill.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #51 on: 17 July, 2017, 11:54:41 pm »
The practicality of changing broken cables at the roadside depends on the kind of shifter involved.  If it's a bar-end or similar, then no drama.  If the cable breaks at the nipple (as it tends to do) inside a trigger or twist grip shifter, then you'll have to hope someone at the next control has some jeweller's screwdrivers (which are also useful for saving the day of glasses-wearers).  Jurek will be along in a minute to explain why you shouldn't even attempt to field-strip an STI to remove the broken cable end...

I had this happen about 300 km into a not-flat 400 km, with Shimano 105 5800 STIs, and the bike was less than a year old. I only managed to repair it after I got home, upon which I discovered there's a handy inspection panel on the bottom which exposes the gear mechanism and allowed removal of the broken nipple. It's secured by a small-ish crosshead screw, which you may or may not have in your toolkit. I'd be happy enough doing it at the roadside now.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #52 on: 18 July, 2017, 02:34:07 am »
If you're are worried about gear cables [...]

Di2.

Next.

« Reply #53 on: 18 July, 2017, 05:40:56 am »
whats the sign....a panicky wave of the hand?

No need to be panicky, just pushing rearward with your open hand in a "get the f*** out of my wheel right now" fashion.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #54 on: 18 July, 2017, 06:23:34 am »
Di2.

Next.

If going down that line then surely SRAM red etap?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #55 on: 18 July, 2017, 10:39:18 am »
Di2?  On my last ride the Front Derailleur stopped working for about 20 minutes, then started working for an hour, then stopped working for 10 minutes, and has worked fine ever since.  I can't see that this is a cable issue, unless it is an internal break. I'm putting it down to the evil Garmin Gods.  The 810 persistently told me the Di2 battery was low, and when the front derailleur 'came back' the Garmin shifted into an adjustment mode I didn't know it had ...

« Reply #56 on: 18 July, 2017, 10:49:59 am »
And more on topic: mesh ("string") vest

« Reply #57 on: 18 July, 2017, 04:37:44 pm »
And more on topic: mesh ("string") vest

When in Scotland , dress like the natives,eh?  ;)

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #58 on: 18 July, 2017, 04:47:32 pm »
Get a Rapha string vest. Far more elegant!

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #59 on: 19 July, 2017, 04:44:07 am »
Di2?  On my last ride the Front Derailleur stopped working for about 20 minutes, then started working for an hour, then stopped working for 10 minutes, and has worked fine ever since.  I can't see that this is a cable issue, unless it is an internal break. I'm putting it down to the evil Garmin Gods.  The 810 persistently told me the Di2 battery was low, and when the front derailleur 'came back' the Garmin shifted into an adjustment mode I didn't know it had ...

Good point. Top tips for Di2 users:
- make sure the system is all charged before the start
- (If you have the D-fly ANT+ accessory, make sure it has up to date firmware to fix an evil battery draining bug)
- always carry the system charger with you, not rely on it being in a drop bag
- in cold weather, the battery voltage will drop faster (which does indeed cause the FD to stop working first)

All 4 points were learnt from a single character-building experience on the Colorado High Country 1200km. We survived, but 200km on a tandem with strictly rationed rear-only gear shifts in sub-zero conditions on high-altitude climbs in the dark was not our finest hour.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #60 on: 19 July, 2017, 07:38:35 am »

And what'll that cost - about £120?  (£20 for the materials, £1 for the person sewing it together and £99 for the logo.)  ;)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #61 on: 19 July, 2017, 01:12:45 pm »
I've replaced several gear cables for other riders during long brevets. There is always somebody who dodges the bullet but your chances keep worsening the longer you keep doing it.

Agreed. I always change gear cables before a long Audax due to the propensity of the particular (Campag) right shifter to chew cables. Last week I also changed bar tape and gel padding, tyres & tubes, chain, cassette, brake cables, as well as regreasing bearings.

There's a lot invested in the ride so why leave little things to chance when I no know there little chance of a mechanical. Tested it all on a 300km ride around Oxfordshire yesterday; if it can survive 300km on road surfaces of such appalling quality, after years of under-investment by Oxon councils, I am confident!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #62 on: 19 July, 2017, 05:16:07 pm »

Di2.

Next.

No: fixed.  Next.

Obviously!  :P
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #63 on: 19 July, 2017, 05:17:08 pm »

Ay, but they don't 'alf stink after a few hours — something to do with the fancy materials ...
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

simonp

« Reply #64 on: 19 July, 2017, 05:22:52 pm »

Di2.

Next.

But I can't decide what gear to use!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #65 on: 19 July, 2017, 06:29:22 pm »
I've seen on Facebook that Olaf has devised a method of labelling his shoes with his name and Rider Number so he gets his own shoes on leaving a control (and remembers his name when in a sleep-deprived state...)

Seems like an excellent idea to me!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #66 on: 19 July, 2017, 06:51:48 pm »

Di2.

Next.

But I can't decide what gear to use!

The DI2 battery will decide that for you...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #67 on: 19 July, 2017, 06:53:20 pm »
I've seen on Facebook that Olaf has devised a method of labelling his shoes with his name and Rider Number so he gets the his own shoes on leaving a control (and remembers his name when in a sleep-deprived state...)

If your bike is sufficiently boring, it might be a good idea to label that too (the memorability of rider numbers being somewhat varable).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #68 on: 19 July, 2017, 07:52:38 pm »
I've seen on Facebook that Olaf has devised a method of labelling his shoes with his name and Rider Number so he gets the his own shoes on leaving a control (and remembers his name when in a sleep-deprived state...)

If your bike is sufficiently boring, it might be a good idea to label that too (the memorability of rider numbers being somewhat varable).

I understand members of this parish have supplied suitable labels (AKA 'Nameplates/Badges') to order.

« Reply #69 on: 19 July, 2017, 08:49:42 pm »
As a volunteer a big thumbs up for labels, marker pen and tags on things -there will be plenty of the same gps's,  bike bags, water bottles, shoes, etc and  plenty of tired minds. It will help you pick up the right one,  not pick up the wrong one and help us solve "whose is this issues with anything that gets left behind.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #70 on: 19 July, 2017, 08:57:44 pm »
I really like Olaf's shoe labels!

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #71 on: 19 July, 2017, 09:38:01 pm »

Thanks!

This is what hellymedic is takling about:

You'll have to remove your shoes at most controls to protect the floors from cleat damage. In 2013, there were several reports of shoe mixups which caused significant hassle for shoeless riders. Hence I today labeled mine, using a laminated badge and some cable ties. Also helpful to prevent forgetting my name no matter how sleep deprived I am.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #72 on: 19 July, 2017, 09:54:46 pm »
In 2013, there were several reports of shoe mixups which caused significant hassle for shoeless riders.
And resulted in some cycling 200km in sandals that were one size too small!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #73 on: 20 July, 2017, 01:05:09 pm »

Thanks!

This is what hellymedic is takling about:

You'll have to remove your shoes at most controls to protect the floors from cleat damage. In 2013, there were several reports of shoe mixups which caused significant hassle for shoeless riders. Hence I today labeled mine, using a laminated badge and some cable ties. Also helpful to prevent forgetting my name no matter how sleep deprived I am.

FAIL.  No L/R indication  ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #74 on: 20 July, 2017, 01:15:13 pm »
Rather than a visual system I rely upon olfactory labelling.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."