Author Topic: Compact pump that isn't rubbish and is also Schrader compatible?  (Read 5915 times)

Hi - I'm looking for a compact pump that isn't rubbish and is also Schrader compatible, does such a thing exist? It's mainly to carry with my Brompton, which is a "Superlight" model, so didn't come with a pump (or frame mount for one). I know there's the Brompton Zefal pump that most Bromptons come with, but I'd like something smaller and lighter, like the pumps made for road bikes. It will only be for emergency use, at home I'll use my track pump. If it's compatible with both Presta (which I have on my touring bike) and Schrader, all the better, but just schrader would be fine. Thanks!
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

Re: Compact pump that isn't rubbish and is also Schrader compatible?
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2017, 04:51:51 pm »
Would also be nice if it as a hose, as there isn't much space between the spokes on a 16" Brompton wheel to get the pump into, especially if it has a lever on the back of the head...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2017, 04:58:35 pm »
My Brompton's got the stock Zefal pump, which is a bit rubbish at high pressures.  I certainly wouldn't want anything smaller.  I normally carry a CO2 inflator which will do a decent job of the first puncture (after which I accept that I'll have to limp home on squidgy tyres, or fold it up and use a bus/train/taxi).

If I were touring on it, I'd probably just stick the Road Morph in my bag.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 06 July, 2017, 05:01:31 pm »
Would also be nice if it as a hose, as there isn't much space between the spokes on a 16" Brompton wheel to get the pump into, especially if it has a lever on the back of the head...

This might also help - I've used it to good effect on wheels with even less space[1] than the Brompton: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/valve-adapters/265-pressure-rite-schrader-valve-adapter

[1] Child's bike, hub motor.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4 on: 06 July, 2017, 05:02:17 pm »
i use this pump, and can recommend it. it fits your requirements too.

« Reply #5 on: 06 July, 2017, 05:08:46 pm »
My Brompton's got the stock Zefal pump, which is a bit rubbish at high pressures.  I certainly wouldn't want anything smaller.  I normally carry a CO2 inflator which will do a decent job of the first puncture (after which I accept that I'll have to limp home on squidgy tyres, or fold it up and use a bus/train/taxi).

If I were touring on it, I'd probably just stick the Road Morph in my bag.

I do have a lightweight C02 inflator (a Genuine Innovations Airchuck 2), but am aware that if you mess up the inflation, you're a bit stuck. Also tyres inflated with C02 go down more quickly than ones pump with air, so if using my Brompton for a multi-day tour (which I intend to) that might be a problem.

« Reply #6 on: 06 July, 2017, 05:15:08 pm »

Looks good!

« Reply #7 on: 06 July, 2017, 05:18:38 pm »

Seems mostly okay from this review: http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/pumps-puncture-repair/lezyne-carbon-drive-lite-mini-pump

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 06 July, 2017, 05:24:52 pm »
I do have a lightweight C02 inflator (a Genuine Innovations Airchuck 2), but am aware that if you mess up the inflation, you're a bit stuck.

That's why it's worth spending a few more grams on one that screws on properly.  I can recommend this one: Cheap, works well, fits both Presta and Schrader: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-cnc-co2-inflator-thread-on-valve-head/

Also tyres inflated with C02 go down more quickly than ones pump with air, so if using my Brompton for a multi-day tour (which I intend to) that might be a problem.

Agreed.  CO2 is a get-you-home solution (Brompton tyres go down fast enough with air).  Sounds like zigzag's pump suggestion is a winner.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 06 July, 2017, 07:31:05 pm »
Oxford Guy should never get any leaks with his fabulous push-on AirChuck 2.  Well, that's assuming it works as well on Schraders as Prestas.  Running out of gas for later use is then the only mess up to worry about.  Yes, a good pump is essential for multi-days.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #10 on: 06 July, 2017, 07:54:25 pm »
I replaced the schraeder valved inner tubes on my Brompton with presta valve ones. A bit harder to find in the shops but makes inflating easier, and suitable pumps easier to find.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #11 on: 06 July, 2017, 07:56:00 pm »
Both Road Morph and Mini Morph come with a hose and configurable Presta/Schrader connection.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 06 July, 2017, 08:31:12 pm »
I replaced the schraeder valved inner tubes on my Brompton with presta valve ones. A bit harder to find in the shops but makes inflating easier, and suitable pumps easier to find.

+1

Mostly for compatibility with our other cycles - I have a Prestaflator (which is a thing of beauty and a joy forever) and it seemed a shame not to be able to use it on the bike with the tyres that need topping up most often.  But I do find Presta valves slightly easier to work with.

Top tip: The Brompton-issue Zefal pump's head can be converted to Presta in the usual way (unscrew the end, invert the plastic widget).

« Reply #13 on: 06 July, 2017, 08:40:37 pm »

Interesting, can you use Presta valves in the original Schrader rims with an adaptor nut or something?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #14 on: 06 July, 2017, 08:41:18 pm »
Topeak Race Rocket has a hose, and compatible with Schrader (though I've only ever used it with Presta). Its a lot smaller and lighter than the Morph pumps, though will take a bit more effort to pump up.
There is also a Racerocket HP, which has a narrower barrel, so should be better for higher pressures.

« Reply #15 on: 06 July, 2017, 08:42:59 pm »

+1

Mostly for compatibility with our other cycles - I have a Prestaflator (which is a thing of beauty and a joy forever) and it seemed a shame not to be able to use it on the bike with the tyres that need topping up most often.  But I do find Presta valves slightly easier to work with.

Do you mean you find Shrader valves easier to work with?

That Prestaflator looks great, BTW you do know you can get a Shrader adaptor for it?: https://www.prestacycle.com/product/prestacycle-right-angle-quick-clip-schrader-head/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 06 July, 2017, 08:44:00 pm »

Interesting, can you use Presta valves in the original Schrader rims with an adaptor nut or something?

Yep:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rims-tape/mavic-rim-valve-hole-drilling-converter-insert-schraeder-to-presta/
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rims-tape/wheels-manufacturing-presta-tube-stem-saver-fits-schrader-rims/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 06 July, 2017, 08:50:49 pm »

+1

No, Presta:  Less air escapes when you remove the pump, the threaded valve stem means the valve doesn't hide in the rim when you attach the pump[1], and you don't need to arse about with valve caps.

That Prestaflator looks great, BTW you do know you can get a Shrader adaptor for it?: https://www.prestacycle.com/product/prestacycle-right-angle-quick-clip-schrader-head/

Sure, but I've already got a (less high quality, but functional) Schrader tyre inflator that came with the compressor.  It was awkward to use with the Brompton, though, due to the chuck being straight rather than right-angled, with a cheap, stiff hose.

[1] A rim/tube specific problem this.  Most combinations are fine.  Schwalbe Schrader tubes have a proper threaded valve stem with a locknut.

« Reply #18 on: 06 July, 2017, 09:05:22 pm »

+1

No, Presta:  Less air escapes when you remove the pump, the threaded valve stem means the valve doesn't hide in the rim when you attach the pump[1], and you don't need to arse about with valve caps.

Sure, I was just slightly confused with the way you worded it. BTW I still use valve caps with Presta valves to keep them clean and help prevent damage, though it's less essential than with Shrader valves. I have Presta valves on my Hewitt touring bike.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 06 July, 2017, 09:07:29 pm »
I only bother with the Presta valve caps on my mountain bike (because mud).  And on spare tubes, obviously.  Never had a problem from not using valve caps on the road.  *shrug*

« Reply #20 on: 06 July, 2017, 09:41:30 pm »
I use a presta dustcap on the rear tyre, because the rear wheel gets covered in crud and some of it may get into the valve otherwise.

BTW it is a good idea to briefly release a presta valve before pumping a tyre up; this does two things

1) ensures that the valve is not jammed shut (which if it is, may require an absurd overpressure to cause it to open) and
2) blows any crud out of the valve workings

cheers

« Reply #21 on: 06 July, 2017, 10:15:10 pm »
I use a presta dustcap on the rear tyre, because the rear wheel gets covered in crud and some of it may get into the valve otherwise.

BTW it is a good idea to briefly release a presta valve before pumping a tyre up; this does two things

1) ensures that the valve is not jammed shut (which if it is, may require an absurd overpressure to cause it to open) and
2) blows any crud out of the valve workings

cheers

Thanks for the tips. BTW Brompton rear wheels, in particular, seem to accumulate crud...

The one thing I do sometimes find annoying about Presta valves is the the inner cores can get bent very easily.

« Reply #22 on: 06 July, 2017, 10:59:02 pm »
BTW if money was no object (which is not the case) and I only needed Presta valve pumping, this would be extremely desirable: https://silca.cc/collections/mobile-inflation/products/pocket-impero

It's a bit heavy (well in compact pump terms) at 150g, though

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 06 July, 2017, 11:07:09 pm »
The one thing I do sometimes find annoying about Presta valves is the the inner cores can get bent very easily.

That's also a reason to avoid pump heads that need a lot of wiggling to get them on and off.   :hand:

« Reply #24 on: 06 July, 2017, 11:16:02 pm »
This compact pump with gauge looks pretty good, similar design to the Lezyne, though a bit larger and heavier: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Bikes-Cycling-Equipment/Presta-Schrader-Compatible-Reliable-Bicycle-Mountain-Pressure/B00XLGKTY2/

Or is it not worth having a pump with in-built gauge?