Author Topic: Starting from scratch  (Read 19071 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Starting from scratch
« Reply #100 on: 14 September, 2017, 04:15:30 am »
What is this "gym" of which you speak?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Samuel D

« Reply #101 on: 14 September, 2017, 09:03:55 am »
The word comes from the Ancient Greek gymnós, which means naked, which is about how you feel in them no matter what you wear.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #102 on: 14 September, 2017, 02:23:26 pm »
Running, as the word implies, requires that you travel faster than walking. Cycling merely requires that you balance on a bike.

Well it actually means walking but that both your feet are off the ground simultaneously at some point (like most 50KM Olympic "Walkers" do a lot actually).

That's why being light helps with running, you're actually getting airborne, and why running whilst overweight is so terrible for your joints, the impacts are worse than when walking. 
Check out any large participation running event, the amount of knee and ankle strapping is something to behold.  How many people are running injured I wonder?

Cycling merely requires that you balance on a bike...........until you get to a series of tough climbs then you need fitness and strength as well as gears (Wowbagger, you do yourself an injustice by implying that you don't have cycling strength and fitness).  It's always a surprise when I cycle with "non-cyclists" just how fit they make my cyclist friends seem when we get to the first slope (not even a hill).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #103 on: 14 September, 2017, 02:56:21 pm »
Running, as the word implies, requires that you travel faster than walking. Cycling merely requires that you balance on a bike.

Well it actually means walking but that both your feet are off the ground simultaneously at some point (like most 50KM Olympic "Walkers" do a lot actually).

Indeed, action/technique is separate from speed.

I can "run" at a speed that is slower than my fast walk, but (obviously) even my medium paced running is faster than my fastest walk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M36rR_txnRY is a good video highlighting the differences.

I walk at about 5.5 to 5.75 kph (looking at the splits from a section I walked during a marathon earlier this year) so it felt quite uncomfortable when I went for a training walk with my wife (she's training for a walking marathon - not a race walk, just a walk) as she walks faster than me. 9:15/km was the best individual km split which is almost bang on 6.5kph. That doesn't seem much difference (0.75kph) but it's close to 15% faster than I like to walk, which was enough to make it feel unnatural (for almost a full 4 hours!)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #104 on: 14 September, 2017, 04:26:17 pm »
Race walkers can "walk" 5k faster than I can run it. :-[

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #105 on: 14 September, 2017, 04:57:36 pm »
Cycling merely requires that you balance on a bike...........until you get to a series of tough climbs then you need fitness and strength as well as gears (Wowbagger, you do yourself an injustice by implying that you don't have cycling strength and fitness). 

Cycling requires neither balance nor fitness and strength, but engineering beyond that of a standard bicycle (tricycles, gearing, motors, etc) is required to make up for their absence.

It's always a surprise when I cycle with "non-cyclists" just how fit they make my cyclist friends seem when we get to the first slope (not even a hill).

For the same effect in reverse, go cycling with an ostensibly unfit e-bike rider.   :-[

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #106 on: 14 September, 2017, 05:13:46 pm »
It's always a surprise when I cycle with "non-cyclists" just how fit they make my cyclist friends seem when we get to the first slope (not even a hill).

That must mean I'm not one of LEE's cyclist friends...  snail-paced going over a typical railway bridge, I am.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #107 on: 14 September, 2017, 05:35:32 pm »

That must mean I'm not one of LEE's cyclist friends...  snail-paced going over a typical railway bridge, I am.

I'd suggest that 'cyclists' are more likely to keep riding, even if they have to do it at a crawl, while 'non-cyclists' faced with a climb are more inclined to keep stopping for rests or get off and walk.  Pacing yourself becomes easier with experience, and you're not going to have cycling-up-hills experience if you rarely cycle.  You may have walking-up-hills-with-a-load experience, thobut.

But as with all generalisations, there are plenty of exceptions.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #108 on: 14 September, 2017, 05:44:59 pm »
I'd suggest that 'cyclists' are more likely to keep riding, even if they have to do it at a crawl, while 'non-cyclists' faced with a climb are more inclined to keep stopping for rests or get off and walk and CrinklyLions will tend to get off and let convenient teens or aunties or uncles, who've already ridden up the hill once on their solo, run back down and pilot the tandem for the SmallestCub the rest of the way.

FTFY ;)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #109 on: 14 September, 2017, 06:54:34 pm »
Tried to go for a ride today but my legs were still so sore from spinning I only did 15 miles.

I'll skip the gym tonight!
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #110 on: 21 September, 2017, 09:48:37 am »
I admire you for every effort. This inspired me to create some effort as well. I'm also 50 and all I do is sit and sit and watch my garden.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #111 on: 21 September, 2017, 09:53:35 pm »
Thank you for that affirmation 🙂🙂
Milk please, no sugar.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #112 on: 24 September, 2017, 08:26:36 am »
Yesterday wasn't so good. Changed the batteries the night before in the bathroom scales. This led to a 6lb weight gain overnight. So I ate five pains au chocolat out of sheer peevishness.

This is why not to weigh myself obsessively!

Today I could've gone to the gym but all the classes coincide with this morning's church services so that's out. And this afternoon I'm going to support our former curate as she's inducted into her first incumbency some miles away.

But there's time for a run!
Milk please, no sugar.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #113 on: 04 November, 2017, 12:27:54 am »
So, a month off exercising due to a cold that turned into a chest infection.  And I'm feeling better now but going to be sensible and not exercise for another two weeks because chronic respiratory condition plus acute chest infection.  I still feel like shit, but I'm going back to work tomorrow because I know they will struggle to cover my shifts over the weekend.

And then I read this article

http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-most-unhealthy-jobs-in-america-2015-11/#4-veterinarians-and-veterinary-assistants-and-technicians-24

And the job I do now is about number THREE in the most unhealthy jobs.  But that's okay, because I'm looking to change jobs.  Oh look!  The new job is number TWENTY ONE in the list of the most unhealthy jobs!  What a tremendously tremendous improvement that is. Treeeemendous.  Tremendous.

Anyway.  Even if I can't exercise, I can eat really good food.  Which I have been doing.  I've gained weight, but that's not the end of the world. It's frustrating, because my climbing on the bike was getting better and better.  And my running was going really well.   And I will have lost all those gains.  But I've been frustrated before and I didn't die.

And I'm off Prozac.  Which I've been on since 2012.  So that's good.

I can't wait to get back out there.  And maybe when you have a chronic respiratory condition, you have to accept that a few months out of every year will be written off. 

Acceptance.  That's a spiritual thing, that is.  Bah.
Milk please, no sugar.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #114 on: 04 November, 2017, 10:18:05 am »
Glad you're trending towards better, but absolutely hear you about the long recovery when lurg is bad and losing weeks/months every year to lurg.  Asthma is under-recognised as a serious issue for some people.

Good luck with new job, sounds exciting!

My acceptance of StuffTM tends to be somewhat swearier than spiritual ;)

« Reply #115 on: 04 November, 2017, 11:58:21 am »
Really pleased to hear your heading in the right direction Ruthie.

Another good thing is that all the work you've done is work that you won't actually need to do again. Weight can come and go, but you've started building that foundation.

As for acceptance, I still struggle to accept with grace without giving up. Have at it girl:)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #116 on: 04 November, 2017, 10:58:45 pm »
 :D

Thanks Barakta and sojournermike.
Milk please, no sugar.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #117 on: 05 November, 2017, 09:40:49 am »
And I'm off Prozac.  Which I've been on since 2012.  So that's good.
Sounds like it's probably the most important thing, and sounds good.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #118 on: 10 November, 2017, 10:20:15 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Little set backs but congrats on the meds.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #119 on: 11 November, 2017, 02:07:03 pm »
Very gratifying read! (Ruthie is now off the scale regarding awesomeness).
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #120 on: 11 November, 2017, 06:30:41 pm »
Wot they all said  :thumbsup:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #121 on: 11 November, 2017, 06:45:02 pm »
Excellent news Ruthie. Keep on keeping on.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #122 on: 17 November, 2017, 09:02:02 am »
Yeah, keep chipping away at it Ruthie.

You may not make the podium at the Olympics but every time you go for a walk, go for a ride or eat a healthy option, it's better than not doing.

5 Pains au Chocolat?  That in itself is an achievement, I think I've managed 3.  On the whole though a bike ride is a better way to deal with peevishness.

As for acceptance..Pah!  I'm afraid they'll find my body on a steep hill, presumably it finally gave in, trying to keep up with a 21 year old club rider.  I'm not good at acceptance.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #123 on: 23 December, 2017, 06:16:34 pm »
Well I actually went on a bike ride today. I took it easy, as I’m still post-viral, but there was sun on my face. Wow. When it’s December and you work ten hour shifts in a department with no windows, that feels pretty damn nice. Nice enough that I closed my eyes in pleasure. Twat. Anyway when you have what is called ‘mental health ‘ these days (how mad is that) going back to your safety valve is so good. I went to something called Body Balance at the gym last week and as well as falling over a lot it really seemed to make my feet hurt.

Anyway, riding a bike is really good. And I didn’t struggle getting up my test hill so at least some of my strength is still there.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #124 on: 23 December, 2017, 06:26:17 pm »
  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: