Author Topic: Cable cutters  (Read 2056 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Cable cutters
« on: 22 July, 2017, 07:17:05 pm »

I'm in the market for a pai9f cable cutters for doing both inner and outer cables. Seem that you can pay anything from about 4 quid, to 50. Given such a bewildering choice, can anyone recommend a good pair of cable cutters for inners and outers ?

Thanks

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Cable cutters
« Reply #1 on: 22 July, 2017, 07:23:01 pm »
I've got one of these:  http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-tools-pro-cable-cutter/

No problems with inner.  It cuts through outer admirably well, but makes something of a mess of the end of coiled brake outer (seems to depend on the alignment of the coil with the cutting end, so if you have a couple of goes you can often get a neater result).  I suspect that any similar cutter will have that problem, and if you want really neat results you'd need to use a dremel or something.

Top tip: Put an off-cut of inner inside the outer that you're cutting, to prevent it being crushed.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 22 July, 2017, 07:25:58 pm »
There are a number of good cycle-specific tools but Knipex make some excellent side cutters that also do a very nice job. One bike shop I worked at had a well-used set that was always the first choice for cutting inner or outer cables.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 22 July, 2017, 07:26:35 pm »
Mine are branded BBB professional and do everything I want from them.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 22 July, 2017, 08:15:01 pm »
There are a number of good cycle-specific tools but Knipex make some excellent side cutters that also do a very nice job. One bike shop I worked at had a well-used set that was always the first choice for cutting inner or outer cables.

I have a couple of sets of Knipex cutters for electronics purposes, and I can't recommend them highly enough.  I'm not surprised that the larger ones are equally excellent.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 22 July, 2017, 08:34:39 pm »
I've got one of these:  http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-tools-pro-cable-cutter/

No problems with inner.  It cuts through outer admirably well, but makes something of a mess of the end of coiled brake outer (seems to depend on the alignment of the coil with the cutting end, so if you have a couple of goes you can often get a neater result).  I suspect that any similar cutter will have that problem, and if you want really neat results you'd need to use a dremel or something.

Top tip: Put an off-cut of inner inside the outer that you're cutting, to prevent it being crushed.

Not a brand that seems common here in the Netherlands. Will add it to the next order I place with wiggle or CRC.

Cheers

J
--

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 22 July, 2017, 09:43:48 pm »
Park.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Samuel D

« Reply #7 on: 22 July, 2017, 11:58:56 pm »
I too like the Park Tool CN-10. I follow up with a file.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #8 on: 23 July, 2017, 12:03:39 am »
I have a pair of Tacx cable cutters which should be available in NL.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #9 on: 23 July, 2017, 06:56:50 am »
Don't go cheap. Cheap cable cutters are infuriating. Mine are Park, and they work.

« Reply #10 on: 23 July, 2017, 10:58:10 am »
one LBS near me uses 8" side  "CK" brand side cutters. Even in daily use they last about a year, so I think they must be pretty good quality. ~6" Bahco ones are great for inner cable but you need to be strong to cut some outer cables with them.

IME the thing that most quickly knackers cutters is cutting SIS gear housing with them; the wires are made of spring temper steel that is only a bit less hard than piano wire. Once the cutting edges are dulled, the next thing that you find is that you can't make clean cuts in inner cable or spiral wound outer any more. However the cutters may continue to cut SIS housing OK, whilst driving you nuts on every other job. So one approach is to use one set of (sharp) cutters for inners and spiral wound outer, and keep a different set for SIS outer only.

However a long time ago I discovered that the quality and longevity of my cable setups was significantly improved if I dressed the cable housing ends after cutting.  [If you take a look at the wire strands in SIS cable when they have been cut, you can see why they sometimes chew their way through plastic ferrules; the end of every reinforcement strand can look (and work) like a little chisel.]

Now, filing is tedious and quickly buggers up the file if you dress SIS gear housing (which needs it most) this way. Grinding is better.  Thus I rarely bother to cut outer housing using cutters these days; if I am going to grind the ends square anyway I will cut the housing using an ultra-thin cutting disc and then dress the (plastic) burrs from the sleeving and the liner.  The result of this is that I have not had to buy a new set of cable cutters for a very long time....

BTW the smallest and easiest tool to use when cutting housing, spokes etc is probably a set of compound action side cutters; these reduce the force required at the handle to about half that of other tools with similar length handles and jaws. Maun Industries

https://www.maunindustries.com/heavy-duty-cutter/

make some excellent tools of this sort, but the jaws will still wear (unsurprisingly) and they are eye-wateringly expensive; I bought some secondhand.

cheers

« Reply #11 on: 23 July, 2017, 08:59:17 pm »
I have a Facom side-cutter which was a very expensive present reserved for bike cables. It still works well after more than 10 years but I have not done many SIS cables with it and I have avoided abusing it in any other way.
I also have a very cheap small bolt-cropper which opens to 5mm max and would undoubtedly have done a fine job once. It was bought for cutting 5mm stainless cable  for a dog restraint but subsequently using it on small padlocks with lost keys for people has rather dulled its edge. It cuts spokes and 4mm screws very well though!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12 on: 24 July, 2017, 12:30:05 am »
My IceToolz cutters are in need of sharpening after 5 years of constant use. They still cut cables reliably but make heavy work of outers, particularly 4mm gear casing and the pin has broken in the built in awl.

Oxford's 'Torque' cable cutters are a recent addition and, so far, are proving strong and reliable, making short work of everything including stainless spokes and redundant cable locks.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #13 on: 24 July, 2017, 01:33:46 pm »
Park Tool here. No noticeable drop in performance in 10 years use on 5 of my bikes plus anyone else's I happen to be working on. Dremel to dress the outers, plus small awl to make their bores round again.
Note well Kim's tip of having a few cms of sacrificial inner inserted into the outer where you are making the cut.
Do the above and your outers will be finished to Rimas' (Very high) standards.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 13 September, 2017, 02:24:51 pm »

A pair of Park tools CN10 cable cutters arrived in the post today.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations.

J
--