Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL on a hand crank  (Read 3199 times)

[LEL17] LEL on a hand crank
« on: 11 August, 2017, 09:02:46 pm »
Just been talking to a mate who rides a hand crank bike about the possibility of riding LEL 2021 and he seems quite keen at the idea of a challange.  I Don't remember seeing anyone riding a hand crank bike in 2013 or 2017.  Has anyone ever attempted LEL on a hand crank, or would this be a world first?  Also, I was wondering, what are the controls like for accessibility?  Louth has step free access but are the others also step free?
Many thanks, lee.

Re: LEL on a hand crank
« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2017, 09:09:04 pm »
Barnard Castle has steps unless there is another entrance.

If there was dedicated support for him at each control then it might be easier.

« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2017, 09:10:42 pm »
To the best of my knowledge, one person has succeeded on PBP.  Several have attempted it.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2017, 09:33:57 pm »
IH is correct. The first handcranker was at PBP99 and the first one to finish was at PBP15.

Handcranking any long brevet is not a trivial challenge. The steeper LEL hills would be the main timekiller.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2017, 10:01:40 pm »
IH is correct. The first handcranker was at PBP99 and the first one to finish was at PBP15.

Handcranking any long brevet is not a trivial challenge. The steeper LEL hills would be the main timekiller.

Saw the guy in 2015 and I completely welled-up and have rarely felt so in awe and inadequate in my whole life. Absolutely incredible achievement.

« Reply #5 on: 11 August, 2017, 10:33:37 pm »

Completing LEL on any bike is not a trivial challenge :)  But yes the hills will be time consuming.  I reckon minimising time lost at the controls will be key to finishing in time.

Another idea I have thought of is to build up a tandem with foot pedals at one end and a hand crank at the other and ride it along with an AB rider who could also help at controls.  Something like this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208417244769915&set=a.10208417243129874.1073741858.1269904677&type=3&theater

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 11 August, 2017, 10:46:05 pm »
I spent a bit of time on the last morning of PBP15 leapfrogging the handcranker to clap and cheer him (wish I could recall his name). He was very efficient through controls (mostly scooting very short distances off his machine when I saw him) and met his support crew at each control.

I don't recall previous PBP handcrankers being amputees, so he had less weight to drag up hills. A tandem is a good idea, of course. Previous handcrankers had problems with average speed and lack of sleep.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #7 on: 11 August, 2017, 11:19:24 pm »
Barnard Castle has steps unless there is another entrance.

If there was dedicated support for him at each control then it might be easier.

There was a ramp to the side of those steps :)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #8 on: 11 August, 2017, 11:27:57 pm »
Just for one moment, imagine the reception from the volunteers at each control.

This alone makes the entire mad, impossible scheme worthwhile.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #9 on: 12 August, 2017, 04:22:07 am »
To the best of my knowledge, one person has succeeded on PBP.  Several have attempted it.

Mirco Bressanelli. He finished in just under 88 hours. http://imgur.com/a/79YWs

« Reply #10 on: 12 August, 2017, 07:42:20 am »
Just been talking to a mate who rides a hand crank bike about the possibility of riding LEL 2021 and he seems quite keen at the idea of a challange.  I Don't remember seeing anyone riding a hand crank bike in 2013 or 2017.  Has anyone ever attempted LEL on a hand crank, or would this be a world first?  Also, I was wondering, what are the controls like for accessibility?  Louth has step free access but are the others also step free?
Many thanks, lee.

Lee, is this the same chap who's coming to race at Derby Velodrome on the 19th? if so he looks an extremely strong rider?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 12 August, 2017, 08:28:42 am »
Saw him starting. He went round faster than I ever did.

IIRC the legs make up ~40% of body weight.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #12 on: 12 August, 2017, 08:31:15 am »
Pretty much every control LEL uses is a school, so will have some sort of step-free access.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #13 on: 12 August, 2017, 11:38:29 am »
Pretty much every control LEL uses is a school, so will have some sort of step-free access.
And IIRC Eskdalemuir has step-free access at the back entrance by the bike parking.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #14 on: 12 August, 2017, 02:11:37 pm »
Lee, is this the same chap who's coming to race at Derby Velodrome on the 19th? if so he looks an extremely strong rider?
Nope, though Steve cook is also a very strong rider, currently training for an Ironman.

« Reply #15 on: 12 August, 2017, 02:54:11 pm »

IIRC the legs make up ~40% of body weight.

So its basically cheating!