Author Topic: Rosie Swale-Pope  (Read 2138 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Rosie Swale-Pope
« on: 30 August, 2017, 11:20:21 am »
Yesterday evening , on the way back from Thee Pubbe, I spied a recumbent looking vehicle parked on the side of the road on the edge of Crawley. It was more a long thin caravan than bike and light came from within, so I stopped for a chat.

The occupant turned out to be a woman called Rosie Swale-Pope, who was running from London to Brighton towing the thing, inna horse and cart stylee, raising money for an organisation called Pilgrim Bandits. She's crazy rather inspirational, having done stuff like run round the world, run across Iceland, run across America, that kind of thing.  Her plan for getting to Brighton seemed to be wait until late night, then set off southwards, when the traffic is lighter.  I pointed out that her route was taking her over Ditchling Beacon and emailed her a possible alternative via Clayton Hill when I got home.  Thinking about it though, going over Ditchling Beacon isn't too tricky for someone who has done the stuff she has. Oh, she was also sporting a cast on her arm, as she's got a broken wrist.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: Rosie Swale-Pope
« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2017, 12:43:07 pm »
Blimey, she's 68 and not slowing down at all. What an amazing person.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 30 August, 2017, 06:57:31 pm »
Ye gods!
I hope I look as good as that when I'm 68.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2017, 11:06:38 pm »
Point of order: She's 70. (she admitted she doesn't keep her website up to date)

I had a nice email from her today, thanking me for the route and the chat, but she'd probably stick with the Ditchling Beacon plan.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 07 September, 2017, 11:19:27 am »
Thought I recognized the name.
Rosie Swale Pope MBE was brought up by her grandmother in Ireland who was bedridden but showed Rosie that you can reach for the far horizons,  and never to give up.   Rosie trained as a journalist and wrote her first books about sailing  round the world in her early days in a 30ft catamaran with her family. 
Two books she wrote about those adventures were on my parents' book shelves back in whenever it was. Or actually I think it was one about sailing round the world with small kids and one about her other stuff before that. Yes, kind of crazy, in an admirable way.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.