Author Topic: What's your Wetherspoons number?  (Read 17145 times)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: What's your Wetherspoons number?
« Reply #75 on: 07 September, 2017, 12:13:29 pm »
I have been blessed to have this place re-open, within about 40 minutes of lovely cycling from my house.

The Wonston Arms.  A boarded-up village pub, bought by Matt (a Hampshire local ...from Barrow-i-F) and run like a Local pub should be. 

Our cycling club refer to it as "HQ" now.  The only food is imported from a take-away or sold from a Mobile Chippy (on certain days only) but he changes the beers regularly and has about 90 Gins available.

It's visible from Space (using The Hubble) and is close to a Cricket Pitch ......probably (So ESL should be OK) but it's not tied to any Brewery thank God.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

ian

« Reply #76 on: 07 September, 2017, 12:47:02 pm »
Does the world need more generic lager and bitter? I doubt it. Bring on the those grapefruit IPAs, I say.

Tbh, I don't think the world needs any more generic grapefruit IPAs either.

Hmm, we might have reached peak grapefruit. That said Juicebox is rather lush.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #77 on: 07 September, 2017, 02:26:45 pm »
Lee. When you're up here in rainy land again, seek out a J W Lees pub and try a pint of 'Brewer's Dark'. A very acceptable dark mild.

When we're in the pub for the quiz, if we have a voucher we drink the bitter, if we have to pay we have the mild...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #78 on: 07 September, 2017, 02:42:12 pm »
I'm happy if my brewery is visible from space, and has at least one cricket pitch. It comes from growing up surrounded by mega-factories.

Is that Bass?

That one's Marston's, they brew Bass now anyway, and a lot else. They do lots of different 'craft style' beers, all of which taste of grapefruit for some weird reason.

The Marston's brewery is small beer compared to our local one in Samlesbury. Which has only been going for the last 45 years.

Sven Kerstens said: “It’s a proud day for everyone.

“Although technology has moved on the brewing process is much the same. But the consistency and quality of the beers is superb these days.

“You can taste it time after time . We produce some of the best beers in the world and we are proud that this brewery has been recognised as producing the best Stella in the world.”

Part of reason Samlesbury was chosen as site for the brewery is the quality of water nearby and in particular the underground wells.

It is reputed that the water in the wells has been found to be 10,000 years old.

The brewery can produce 3.5 million bottles, 1.7 million cans and 17,000 kegs of beer in a single day.

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/business/raise-a-glass-to-45-years-of-brewery-1-8481997

« Reply #79 on: 07 September, 2017, 03:13:53 pm »
Marston's are holding an event at their brewery in Burton on the 23rd. What could go wrong? http://www.marstonsbrewery.co.uk/brewery-bash/

Pedigree is the only beer still brewed by the Burton Union system, in wooden barrels, and Marston's are the world's largest brewer of cask ale.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marston%27s_Brewery#Marston.27s_Pedigree

« Reply #80 on: 07 September, 2017, 03:53:56 pm »
I'm happy if my brewery is visible from space, and has at least one cricket pitch. It comes from growing up surrounded by mega-factories.

Is that Bass?

That one's Marston's, they brew Bass now anyway, and a lot else. They do lots of different 'craft style' beers, all of which taste of grapefruit for some weird reason.

The Marston's brewery is small beer compared to our local one in Samlesbury. Which has only been going for the last 45 years.

Sven Kerstens said: “It’s a proud day for everyone.

“Although technology has moved on the brewing process is much the same. But the consistency and quality of the beers is superb these days.

“You can taste it time after time . We produce some of the best beers in the world and we are proud that this brewery has been recognised as producing the best Stella in the world.”

Part of reason Samlesbury was chosen as site for the brewery is the quality of water nearby and in particular the underground wells.

It is reputed that the water in the wells has been found to be 10,000 years old.

The brewery can produce 3.5 million bottles, 1.7 million cans and 17,000 kegs of beer in a single day.

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/business/raise-a-glass-to-45-years-of-brewery-1-8481997

That's not a brewery,it's a chemistry set.

« Reply #81 on: 08 September, 2017, 02:12:23 am »

That's not a brewery,it's a chemistry set.

To be fair, that's all that any brewery is. The microbrewery revolution is based on the miniaturisation of large-scale brewing, and the same spreadsheets predict the viability of a pop-up alehouse, as define the chances of any new-build food-destination pub next to a branch of Tesco or B&Q.

Wetherspoons was seen as a maverick operation when it started.

The R&D departments of the mega-brewers can turn out craft beers with better results, and more consistency, than any of the microbreweries. I can see the appeal of 'small is beautiful', but I'd look behind the curtains to see who's pulling the strings.

On a brighter note, Wetherspoons are increasingly moving into the hotel trade, although they tend to be town centre, and not that cheap. https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/hotels

Marstons are also taking the same path, but some of theirs are on major road junctions. They have one in Thorne, which is well located for a number of Eastern England/Scotland rides. It has a Wetherspoons type of food offer, and in my opinion, the beer is better. Don't just think that Travelodge and Premier Inn are the only option.
http://www.marstonsinns.co.uk/inns/default.aspx?inDo=1&inFId=1&st=20

« Reply #82 on: 08 September, 2017, 08:01:48 am »
I don't really like Wetherspoons. I can tolerate them - which I often do, seeing as so many people on this very forum seem to like them, but I wouldn't choose to go to one if it was my choice.

The one in Chelmsford is possibly the most desolate, depressing and soulless pub I have ever had the misfortune to set foot in. There actually used to be two, but spoons sold the other one as its location drew in all the voilent alcoholics from the council estate. It was a blood bath in there. You know it must be bad if Wetherspoons actually get rid of a pub.

Shitholes IME....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #83 on: 08 September, 2017, 08:42:25 am »
I regularly pass a spoons locally.  From early in the morning there is a whole rank of mobility scooters scattered across the pavement whilst their owners tussle to get to the bar.   

Most unseemly.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #84 on: 08 September, 2017, 10:17:55 am »
Spoons are good for low-budget meals and hot drinks.
They provide warm shelter.
Pensioners aren't fools and few public libraries have survived the cuts.
They're not a bad place to sit if you can hardly afford to heat your home.

« Reply #85 on: 08 September, 2017, 11:59:35 am »

To be fair, that's all that any brewery is. The microbrewery revolution is based on the miniaturisation of large-scale brewing, and the same spreadsheets predict the viability of a pop-up alehouse, as define the chances of any new-build food-destination pub next to a branch of Tesco or B&Q.

The founder of Otter Brewery down here learnt his trade in Burton.

Fullers operate quite a few good pubs, mostly in the London area.  They have an eye for conservation which means that historical interiors are restored rather than butchered.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #86 on: 08 September, 2017, 01:14:25 pm »
had a pint in the fullers pub at Kings Cross yesterday, very good it was too.  Good selection of in-house and guest ales, maybe London prices, but much steeper than 'Spoons.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #87 on: 08 September, 2017, 03:01:32 pm »
I don't really like Wetherspoons. I can tolerate them - which I often do, seeing as so many people on this very forum seem to like them, but I wouldn't choose to go to one if it was my choice.

Shitholes IME....

I'm no fan of them but I have to admit I've been in a couple of decent ones without realising they were 'spoons.

The Andover "branch" is totally soulless. A bland building, formerly the local newspaper office, with little to no natural light or ambience, it's an Alcohol vending facility, nothing more than that.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #88 on: 04 November, 2017, 02:56:16 pm »
The Black Horse, Preston sounds brilliant, I love that sort of pub.
yes it's wonderful. Though last time I was in they had, horror of horrors, stopped serving Old Tom on draught. Criminal.
You could sit with a pint* of that or more on a wintery afternoon in that wonderful interior and contemplate the world, its glories and idiocies, while floating to heaven.

* they seemed to sometimes have a house rule to only serve it in halves but would sometimes give me a special dispensation.

Ps - don't be tempted to get up to any high jinks, sexual or otherwise, upstairs. Walls have eyes.

« Reply #89 on: 04 November, 2017, 03:11:01 pm »
On the original post and point telstarbox i am impressed. Very.

I have been in a fair few north and south and find them handy when out and about in odd towns and when cycle touring.

Well more than that, I am a fan for all sorts of reasons.

Not sure i need a spreadsheet but i would be interested in your top 10.

I can recommend this thing of wonder on a sunny day on the sun terrace:

https://deserter.co.uk/2017/09/the-biggest-spoons-in-the-world/

On the same cycling trip i popped in the one in Margate. Characterless downstairs but a half decent lounge upstairs with a great view of Margate beach. I had a nice hour or so up there drinking nice beer, filling up on cycling snack, catching up on the wifi and recharging my front light. All alone. I asked one of the barmaids why no one was up there and she said the regulars didn't like to walk too far for their beer :)

Finally, am encouraged by the relative lack of snobbery in the thread. I asked a purely techie question about a spoons POI file a while ago and some of the usual sniffy rot was trotted out. You can tell a lot about some folk from some of their views on spoons. Even if they like to think of themselves as enlightened lefties.

Long may they prosper.

« Reply #90 on: 04 November, 2017, 03:22:02 pm »
. You know it must be bad if Wetherspoons actually get rid of a pub.

Shitholes IME....
For your information spoons have been shutting a few pubs (while opening others) lately for all sorts of reasons.

Perhaps you should look a little deeper.

They have been trying to dispose of the lease on one of my favourite ones.

Which is very definitely not a shithole.

In fact their business issues with it are to do with complications caused by the fact that it is a rather wonderful listed building.

Which they helped preserve.

And no i'm not telling you where it is in case you bring a bad smell with you and spoil its ambience and the relaxed live and let live attitude of its extremely mixed and often very interesting clientele

« Reply #91 on: 04 November, 2017, 03:49:01 pm »
And no i'm not telling you where it is in case you bring a bad smell with you and spoil its ambience and the relaxed live and let live attitude of its extremely mixed and often very interesting clientele

Why on Earth would I be bothered with where it is? "I'm not telling you where it is" is like saying "I'm not telling you where I took a wild turd".

As for bad smells - the cheap beer, the awful food, drunks and pensioners piss should keep any sane person firmly in the proper pub down the road....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #92 on: 04 November, 2017, 06:40:03 pm »
On the same cycling trip i popped in the one in Margate. Characterless downstairs but a half decent lounge upstairs with a great view of Margate beach. I had a nice hour or so up there drinking nice beer, filling up on cycling snack, catching up on the wifi and recharging my front light. All alone. I asked one of the barmaids why no one was up there and she said the regulars didn't like to walk too far for their beer :)

The Mechanical Elephant? I've been in there a few times but I didn't even know it had an upstairs!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #93 on: 04 November, 2017, 10:17:00 pm »
In our local 'spoons recently a mother changed an infant's nappy and left the soiled one ON THE DINNER PLATE . . .  :sick:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #94 on: 04 November, 2017, 10:20:17 pm »
I go past there to get our dinners at Appleby's - more likely to have eaten the child and left the wrapper on the plate.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #95 on: 04 November, 2017, 10:29:49 pm »
I think I've been to 2 Wetherspoons pubs. it's hard to summarise either. They both started out as pubs I'd go to, before becoming pubs I'd been to. One was a bank. Despite how I feel about banks, it was a lovely building.

So, anyway: 2.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #96 on: 05 November, 2017, 10:18:23 am »
I wouldn't generally choose to go one these days, mainly because I object to giving Tim Martin my money, but on the whole they're fine, especially when compared to Harvester's or other chain pubs. There's a decent range of beer, passably kept, it's cheap, and the buildings are often interesting. I wouldn't go to a city-centre one on a Friday or Saturday night, but then I'd avoid other chain pubs as well. As for the food, I don't understand the snobbery - it's not exactly great, but it's no worse than anywhere else using the same boil-in-the-bag outside-catering fare, and what do you expect for five or six quid?

ian

« Reply #97 on: 05 November, 2017, 11:47:55 am »
In our local 'spoons recently a mother changed an infant's nappy and left the soiled one ON THE DINNER PLATE . . .  :sick:

Are you sure it's not Bobb's patent 'wild turd'?

The best reason to go to Wetherspoons seems to be that it's not as bad as many of the alternatives, which I suspect says a lot about the British pub industry. There's two pubs in town and one is middling (they have a nice beer garden in summer, but it soon becomes a fog of cigarette smoke, so no thanks) and the other is one of those that seems to change its name every six months sells Peroni for six quid and seems to attract all the feral youth. We only went once and I swear there were more kids in there than the local school. It might have been the local school.

There's a couple more spread around (and consequently require driving). I can't say any are superfantastic, mostly indifferent pub food and an occasional interesting selection of beer. Of course, I'm a snob. But I can't say my heart flutters when I see a board advertising two meals for £5.99.

« Reply #98 on: 05 November, 2017, 04:12:54 pm »

The Mechanical Elephant? I've been in there a few times but I didn't even know it had an upstairs!

Ah you must have been one of the ones chained to the beertaps downstairs.

Here you are:

View from a table on the thin terrace outside the lounge.

www.flickr.com/photos/37034456@N06/37479763644/in/dateposted-public/

In truth i was in there twice. Once all wonderfully alone, second time a couple were having a quiet chat on the sofas.

Twas during their recent beer festival, but as an open minded writer from the telegraph once said, they are a permanent beer festival on the high street. That's what keeps me going back. May return with more comments and maybe extra pic later.

« Reply #99 on: 05 November, 2017, 04:32:28 pm »
I wouldn't generally choose to go one these days, mainly because I object to giving Tim Martin my money, but on the whole they're fine, especially when compared to Harvester's or other chain pubs. There's a decent range of beer, passably kept, it's cheap, and the buildings are often interesting. I wouldn't go to a city-centre one on a Friday or Saturday night, but then I'd avoid other chain pubs as well. As for the food, I don't understand the snobbery - it's not exactly great, but it's no worse than anywhere else using the same boil-in-the-bag outside-catering fare, and what do you expect for five or six quid?
Thanks for the positive tone of your post  but got to stress that they are on totally different planet to harvester. Does anyone go in them for beer? The range, and ever changing range, of beer in spoons is excellent. And very well kept. They often refuse to serve a pint they don't have confidence in. And they let you taste the beer which is mightily civilised and welcome since i very often don't know the beers. Agree with you about the food. No one would claim it is a great gastronomic experience but it is damn handy in a strange town. As for the snobbery about the food, agree with you but in this  me me social media self image world some folk clearly feel the need to broadcast thier position in the world and fine fine taste. And very probably some just don't like appreciate good beer and have other interests.

And if anyone can remind me how to embed an image  in a post i'll buy them a spoons pint.