Author Topic: Rack-packs - who are the PACK leaders?  (Read 3064 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Rack-packs - who are the PACK leaders?
« on: 18 September, 2017, 07:20:50 pm »
I've used an Agu for over 10 years and many happy k, but it is starting to wear out:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Agu-BPG414475-Rackpack-Yamaska-475/dp/B000NOPYJU

I would happily buy another, but new products are always appearing (and it has a few very minor niggles); so what else is out there? And why should I buy one? :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: Rack-packs - who are the PACK leaders?
« Reply #1 on: 18 September, 2017, 07:23:30 pm »
Arkel Tailrider?

« Reply #2 on: 18 September, 2017, 07:23:55 pm »
Ortlieb Trunk?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 18 September, 2017, 07:34:51 pm »
Arkel Tailrider?

+1

It's a nice bag, with high quality velcro, lots of useful internal pockets, and is perhaps unique in not looking out of pace on a 'fast' bike.  Downside is that it's relatively small (fine for a day ride), and quite long (may overhang your rear light).  Sealed zips, but relies on shower-cap technology for true waterproofing.

The Carradice Prima is my no-nonsense favourite, but they stopped making it.  :(

I have a low-end Carradura bag that is a fairly ugly wedge shape, but is capacious and has served remarkably well for off-road and non-pannier-requiring utility rides.  It does a surprisingly good job at staying dry, in spite of a shower cap that I never remember to use.  Not Super C quality by any means.

If you have a matching rack, consider one of the bags with quick-release fixing systems.  Topeak, Racktime, etc.

I looked at one of those Ortliebs in a bike shop recently.  It had all the quality you'd expect from Ortlieb, but seemed a bit on the small side.

The LOMO one seems to be the new kid on the block: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=103567.0

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2017, 07:55:10 pm »
My Super-C seems pretty indestructible*, and at 13L it's pretty big for a bag with no side pockets. Being standard Carradice cotton duck it's not the lightest but even without any reproofing it's not let any rain in yet.

*I've even accidentally run it over with my car :facepalm:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 18 September, 2017, 09:25:47 pm »
Vaude Silkroad is pretty good. They have a few different sizes. There was a version rebranded as Edinburgh Bicycle / Revolution.
The small size is really small, barely enough for a couple of sandwiches or a jacket. But it is quite neat on a narrow rack.
I think the large is usually more useful. It has an expanding top bit. I can fit a decent camera, or a pair of shoes, plus plenty of food, and a spare tube and pump etc. Has a couple of pockets, handy for small tools etc. Plus an open pocket on the back, which you can use for a water bottle or jacket.

Just 4 velcro straps to attach to the rack - works fine, quick enough to attach/detach - so long as your rack is not too narrow. There is also a Racktime version, not tried that.
Its not super tough material, but mine is in decent condition after 10 years or so. And not waterproof, but has a cover.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 18 September, 2017, 11:01:36 pm »
There is also a Racktime version, not tried that.

I've played with a basket that uses the Racktime snap-it fitting.  It Just Works (and there's also an optional thingy to lock it in place).  Note that the mounting plate can be bought separately and fitted to luggage of your choice, though obviously you do need one of the Racktime racks.

The Topeak system seems very slightly more fiddly, but (in the absence of mudguards) doubles as a badger-stripe-prevention device when the bag isn't fitted.  Presumably that makes for a heavier rack.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2017, 09:59:31 am »
The Carradice Prima is my no-nonsense favourite, but they stopped making it.  :(

So much better than any other rack pack I've seen, that when they went out of production we stockpiled a couple off ebay.  Now, even those are reaching end of life (late production seems lacking in durability compared with earlier ones).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2017, 10:20:44 am »
If you have a matching rack, consider one of the bags with quick-release fixing systems.  Topeak, Racktime, etc.
When I first got into this game, I shyed away from those systems - they seem like another point of failure. But they's probably a lot quicker than the 4-velcro-strap systems! (my Velcro wore through after 10 years, but I could stitch it up OK)

Have these things proved robust over time? have Topeak et al kept the same system?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #9 on: 19 September, 2017, 11:25:21 am »
I used an Altura landing strip bag for a while.  The landing strip has velcro straps around the rack front and rear to attach it.  The bag is attached to the landing strip with velcro plus three buckles, if I remember correctly.

It was fairly quick to attach / detach.  But not secure if the road was rough.  By the end it would tend to hang off sideways if loaded.  The landing strip itself wasn't secure enough on the rack, but it worked fairly well whilst the bag maintained rigidity and wasn't overloaded.  After it wore out, I eventually replaced it with a velcro-at-each-corner rack bag design instead.  It doesn't take much longer and seems quite a bit more secure.

Not sure there's anything wrong with the idea in principle, but I wouldn't endorse the Altura landing strip.  The topeak ones properly integrated with the rack ought to work, but it'd be quite expensive to replace a rack just for that.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #10 on: 19 September, 2017, 11:30:14 am »
I have a Super C and a Arkel tail rider

The Super C is heavier and probably more durable.  Although the Arkel looks smaller in fact it is expandable and they are similar in size.  The Arkel is not fully waterproof without the cover which hides in a pocket at one end.  The Super C has a "end pocket" and uses plastic clips to shut.  The Arkel has some small side pockets and uses waterproof zips to shut.

I like them both but use the Arkel more at the moment

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #11 on: 19 September, 2017, 11:31:52 am »
I bought an Altura Arran rack pack ten years ago, and it's as good as new despite regular use. The body is a semi rigid construction which holds its shape well while still being squashable enough to store in small spaces off the bike. It's good for organising small items, with a 6inch pocket each side, and a lid compartment big enough for carrying a map or a pair of gloves. The top is double zipped (like a suitcase) so it's openable from either side, and it's hinged on the short end, making it easy to see the contents and to get to the things at the bottom. I use it to carry a D-lock, food, tools, pump and waterproofs. It passes for a normal bag off the bike, and works on any rear rack due to the strap and buckle fastening.

Full review here:
http://cyclingfortransport.com/reviews/accessories/luggage/rack-packs/altura-arran/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 19 September, 2017, 12:45:22 pm »

So much better than any other rack pack I've seen, that when they went out of production we stockpiled a couple off ebay.  Now, even those are reaching end of life (late production seems lacking in durability compared with earlier ones).

I've got a NOS one squirrelled away for times of need.  I've re-velcroed my original a couple of times, but the main zip has gone dodgy (still works if you only use it from one end) and it's starting to fray structurally, so it's on borrowed time.

There's nothing particularly special about it, just a simple and extremely effective design with generous side pockets for your tools/spares/valuables and provision for strapping wet waterproofs (and placebo cable locks) to the outside as needed.  If they made a cotton duck one to the same pattern I'd buy one in an instant.

« Reply #13 on: 19 September, 2017, 04:45:14 pm »
How does the prima differ from the Super C, other than in material - the zip top rather than buckles? Google images isn't being particularly helpful.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 19 September, 2017, 04:48:28 pm »
The Prima has zips, and two more external pockets.

« Reply #15 on: 19 September, 2017, 05:15:36 pm »
I had a Tailrider but found it way too small.   I also have an Altura Arran which I hope to press back into use but in reality I'm happiest with an Ortlieb pannier on the rear.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 20 September, 2017, 08:15:48 pm »
Hmmm .... no clear pack leader. At 13L (claimed!), my Agu is quite a bit bigger than most of these. And it's lighter than some.

The Lomo looked really nice at first ... then I realised that these roll-tops are quite slow to access; the way I do long rides, I'm dipping into my luggage many times over a day, so this would eventually pi55 me off, I suspect.

I'm considering going with a slightly smaller/lighter one - which will be fine for 90% of my riding, certainly anything under 400k!  - and use a small pannier alongside when required. (I've used a pannier(s) with the Agu; OK for touring, but the side-pockets get in the way of the pannier clips so it's a faffy arrangement.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 20 September, 2017, 08:21:06 pm »
I prefer two small panniers to small pannier + rackbag for exactly that reason.

« Reply #18 on: 21 September, 2017, 08:13:00 am »
Why not a stylish Carradice saddlebag (Pendle or Barley)?

Similar weight, size and accessibility, easy enough to supplement with panniers on tour and with that all round, lovely, je ne sais quoi.

John

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 21 September, 2017, 10:24:23 am »
Why not a stylish Carradice saddlebag (Pendle or Barley)?

Similar weight, size and accessibility, easy enough to supplement with panniers on tour and with that all round, lovely, je ne sais quoi.

John
Because my beard is not yet stylish enough - it certainly lacks je ne sais quoi !

(and because there is another thread right now about saddlebags, and in fact they are discussed with great frequency; no lack of info on them. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20 on: 21 September, 2017, 10:35:34 am »
Saddlebag's are great but if you have a rack it makes sense to use it. I was happy for a long time with my Super C rack pack. However, the bike which I used it on got stolen  :'( and it doesn't fit well on the other bike with a rack; the rack mounting points are slightly higher on the seat stays and as a result the lid of the bag catches on the underside of the saddle when opening it. Not a big problem but not perfect.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #21 on: 21 September, 2017, 01:32:23 pm »

Because my beard is not yet stylish enough - it certainly lacks je ne sais quoi !
Fair enough, that is an issue. Don't forget you can get a tin of proofing wax with the saddlebag to give the beard a little pep.

(and because there is another thread right now about saddlebags, and in fact they are discussed with great frequency; no lack of info on them. )

[can't sort out multiple quoting on this bloody phone...]
Fair enough I was starting from the 13litre of easily accessible luggage point.

To briefly cover Cudzoziemiec's point about using racks (without derailing this too much away from rack packs) a rack can make an excellent saddlebag support, plus you usually have a bit of spare rack real estate available as an overflow for en-route purchases.

John

« Reply #22 on: 21 September, 2017, 01:35:24 pm »
Also interested in a suitable replacement. My Creek2Peak rackpack (no longer made) will not last forever.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #23 on: 21 September, 2017, 02:15:26 pm »
Also interested in a suitable replacement. My Creek2Peak rackpack (no longer made) will not last forever.

Indeed.  They were the best of the rack packs IMO and mine is also now the worse for wear (although has held up remarkably well from 9 years of regular use).

I've looked long and hard and never found anything with a similar capacity or features, sadly.  A real shame they were discontinued.
The sound of one pannier flapping