Author Topic: Double Glazing  (Read 1643 times)

essexian

Double Glazing
« on: 21 September, 2017, 09:56:46 am »
Just a quick question I am hoping someone can help me with please... I have tried using a search engine but can't find the answer... but is there a maximum width a double glazing window can be built to?

I ask as our front window is some 24 foot wide and 4 foot high and needs replacing.  The current window is a double glazed unit which is made up of four sections two of which open and two are fixed.

I would like to replace the whole lot as one unit with again two opening and two fixed units but wonder whether such windows are still allowed given the overall size: two people down my street who have had their front window replaced in the last few years, have had a central wall built and two smaller windows installed....it looks horrible.

Finally, does anyone have a recommendation for a good window company (we are based in Stafford). The one we have used previously seems to have changed hands.

Cheers.

Re: Double Glazing
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2017, 10:18:02 am »
Cannot help re the sizing but beware that ime DG companies seem to change hands relatively frequently.  I would look for a FENSA fitter and get your FENSA certificate afterwards.  We discovered that our local installer who was FENSA registered had in fact not done the job properly*.  Having had a brief discussion with the new owners who had bought the company and all of it's liabilities, the fitting of the kitchen door and frame was rectified entirely at their expense.   

* Eight years later but that's another story 

essexian

« Reply #2 on: 21 September, 2017, 10:28:26 am »
Cannot help re the sizing but beware that ime DG companies seem to change hands relatively frequently.  I would look for a FENSA fitter and get your FENSA certificate afterwards.  We discovered that our local installer who was FENSA registered had in fact not done the job properly*.  Having had a brief discussion with the new owners who had bought the company and all of it's liabilities, the fitting of the kitchen door and frame was rectified entirely at their expense.   

* Eight years later but that's another story

Cheers PB.  I spent yesterday with the auditor who covers our consumer section....she could tell you some stories about traders!!!! ;D ::-) :facepalm:

« Reply #3 on: 21 September, 2017, 11:11:13 am »
At a previous house we had a 18ft by 6ft fitted. We were recommended to have a heavier upvc profile and the installer said he was glad he didn't have to fit too many that size.

It looked great when done and it did give us a nice open view.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #4 on: 21 September, 2017, 12:22:48 pm »
.. but is there a maximum width a double glazing window can be built to?

I ask as our front window is some 24 foot wide and 4 foot high and needs replacing.  The current window is a double glazed unit which is made up of four sections two of which open and two are fixed.

Glass panels can be manufactured in huge dimensions:

https://www.saint-gobain-facade-glass.com/products/glass-xl-large-size-glass

The limiting factor for home glazing is usually the weight of the panel. A 6x4 foot double glazing panel is probably the heaviest thing that two men can handle safely. If you want something bigger, the window company will need to hire special handling equipment, obviously at a cost!

« Reply #5 on: 21 September, 2017, 12:36:21 pm »
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: 21 September, 2017, 01:31:14 pm »
Should have said when it came to unloading the glass panel and installing six men were involved.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

essexian

« Reply #7 on: 21 September, 2017, 02:04:00 pm »
Cheers all: must admit I hadn't thought about the weight aspect of this.... it looks like it might be costly! However, the window does need replacing so better not buy a new bike this year.... :facepalm: (whenever I buy a new bike, I have to buy CBH something of the same value....its surprising how many decent bikes I can get for less than a ton!....  ;D )

Any recommendations for a company to use welcomed.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #8 on: 21 September, 2017, 04:08:38 pm »
Pilkington glass would be my first port of call.