Author Topic: Drop bar bell  (Read 6790 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Drop bar bell
« Reply #25 on: 10 October, 2017, 09:44:12 am »
https://triggerbell.com/ any good?

I looked at that, but the pictures suggest it gets in the way of the shifters on STI's. I may be reading the image wrong.

J

If you scroll down this page, the sixth 'option' shows you can fit it in a way that doesn't interfere with the operation of STI levers.

https://triggerbell.com/trigger-bell-compatibility/

I must admit, I'm quite tempted.
Looking at that position it seems to run the cable-tie straight over the hood where I'd normally have my hand. It doesn't look very comfortable IMHO.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #26 on: 10 October, 2017, 10:34:14 am »
Looking at that position it seems to run the cable-tie straight over the hood where I'd normally have my hand. It doesn't look very comfortable IMHO.

Hmm, good point. And their suggestion of using 'some handlebar tape' for comfort sounds a tad ineffective if you ride for more than about 5 minutes after fitting it...

It would be nice to have a bell one could use whilst riding on the hoods though. Maybe it's okay if wearing gloves/mitts?

« Reply #27 on: 10 October, 2017, 02:20:13 pm »
I would say forget about trying to mount a bell on drop bars that you can ring from the hoods. Mount it on the stem or next to the stem on the bars.

It's because the whole of the bars and the brake lever hood is for putting your hands on, a bell is going to get in the way. On flat bars, you only put your hands on the grips; you can mount your bell on the bars next to the grip.

« Reply #28 on: 10 October, 2017, 10:41:42 pm »
Have some small bells hanging from the stem, you’ll jingle all the way, people will hear you coming and you won't need to ring them.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #29 on: 11 October, 2017, 08:19:34 am »
Checked up on French law yesterday. It doesn't specifically say you must have a bell, it says you must have an "avertisseur sonore", meaning anything from a football rattle to a set of castanets by way of electrically-driven airhorns mounted under the saddle. Your choice.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #30 on: 12 October, 2017, 10:49:10 am »
UK regs say something like 'audible warning of approach,' and case law says that the human voice fulfils this requirement. I reckon 'avertisseur' requires a device, not just the ability to give an audible warning though.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #31 on: 17 January, 2018, 06:39:03 pm »
How about http://hidemybell.cc/en/ integrated with a GPS clamp.  I agree that it is pretty inaccessible but it gets over the legal requirements.  A bell is required in France, but in many years of touring in France I have yet to see a local with one.  I don't use this either since it would rest on my bar bag and so not make a sound.

This is what I went with in the end. I went for the mini version for use with my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. As a bell it's performance is not exactly remarkable, It requires quite a hefty flick to make it actually ring. And it came with the mount insert 180 degrees our of position. But it moves the computer a few mm closer to the stem, which is actually quite nice when bike packing (due to front bag). I'm hoping to play with the added light attachment point feature,that looks quite nice.

Thanks for the suggestion!

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #32 on: 18 January, 2018, 12:05:39 pm »
I would say forget about trying to mount a bell on drop bars that you can ring from the hoods. Mount it on the stem or next to the stem on the bars. ...

That's pretty much my view too.  I only really use the bell on approaching a blind corner, or in an optimistic attempt to wake up pedestrians on cycle paths (continuous dings every second or so, until they move, or I have to give in and brake).  In an emergency I'm concentrating more on hauling the brakes on as hard as possible rather than ringing a bell.

I've got my bell near the stem, and underneath the bars, where I can flick it with my thumb, when I've got my hands on the flat section of the drops.  This also doesn't use up much bar space, which is better made available for lights/GPS/camera etc. :)
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 18 January, 2018, 01:43:18 pm »
I would say forget about trying to mount a bell on drop bars that you can ring from the hoods. Mount it on the stem or next to the stem on the bars. ...

That's pretty much my view too.  I only really use the bell on approaching a blind corner, or in an optimistic attempt to wake up pedestrians on cycle paths (continuous dings every second or so, until they move, or I have to give in and brake).  In an emergency I'm concentrating more on hauling the brakes on as hard as possible rather than ringing a bell.

You're riding in the UK though.  In ABROAD, where the FOREIGNS come from, people actually respond to bicycle bells in a consistent and useful manner.  You end up ringing them quite a lot if you want to make progress on a fietspad or Radweg.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #34 on: 18 January, 2018, 09:02:23 pm »
You're riding in the UK though.  In ABROAD, where the FOREIGNS come from, people actually respond to bicycle bells in a consistent and useful manner.  You end up ringing them quite a lot if you want to make progress on a fietspad or Radweg.

You're confusing your Foreigns. Here in Amsterdam the purpose of a bell is to go hand in hand with the yell of ****-Wit, or other appropriate profanity at the gormless tourist, or worse, gormless local, who seems to think stopping in the main gateway to the fietspad through the busiest park in Amsterdam at 6pm is a good idea... Or the Tourist who hasn't realised that bikes here do not give way, and just steps out blindly...

Once you leave the big cities tho, everything you say is valid, it's just anywhere with tourists or students you have to augment it with other methods...

Oh and then there's the Brommers.

J
--

« Reply #35 on: 18 January, 2018, 10:13:40 pm »
Avoid bbb easy fit bell. It's got a spring that v the weighted striker attaches to the base of the bell. It comes out and also the striker rotates on the spring so that when used the contact point of the striker can't hit the bell and make a noise. It's next to useless.

IIRC there's a tiny striker bell with the same spring striker but the head can't turn because it's in a kind of guide channel. It also fits to a wide range of parts of your bars. Indeed for some drops it can attach to the cables right where it can be sounded without moving your hands. Plus it's got a nice loud sound with a good resonance that lasts well. Plus only £10 for a nice looking bell.

dim

« Reply #36 on: 19 January, 2018, 12:49:33 pm »
Brass Japanese Crane Bell .... I use one on my daily commuter

regarded by many as the best bike bell ever made ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1FkhhS3BWo
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #37 on: 19 January, 2018, 01:39:39 pm »
Of course, you could always improve somewhat upon a small bell.

;D

How to attach this may pose a slightly different set of question. :)
Actually, it is rocket science.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #38 on: 19 January, 2018, 02:48:33 pm »
Oh and then there's the Brommers.

And the elderly... Have you noticed that after a certain age people don't just give way when you ring your bell, but contort their spine looking over their left shoulder to confirm that yes, there is another cyclist behind them? (and invariably dangerously swerving to the left while doing so?)

The front (disc) brake of my audax bicycle gives an awful and LOUD shriek when engaged, works better than the Crane bell that I have fitted. Pro tip: strike your bell twice rapidly instead of a single "ping", much higher chance that people will react to it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #39 on: 22 January, 2018, 02:45:30 pm »
I'm rather pleased with my visually discreet Knog bell.
Getting there...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #40 on: 22 January, 2018, 02:51:23 pm »

And the elderly... Have you noticed that after a certain age people don't just give way when you ring your bell, but contort their spine looking over their left shoulder to confirm that yes, there is another cyclist behind them? (and invariably dangerously swerving to the left while doing so?)

The front (disc) brake of my audax bicycle gives an awful and LOUD shriek when engaged, works better than the Crane bell that I have fitted. Pro tip: strike your bell twice rapidly instead of a single "ping", much higher chance that people will react to it.

I noticed that not only do both discs on my bike squeak under braking, but they do with 2 different pitches of tone. If I do it right I can make it sound like a train horn...

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 22 January, 2018, 02:52:42 pm »
I noticed that not only do both discs on my bike squeak under braking, but they do with 2 different pitches of tone. If I do it right I can make it sound like a train horn...

Barakta's ICE trike (both front discs on a dual-pull lever) has been known to do this.  The effect is remarkable.

« Reply #42 on: 22 January, 2018, 11:27:43 pm »
Brass Japanese Crane Bell .... I use one on my daily commuter

regarded by many as the best bike bell ever made ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1FkhhS3BWo
I see your Crane bell, and raise you a Lion bell :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzyMwumVnPI

When I was working (fairly briefly) in Cambridge, many moons ago, I cultivated a back brake that would emit an ear splitting squeal under light braking, but actually work if you squeezed hard.
I've never come across anything so effective at making errant pedestrians get out of the way :)
(mostly those walking along a busy pavement with their backs to the traffic, who just step out into the road to overtake someone)

« Reply #43 on: 22 January, 2018, 11:40:47 pm »
best sounding bell?  Try a spur cycles one. I recommend the stainless steel version. There is a video on the website.

https://www.spurcycle.com/

There are imitations on e-bay for a fraction of the cost (which are good bells in their own right)  but they do not sound quite as good.

cheers