Author Topic: Dual wireless headphones for TV etc  (Read 1202 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Dual wireless headphones for TV etc
« on: 11 October, 2017, 03:26:57 pm »
Missus & I are beginning to have trouble with certain frequencies, particularly the daft breathy speech in some films these days. Neither of us has problems hearing with headphones, just with the TV or the home cinema setup.  Can't afford to lay out on hearing aids (1500 a lug w. just coffee money back from the health service).

Qu.: does anyone know of a good (well, half-decent) system that would allow us to connect two sets of wireless headphones in parallel? Preferably with individual volume controls.

Cheers.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Dual wireless headphones for TV etc
« Reply #1 on: 11 October, 2017, 03:39:28 pm »
I don't know about wireless headphones specifically, but if it comes to it, I don't see any reason you couldn't use an appropriate cable to split the feed to two senders.  Wireless headphones tend to have volume controls on the headphones, so independent control shouldn't be a problem.

But if you've got progressive hearing loss, then at some point it's not going to be just the telly.  I hope you've had your hearing tested, even if it doesn't justify aids quite yet.  It may even be something treatable.

If you have a surround system, you may be able to boost the level of the centre channel relative to the others, improving the SNR for speech (which is nearly always on the centre channel).

Also, as per my sig, stop worrying and learn to love the subtitles.

« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2017, 05:38:27 pm »
do you already have headphones?

That may cut the cost

I have seen cheap (Less than £30) bluetooth transmitters that will stream to two sets of headphones, so if you already have wireless headphones in teh house this may bae a solution

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2017, 05:42:27 pm »
Look for a system that has AptX Low Latency, else you may get a delay that is noticeable at parts of the film.
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 12 October, 2017, 08:37:44 am »
Thanks for the ideas, all.

Mrs. T42 had malaria in Uganda in the 60s and was treated with atabrine, which left her partially deaf.  I have a dip around 3000 Hz, thanks to diabetes - stiffened collagen in cilia, how jolly. Brain very obligingly fills the hole with low-level off-white noise. I don't know if our recent problems are due to further loss or fashions in cinema audio - some films, particularly older ones, are perfectly OK, others are audio pigshit.

Anyway, like most people, if we had 6000€ to spare for hearing aids we'd get something else.  No problems forking out a couple of hundred, though.

Centre speaker is already boosted as far as I'd like.  Any more and it becomes too obvious that voices are coming from that wee box just under the screen.

Cabling wouldn't work too well - we're ~5m away from the TV with two dogs farting about in between (in all senses of word) and we'd probably trip over it ourselves. Don't fancy festooning it across the ceiling, so wireless it is.

@Jaded, I hear you re AptX - I didn't know about that. A couple of years back we got the Inlaw Paw a remote headset that worked from a mike riding on the centre speaker while we listened directly. Poor bloke heard both with an appreciable delay in between - unworkable. I think the thing got binned.

Think this might fit the bill? http://www.meeaudio.com/content/usermanuals/UserManual_T1H1.pdf

Looks quite decent...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight