Author Topic: Another Slice of Rutland 200km ** New event ** 21 April 2018  (Read 2451 times)

Another Slice of Rutland 200km ** New event ** 21 April 2018
« on: 23 October, 2017, 09:42:50 am »
Starting from Haynes Road, Leicester. Controls at Bottesford and Edith Weston, plus 2 information controls.

Commercial controls throughout.

This is a new event that leaves Leicester to follow the Wreake Valley north into the Vale of Belvoir with views of Belvoir castle. The route then heads south past the eastern end of Rutland water and on to Knossington. The route then heads south past Launde Abbey, Medbourne and on to the southernmost point of Brixworth. The route back north passes through Naseby and Saddington before returning to Haynes Road and a LFCC welcome. There are also opportunities to stop for refreshment along the way at Wymondham Windmill tea rooms, Empingham and Medbourne.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-153/

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

LFCC

Re: Another Slice of Rutland 200km ** New event ** 21 April 2018
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2018, 07:29:02 pm »
Just a reminder of this new event. Thanks for the entries that have already arrived.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

LFCC

« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2018, 07:07:55 am »
Are any other YACFers doing this event on Saturday?

Now looking like we have a chance of some refreshing showers and interesting cloudscapes in the afternoon rather than that boring wall to wall sunshine ;)

« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2018, 05:11:28 pm »
I'm in... looking forward to it!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2018, 07:10:11 am »
I rode most of the route last October - it was a lovely day out.

See you tomorrow - I should be on a dark grey Trek Domane with a barbag and wearing a Leicester Forest top if I can still squeeze into it.

« Reply #5 on: 21 April, 2018, 01:03:52 pm »
Good turn out this morning and great weather.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

LFCC

« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2018, 12:09:29 pm »
I had another great day out around this route yesterday.  Mostly quiet roads with decent surfaces although there were a few stretches where you had to keep a lookout for potholes.  It was warm and sunny with just a few spots of rain on the last leg.

Had a quick Co-op stop at Bottesford before a bacon butty and coffee at Wymondham Windmill while clubmate Martyn had some roadworthy tyres fitted to his bike  ::-)

An ice cream at Edith Weston village shop then what felt like a long, hot, leg into wind to Brixworth.  Stopped at the little cafe on the High Street for a sandwich, a drink and a much-needed bottle refill as I was worried that the country park might be busy.

Spotted the club's fast group leaving the last control just as I arrived and managed to catch them by using a different route back through Brixworth.  This might have been a mistake as I was working hard to hang onto them.  The elastic finally snapped on the climb to Mowsley but it was (sort of) fun while it lasted.

Rode the last 20k on my own.  Couldn't help but compare it with the February Leicester audax when there was a blizzard on this part of the route and I was suffering from dehydration-induced cramp.

For quite some time we were mixing it with the Rutland Cicle sportives - I got fed up acknowledging the riders coming the other way after the first couple of hundred.  Another group of them provided mobile chicanes and comedy clipless moments on the short sharp climb away from Launde Abbey.  We also shared a section of the route with a road race near Harrington.  Clambering around a couple of diversions also added to the variety.

Many thanks to Steve for organising.

« Reply #7 on: 22 April, 2018, 05:15:30 pm »
Superb route and the views were excellent.  Particularly circling Belvoir Castle with the lush green rolling hills, partially formed golden fields of rape flowers and the trees springing back to life, especially from Woolsthorpe.

My kind of terrain usually, but I struggled throughout most of this.  Probably a combination of sudden change in temperature, less winter riding than I'm used to and (what seemed like) relentless ups and downs - certainly took their toll.  Had a welcome shower while passing through Weston, just wish it had lasted a little longer... Had to make a stop in Harrington for a pint of cider :thumbsup: and two pints of water!

Great event, just wish I had felt a little better along the way.

Thank you Steve, and to your helpers, especially for bringing a new event to the calendar... hope to do this again.

« Reply #8 on: 21 February, 2019, 02:00:22 pm »
Sat 6 April 2019.
A 209km cycling event starting Oadby Youth Centre, Wigston Rd, Oadby, (new start location) with controls at Bottesford, Edith Weston and Brixworth. Information controls at Knossington and Sibbertoft. Uses commercial controls throughout.
Entries at : http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-153/
The route leaves Leicester to follow the Wreake Valley into the Vale of Belvoir to Bottesford with views of Belvoir castle. The route then heads south past the eastern end of Rutland water and on to Knossington. The route then heads south past Launde Abbey, Medbourne and on to the southernmost point at Brixworth. The route back north passes through Naseby and Saddington before returning to Leicester.
There are also opportunities to stop for refreshment along the way at Wymondham Windmill tea rooms, Empingham and Medbourne.
LFCC