Author Topic: Shipping a bike to the USA  (Read 1730 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Shipping a bike to the USA
« on: 24 October, 2017, 05:04:33 pm »
We're tentatively planning a 4 week family holiday in the US next summer and my lovely wife has suggested that I tag an extra week or two's cycle touring on one end or the other.  I haven't given too much thought as to where I will go yet but I do know that I don't want to lug the bike around with me for a month when I'm not using it.

Does anyone have any experience of shipping bikes to and from the US and can recommend a carrier?  There seem to be plenty of options available but a recommendation is always preferable.  Any other advice appreciated too, of course.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Shipping a bike to the USA
« Reply #1 on: 24 October, 2017, 05:10:44 pm »
It is often fairly expensive and difficult to ship bikes unaccompanied internationally and generally cheaper/ easier to take it on the plane with you.

Most USA airlines charge a (large) flat fee for taking your bike, even when it is within your (generous) weight allowance. There are a few exceptions and if you haven't already bought the ticket, plan on using them.

Many USA-ians ship their bikes (particularly tandems) with couriers within the USA as it is often cheaper. SOP seems to be to ship to a decent bike shop who builds/ packs the bike for a fee and stores it while you are elsewhere.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 24 October, 2017, 11:01:50 pm »
Last time we flew with a bike from California to UK and back was with BA.  IIRC no fee and no hastle. Shipping bikes when not flying worked out to be very expensive when crossing borders, but internal to the US can be relatively cheap. We've had a good experience using Bikeflights for that.
California Dreaming

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #3 on: 26 October, 2017, 03:21:10 am »
Yup take it with you on a BA or virgin Atlantic flight, and then if necessary ship it domestically to avoid lugging on the part you don't need it. Most hotels out of expensive city centers will receive and hold it for you for free, or else tell us the town and we can search our RUSA network for a friendly friend that might do the same :)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #4 on: 26 October, 2017, 07:57:18 am »
After our tour in the USA we wanted to explore by car for two weeks and arranged to leave our bikes with a warm shower host in LA. If you're flying in and out of the same city could you do likewise and collect the bike after the month long family holiday?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5 on: 26 October, 2017, 08:46:21 am »
We meet a Dutch fella who were cycling the HWY 101 Seattle to SF. He went into REI in Seattle bought a bike, I think it was a Surly, and was planning to hand it back at an REI in SF. And go naa sorry this isn't working for me, I don't get on with can I get my money back while I think about it. He was pretty sure that this would work. I'm pretty sure it would too, because of the service we got and we heard our friends got from REI. REI will either sell it to their staff or sell it to costumers in one of their mega sales. 
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #6 on: 03 November, 2017, 06:03:01 pm »
But it is cheating, and you and the 'Dutch' fella know it.