Author Topic: Magura HS11 rim brakes, maintenance advice needed  (Read 2033 times)

Magura HS11 rim brakes, maintenance advice needed
« on: 04 November, 2017, 02:17:32 am »
I've very recently purchased and fitted these to my bike. Whilst in hindsight it was easy peasy this was not the case when I received the brakes with the so called instructions for installation. A chocolate teapot would have been more useful. As for the youtube videos all were in German and it was only afterwards that I discovered the english dubbed versions on their website.

My query is whilst watching the video on shortening the cable he had a tool for cutting the cable (do I need this or will a cutter for outer cable casings do). When he cut the cable no fluid leaked out at all but won't this introduce a small air lock when reconnecting the hose?

I'm rerouting the Magura cable so preventing fluid leaking out after I've cut it, is going to be a challenge. I'm going to have to find some way of sealing off the end of the hose so I can route it through the frame. This leads me to my other question which is how on earth do I top up the HS11 if I need to?

Re: Magura HS11 rim brakes, maintenance advice needed
« Reply #1 on: 04 November, 2017, 09:08:05 am »
there is a procedure for bleeding the brakes, just like there is for any other hydraulic brake.

To accomplish this you need some more brake fluid (Magura stuff or compatible) and a bleed kit.

You also need a small clamp block that allows the hose to be held firmly (but without damage) eg in a bench vice whilst the barb connector is inserted, top remake the hose conenctions.

If you are  in any doubt about this work, it is probably best to entrust it to the LBS; worst case outcomes for this work are

a) that you break the brakes (Maguras have lots of plastic parts that are delicate if mishandled) or

b) that you end up with brakes that won't work properly and you find out when you really need them.

cheers

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2 on: 04 November, 2017, 01:53:24 pm »
Plus 1 for Brucey's advice. I fitted mine to the tandem. The front was fine (right length) but the back needed a new line and therefore bleeding. Even with the kit I couldn't keep all the air out. Leisure Lakes did it for £10. Cheap for peace of mind.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #3 on: 04 November, 2017, 01:59:34 pm »
I was rather hoping someone would point me to a video clip or instructions on how you top up the HS11 in the scenario there was loss of fluid during the rerouting procedure I'm going to carry out.

I'm competent enough in bike mechanics to be confident in carrying out this procedure hence why before doing anything I'm gathering as much information as possible. Since these are hydraulic rim brakes I'm not sure I'd be happy letting the LBS at it since these brakes are a rarity here in the UK.

Plus 1 for Brucey's advice. I fitted mine to the tandem. The front was fine (right length) but the back needed a new line and therefore bleeding. Even with the kit I couldn't keep all the air out. Leisure Lakes did it for £10. Cheap for peace of mind.

What hydraulic brakes do you have on the tandem?

You also need a small clamp block that allows the hose to be held firmly (but without damage) eg in a bench vice whilst the barb connector is inserted, top remake the hose conenctions.

Fair point but could easily machine this out of a block of wood.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4 on: 04 November, 2017, 02:06:17 pm »
I don't know where I'd find a video clip or instructions that you haven't been able to, sorry.

I'm very keen on doing these things myself too, but I struggled to get this particular job right and decided it wasn't worth the risk.

The tandem came with cantilever brakes. I replaced them with Magura rim brakes operated by the (hen's teeth) drop bar levers. I bought the entire set second hand from a YACF-er.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #5 on: 04 November, 2017, 03:04:19 pm »
I don't know where I'd find a video clip or instructions that you haven't been able to, sorry.

I'm very keen on doing these things myself too, but I struggled to get this particular job right and decided it wasn't worth the risk.

The tandem came with cantilever brakes. I replaced them with Magura rim brakes operated by the (hen's teeth) drop bar levers. I bought the entire set second hand from a YACF-er.

I've looked at all the relevant videos on the Magura website and the HS11 is a bit different from the other models but can't find anything relating to bleeding. I've seen videos of guys refilling their hydraulic rim brakes with water, apparently it works!

Okay I've just come across this video after more searches on youtube. Inexplicably they've failed to put a link to this video on their website for the HS11 tech support video section!! Unfortunately it's in german but I've sent an email asking about an english version.

« Reply #6 on: 04 November, 2017, 04:38:18 pm »

You also need a small clamp block that allows the hose to be held firmly (but without damage) eg in a bench vice whilst the barb connector is inserted, to remake the hose connections.

Fair point but could easily machine this out of a block of wood.

very optimistic IMHO. Folk have occasionally reported ad-hoc solutions but tbh the correct tool is not expensive and is designed for the job. IIRC it has ridges on the inside so that it grips the hose without damage. The insertion force for the barb is surprisingly high. BTW a single scratch on the barb (easily made whilst the old hose is being removed from the barb) can render it useless. In addition some of the metal fittings thread into plastic parts (easy to bugger them up) and Magura also make some of the flimsiest bleed fittings known to mankind.

If you struggled to fit the brakes on the bike at all you are almost certain to come unstuck doing anything more complicated, regardless of how many noddy-esque videos you look at.

Having said that, bleeding hydraulic brakes is not rocket science and the exact procedure that works best varies with the installation as well as with the brake type.

If you have not done this sort of work before, and  the only reason  you are breaking the hydraulic system, is that you wish to fit the hose within the frame, my advice is that you perhaps shouldn't bother to do this.

The brake won't need bleeding if you leave it alone and if work is needed on the system in the future it is made a lot easier if you have a system that can be removed en masse from the bike.

Magura rim brakes have been around for about 30 years and most half-decent  LBSs have encountered them. You could ask them about it instead of making  assumptions about what they do and don't know.

cheers

« Reply #7 on: 05 November, 2017, 05:04:45 pm »
Well I've decided to buy the Magura mini service kit at the end of the month. Whilst I could make up my own kit I'm sure for less money, time is money and I can't be bothered faffing about.

I've taken your advice Brucey, the kit contains everything I need. By doing it myself I'm in charge of my own destiny and I prefer to service things myself that way I know my stuff inside out when it goes wrong.

Thanks for all the good advice guys :)