Author Topic: Considering RRtY  (Read 8516 times)

Re: Considering RRtY
« Reply #50 on: 18 November, 2017, 09:47:44 am »
Thanks for the responses everyone  :)

I does seem like a great challenge and by starting at this time of year I can (hopefully) get the potentially most difficult rides done first whilst motivation is still high.

The information about permanents is really useful. I am based in Cheltenham and so have great options from Blacksheep and Steve Poulton on the doorstep but I guess this is also a great excuse to try some rides further afield - the "Snowdon, Lleyn & Lakes 200" is tickling my fancy as my wife has family in that neck of the woods who she could do with visiting next year (any excuse  ;D)

I'm just along the A40 from you Northleach and had set off on the RRTY adventure last month but have already failed....family visits, dodgy GPS download and other social activities have scuppered it.

I've got a 3Peaker permanent to use now so may use this next month. Future company maybe????

« Reply #51 on: 03 December, 2017, 06:56:47 pm »
So completed my second 200km yesterday - Kings, Castles, Priests and Churches - so I am starting to feel committed to RRtY.

The ride went ok although I forgot my waterbottles. Luckily my daughter had left a bottle she uses for school/guides in the back of the car. Only holds about a pint and too narrow for a bottle cage but it lived happily enough in a jersey pocket and got me round after being filled at each control.

I also did not bring shoe covers and so suffered with wet feet for the first couple of hours. To compensate for that my new Sealskin gloves were great.

I finished at about !9:45 which knocked about 20 minutes off last months ride and averaged just over 10 mph. I would like to get a bit faster as, given a serious mechanical, I could easily be out of time. I need to improve my climbing speed and also my night riding speed. Maybe I should try to hang onto a group for a bit of a tow? - any tips welcome.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #52 on: 03 December, 2017, 10:47:00 pm »
Faster, climbier, nada nada.

RRTY means do the rides every month. Getting in a situation where you are out of time is bad, but not being able to get out of bed is worse.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #53 on: 04 December, 2017, 08:22:04 am »
Nemesis,

if you were the guy on a Cannondale wearing a blue jersey that I passed climbing Mortimer Forest, then my recommendation for you to go faster would be getting a wider range cassette with some lower gears. It may seem counter-intuitive but a lower gear will enable you to climb faster through maintaining a better cadence.

RRTY is a really nice challenge because it makes you get out on your bike, and no matter how reluctant you are, 99 times out of a 100 you enjoy every minute. Often the summer months are the hardest to fit in, due to holidays, family barbecues and test matches.

« Reply #54 on: 05 December, 2017, 10:16:25 pm »
Drone,

Yes that was me. I do seem pretty slow on the hills  :(

I have thought about lower gears. If it was just a matter of a new cassette and chain I might go for it but do not really want to shell out for a new rear mech.

The Cannondale has a 12-28 cassette fitted. Newer models come with a 12-32 and I found this good when I rented one in Gran Canaria a couple of years ago. Rode it up the Tauro pass a couple of times  :)

I think dropping a bit of weight would be equally beneficial - have made good progress already with that but still some way to go.

« Reply #55 on: 07 December, 2017, 04:09:30 pm »
Good Luck with RRTY I did one and wont do another as ended up skating on ice a few times when I would have stayed home if being sensible

Over here it is called the R12 but like you we have a similar problem with the weather except at the other end of the scale. Temperatures hitting the hundreds with high humidity along the gulf coast drags the energy out of the body. I have given up riding long in those temperatures - which have got worse over the last few years - so R12 is no longer in my sight.

I do wonder why the R12 couldn't be augmented with say a Y12, meaning riding 12 brevets/perms in a year rather than once a month. In the northern reaches of the states or example, ice descends pretty early so the riders up there, go ice fishing or skating rather than riding bikes and allowing a Y12 would give them a goal to aim for. However, like many such organisations, change in RUSA moves very slowly, so I'm not expecting much any time soon.

Enjoy what riding you can get in, there are few things sadder than a bike hanging in the garage wishing to go for a ride.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #56 on: 09 December, 2017, 12:27:04 pm »
Enjoy what riding you can get in, there are few things sadder than a bike hanging in the garage wishing to go for a ride.

That's why you should always have loads of bikes hanging in the garage....so they don't get lonely*

*Mine started complaining about over-crowding so there's a fine line.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.