Author Topic: 26.8mm dia Seatpost with 4cm setback  (Read 1889 times)

slohill

• still at it
26.8mm dia Seatpost with 4cm setback
« on: 21 November, 2017, 04:57:46 pm »
This might be a hopeless cause---but does anyone know where I can get one??? ???
I need it to fit my ageing backside and legs legs to my venerable "Rider" columbus tubing steel frame.
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

Re: 26.8mm dia Seatpost with 4cm setback
« Reply #1 on: 21 November, 2017, 05:17:33 pm »
see https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/seat-posts-rigid/?diameter=26%2E8 for a selection, of which the shimano pro model looks pretty good although it isn't a 4cm setback one.

Nitto, Velo Orange , and Planet X (Holdsworth) do seat pins that have enough layback but they seem to be 27.2 or nothing.  One solution is to buy a 27.2mm one and have someone put it in a lathe and make it the correct size to suit your frameset.

cheers

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2017, 05:31:22 pm »
see https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/seat-posts-rigid/?diameter=26%2E8 for a selection, of which the shimano pro model looks pretty good although it isn't a 4cm setback one.

Nitto, Velo Orange , and Planet X (Holdsworth) do seat pins that have enough layback but they seem to be 27.2 or nothing.  One solution is to buy a 27.2mm one and have someone put it in a lathe and make it the correct size to suit your frameset.

cheers
System EX and a saddle with longer rails if necessary.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 22 November, 2017, 10:14:06 am »

« Reply #4 on: 22 November, 2017, 10:29:10 am »
BTW what saddle are you using, and would you be prepared to change it (to get more setback) if necessary ?

cheers

rogerzilla

« Reply #5 on: 22 November, 2017, 10:56:25 am »
Bet it's a Brooks...the short rails are a 'mare on modern frames with steep seat tube angles.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #6 on: 22 November, 2017, 11:14:59 am »
I may have a 26.8 seatpost at home with nearly if not quite 40 mm of travel.  I'll dig around and let you know.

« Reply #7 on: 22 November, 2017, 04:33:50 pm »
How is setback measured? I have this seatpost, that supposedly only has a 2.4 cm setback. Yet that seems to be more, going from the center of the seatpost, to the center of the connection bit.   

« Reply #8 on: 22 November, 2017, 05:04:29 pm »
I don't think it is always measured in a consistent way. A common method is to measure from the front of the seat pin to the front of the clamp.

Measuring to the middle of the clamp arguably isn't as useful, since clamps vary in length and the front  part  limits the setback of the saddle.

Measuring to the front of the seat pin is  also arguably less useful, in that the setback then varies a little with seat pin diameter.

cheers

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #9 on: 23 November, 2017, 10:36:29 am »
Thanks to all for this excellent feedback---much food for thought and practical advice.
I use only old style San Marco Rolls saddle---not a Brooks.
Due to a very bad Knee injury (which incidentally got me into cycling on recommendation of Physio many years ago) I started off with 7cm set back (nose of saddle to centreline through bottom bracket centre).
Over the last couple of years this has moved further to 8.5 cm set back which I find more comfortable.
I have a vintage 27.2mm Time seatpost on my steel Rossin (obtained from the "Hard to Find" man about 20 years ago---remember him?) which gives loads of setback due to it's unique design.  I now need something similar for my Rider steel bike which has 26.8mm dia post.
Once again---thanks for all the help and advice. :thumbsup:
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #10 on: 23 November, 2017, 10:55:52 am »
Mine is 26.4, sorry. 

26.8 is a hard size to find - you may be best taking Brucey's suggestion of getting a 27.2 post machined down.

« Reply #11 on: 23 November, 2017, 07:43:52 pm »
Mine is 26.4, sorry. 

26.8 is a hard size to find - you may be best taking Brucey's suggestion of getting a 27.2 post machined down.

If you want to get rid of it I am interested. The Peugeot's post is a bit naff. Could give a delivery address in Oxford.

rogerzilla

« Reply #12 on: 24 November, 2017, 08:04:58 pm »
26.8 is pretty common!  Used on straight gauge 531 frames and some steel MTBs.  I have two or three bikes with that size.

I like 95mm setback so I come across this problem frequently.  It's not all in my head - when I shoved the saddle 1cm further back on the Team Carbon it was not only more comfortable, there was a big increase in power.