Author Topic: Laptop internet connection keeps dropping...  (Read 3819 times)

Laptop internet connection keeps dropping...
« on: 03 December, 2017, 10:39:38 am »
New i3 Win10 Dell keeps dropping wifi connection (with Wifi still showing connection), unlike other older Win10 Dell here, which has very stable wifi connection.

Happens with different browsers  Chrome gives:  "This site can't be reached.  The connection was reset.   try checking connection/ proxy & firewall, running Win diagnostics."  Win diagnts 'can't  find anything'...

It's a Qualcomm QCA9565 802.1 11b/g/n adapter  - I've unchecked the 'allow adapter to be turned off to save power'; doesn't seem to make a difference.  Driver is up to date apparently. edit. diagnosis oon adaptor:  Connection incident diagnosed.  Auto config: id 4.  printed out a few pages of 'gobbledegook'. 

If wifi down, when I click 'disconnect' the wifi, and then re- connect this seems to work, though not every time.

Just restarted laptop, browser "ERR_CONNECTION_RESET".   ???

Any thoughts?

edit. seems similar to EG's problem, on this board.   Proxy is set to auto, as this is the case with the other laptop here also set to auto, whcih has no connection issues.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Laptop internet connection keeps dropping...
« Reply #1 on: 03 December, 2017, 11:52:32 am »
Maybe it is connecting to the wrong network. Do you have more than one router/access point set up? Does your router have 5GHz WiFi, and is it using the same SSID?

« Reply #2 on: 03 December, 2017, 12:26:06 pm »
Thanks, just checked the router.  There is 2.4GHz and 5GHz enabled, both with same SSID.   
'Connectivity IPv4/IPv6'

One one router, no extenders.

What are the chances of a hardware - network adapter fault i wonder...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 03 December, 2017, 12:30:09 pm »
Thanks, just checked the router.  There is 2.4GHz and 5GHz enabled, both with same SSID.

So it could be hopping between them?

« Reply #4 on: 03 December, 2017, 12:31:13 pm »
Thanks Kim, no idea.  The other Dell is totally fine - has a Intel Dual Band AC3165 adapter (325Mbps+)

Dell with issue adapter is speed 135Mbps.

« Reply #5 on: 03 December, 2017, 12:47:47 pm »
Could the problem be the processor taking too long to load a web page?  WIFI connection symbol never shows as disconnected.

Afasoas

« Reply #6 on: 03 December, 2017, 12:55:28 pm »
Next time you lose connectivity try ...

<Windows Key> + <R>
type 'cmd' and hit <enter>
in the box that pops up type 'ping 8.8.8.8'

If you get a result that looks something like this, you are connected to the internet:

Code: [Select]
ping 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=59 time=130 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=2 ttl=59 time=130 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=3 ttl=59 time=131 ms

If not, you will either get 'ping transmit failure', 'timeout' etc.
Let us know the result. We can go from there.

« Reply #7 on: 03 December, 2017, 12:58:49 pm »
Thanks.  Currently connected.  Min 31ms, max 86ms

On WIFI properties:   Network band :  2.4GHz.  Doesn't mention 5GHz so may 'hopping' be an issue.  Googled...  looks like adapter not 5GHz compatible

Afasoas

« Reply #8 on: 03 December, 2017, 01:06:33 pm »
Cool. More interested in what's happening when it's not connected. Keep us posted.

« Reply #9 on: 03 December, 2017, 01:11:01 pm »
If adapter only 2.4GHz, could there be a interference issue?

edit: cordless phone is 1.9GHz

« Reply #10 on: 03 December, 2017, 01:47:47 pm »
New Dell wireless mouse ordered with laptop operates at 2.4GHz - same as wifi adapter.  My logitech mouse is 2.4GHz too.  Problem?

« Reply #11 on: 03 December, 2017, 01:51:17 pm »
New Dell wireless mouse ordered with laptop operates at 2.4GHz - same as wifi adapter.  My logitech mouse is 2.4GHz too.  Problem?

No, mouse will be OK, phone should be as well.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #12 on: 03 December, 2017, 02:00:23 pm »
Thanks.

Just tried to connect to diff websites...  "this site can't be reached/ Connection reset"  Did a ping  and got min 27ms & max 28ms.    So why would I have internet, but not be able to reach sites?   ???

edit one of the websites has appeared now.  Connection timing out - too slow?  Reloaded iplayer - 'can't be reached'.  Loaded again, and connected...

Again...

Check connection ping 8.8.8.8  OK.
Quit browser
Open website. 
Site can't be reached.
Reload multiple time.  Nope.
Ping again.  Still have internet.

« Reply #13 on: 03 December, 2017, 02:37:27 pm »
Googled.

Could it be DNS server issue?   How do I check this?

Hum.  but why only one laptop  with problem, not the other  ???

edit.  also now tried clearing browser caches.

« Reply #14 on: 03 December, 2017, 03:19:29 pm »
I've just googled 'This site can't be reached', and returned error 'This site can't be reached'...    ;) :-\ :facepalm:

Afasoas

« Reply #15 on: 03 December, 2017, 04:04:05 pm »
Okay.

In your cmd window, run "ipconfig /all" and post the results. That way we can see what DNS servers you are using (could be your router, could be your ISP).

When you have just done that, just to be sure it's DNS, run "ping /t" instead of just ping.
That will ping continuously. Don't worry about the occasionally dropped ping. If it's more than the occasional dropped ping, it might not be DNS.

« Reply #16 on: 03 December, 2017, 05:01:43 pm »
DNS server address is the same IP address as the router. 
In the network settings it's 'Obtain DNS server address automatically'. 

These are the same as the other Dell with no problems.

Continuous ping did not drop any connections.

The browser "err_connection_reset" is sporadic.

e.g.

Open Chrome, click on iplayer bookmark - site opens min delay, new tab> connect to iplayer - site opens min delay. close chrome.
Repeat.  Same. fine.
Repeat.  click on iplayer bookmark. No load in 15s.  The site can't be reached.  New tab.  click on iplayer bookmark. No load in 15s.  The site can't be reached.
Wait 15 mins, open new chrome browser.
No cigar.

Similar with Firefox (although may not return error - just keeps trying to connect).

« Reply #17 on: 03 December, 2017, 05:18:58 pm »
Set teh DNS manually to 4.4.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 (google's DNS) and see if that helps

« Reply #18 on: 03 December, 2017, 05:23:29 pm »
Set teh DNS manually to 4.4.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 (google's DNS) and see if that helps

TThanks Ham.  Tried OpenDNS earlier, didn't seem to help.  Will try google.

« Reply #19 on: 03 December, 2017, 05:35:19 pm »
8.8.8.8 doesn't seem to help.

Firefox = secure connection failed.  edit.  loaded again it worked.  seems sporadic.

i3 chip is too weedy?  falls over trying to load graphic-rich sites.   ???

« Reply #20 on: 03 December, 2017, 05:42:31 pm »
Unless there's something strange going on in your router (not impossible by any means) once you have internet connection and a known good DNS you have eliminated network (excepting the router).

You might have a go at downloading k-meleon which has the advantage of being able to turn off Java, Javascript and just about everything (I use it for browsing ad-blocker checking sites, and when unsure about the status of a site) - it has its uses anyhow. Quicker having a browser set up with nothing in, rather than reconfiguring swishy browsers.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/download.php

If it works - indicates browser issue, if it still doesn't, points at the router.

ETA... just checked they are using the latest version of Gecko - the Mozilla/Firefox engine, may be worth going for a back version, I use Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/24.0 K-Meleon/74.0 Which is about 3 years old. (pasted from the About screen)

Afasoas

« Reply #21 on: 03 December, 2017, 05:46:58 pm »
Hello,

Changing the DNS locally on the machine is one option, but if everything is tickety-boo for the other machine, than that suggests oddness.
Please could you do an "ipconfig /all" and either post or PM me the full output from it?

Is there any free/bundled/paid for Anti-virus/cloud security type software running on the machine?

It's not your CPU being too weedy, and chances are the Wi-Fi adapter is working just fine.

Thanks
.A

« Reply #22 on: 03 December, 2017, 05:53:24 pm »
Thanks.  laptop has disappeared with mini ao atm
Using Windows defender.  I removed (hopefully) expired free trial of mcaffee.

« Reply #23 on: 03 December, 2017, 10:02:02 pm »
Not seeing how to copy cmd window info out, but I had the output (from two Dells) side by side on the screens, and literally apart from the different hardware names, and physical address codes, everything is the same.

I'm beginning to think sending it back to Dell for refund is best option.

Afasoas

« Reply #24 on: 03 December, 2017, 10:33:54 pm »
I honestly doubt there's a problem with the laptop, at least not the hardware if pings are not getting dropped.

Are you using Windows 10? You should be able to right click->mark and then highlight, press enter and it's copied to the keyboard.
Or open the title bar menu, there's an option to mark text in there. Sorry for rushed explanation, I can re-visit and explain properly tomorrow.