Author Topic: Best ANT+ HR monitor  (Read 2256 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Best ANT+ HR monitor
« on: 21 December, 2017, 01:48:31 pm »
Second Garmin soft strap in a row o have failed on me at exactly the same point.  The strap itself is OK, getting alternated with my spare and washed regularly, but the snap-on head unit has failed before I've even had the need to replace a battery. One of the connectors is showing evidence of corrosion and it just stopped working on my ride on Monday

Are there any more reliable ANT+ units out there that will connect with my Garmin 800 and Garmin Fenix 2?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Re: Best ANT+ HR monitor
« Reply #1 on: 21 December, 2017, 02:10:04 pm »
You could have had my Wahoo, but I posted it out last week.

The current Garmin run strap, as supplied with the 935 seems ok to me, but I've not had it long. I've never had a strap fail mind, but then I'm not too good at washing them;)

ElyDave

« Reply #2 on: 21 December, 2017, 02:50:59 pm »
I've just checked my amazon record, it was almost 3 years old, bought Jan 2015.  Perhaps I'm being a bit churlish.

« Reply #3 on: 21 December, 2017, 05:24:51 pm »
Decathlon sell a strap that will work with your 800 and it will even accept transponder from Garmin as press-stud spacing is the same.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ant-bluetooth-smart-hrm-id_8334795.html

Also has Bluetooth should you wish to upload to whatever.

Very happy with mine.

ElyDave

« Reply #4 on: 21 December, 2017, 05:56:40 pm »
It's the transponder that's knackered, not the strap.

CHeers
Dave

« Reply #5 on: 21 December, 2017, 06:01:51 pm »
Well then the Decathlon kit will provide a suitable transponder for not a lot of money and you even get a spare strap! Cheap, reliable, works with 800. What is not to like?

« Reply #6 on: 21 December, 2017, 09:02:28 pm »
Decathlon sell a strap that will work with your 800 and it will even accept transponder from Garmin as press-stud spacing is the same.

https://www.richersounds.com/panasonic-dmpbdt380.html

Also has Bluetooth should you wish to upload to whatever.

Very happy with mine.

I suspect that wasn't the URL you intended, given that it's for a Panasonic Blu-ray player  :P

« Reply #7 on: 21 December, 2017, 11:12:53 pm »
Oooooops!

Correct link in modified post.

Ta!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #8 on: 22 December, 2017, 02:02:00 am »
For something different, I suggest a Mio Link or Mio Fuse. Transmits both Ant+ and BLE. Should hopefully last longer than a chest strap.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #9 on: 22 December, 2017, 06:27:00 am »
Was going to suggest the same thing. My Mio link ha# been going strong for several years now. But there’s a but: I received an email from Mio a few weeks ago saying that they were pulling out of the hardware market to focus on software. On 5he plus side that may mean that there are bargains around.

ElyDave

« Reply #10 on: 22 December, 2017, 07:14:05 am »
That's £80 vs30 for the Garmin one.

Decathlon one not available for web order, and I'm going nowhere near a store any time soon, so ended up with another Garmin.  Will see if rinsing it after use does anything to prolong the life.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #11 on: 22 December, 2017, 01:06:21 pm »
You can probably find a Mio Link for about £50. I think its worth it for something that won't cut into my chest.

But if the Garmin strap is comfy for you, that's probably easiest. There have been several versions of the Garmin soft strap, the newer ones may be better.
Have you tried a new battery in your current one?

ElyDave

« Reply #12 on: 22 December, 2017, 03:45:36 pm »
not yet, but last time I had this mode of failure it was terminal due to the terminal. I'll give it a go, but not much hope really

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13 on: 22 December, 2017, 04:13:49 pm »
If you are in the £50+ territory then it might be worth looking at the 4iiii Viiiiva as it has quite a lot of additional functionality and is HR strap agnostic from the reviews I've read.  The additions it brings is being able to act as a ANT+ bridge, so you can pair your ANT+ devices to it and it will re-broadcast them as a BLE device... if you have smart phone or similar apps which will work with BLE then this might be worth looking at.  In common with the Wahoo HR unit it also stores HR data (I think) and does HRV
Regards,

Joergen

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 24 December, 2017, 12:45:13 pm »

I have a Wahoo Tickr. I've only been using it for a month so can't comment on the longevity, but it's been very easy to use and comfortable. So comfortable I keep forgetting to take it off...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #15 on: 24 December, 2017, 08:59:00 pm »
I have an Ebay "CooSpo" chest monitor.  It's fine but looking worn after 2 years.  £18 so I don't mind replacing every few years.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #16 on: 31 December, 2017, 10:54:35 am »
My Garmin strap is still going well after 5 years, I always unsnap the head unit from the strap after use so that the contacts always dry out

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #17 on: 31 December, 2017, 11:22:21 am »
My Garmin strap is still going well after 5 years, I always unsnap the head unit from the strap after use so that the contacts always dry out

I always hang mine up - not got any HR contact problems (the press studs).  Problem I find with the straps is that even though they go through the wash every 2 weeks or so, the eventually fail.  I can tell they are failing as I start getting a rash where the chest contacts (inner bits) are and shortly after that the contacts strips start to come apart...

I've been using a polaris strap for the last 7-8 months and it's holding up a lot better.
Regards,

Joergen

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 31 December, 2017, 11:35:07 am »

Mine seems to have survived a battery change, but the strap itself is starting to do the saggy knicker elastic thing.  Not sure exactly how old, but a few years.

« Reply #19 on: 31 December, 2017, 12:16:26 pm »
I have an Ebay "CooSpo" chest monitor.  It's fine but looking worn after 2 years.  £18 so I don't mind replacing every few years.

I've been using one of these for the last year.  Totally reliable.  Exactly the same functionality as more expensive ones but slightly bulkier.  The straps are interchangeable with branded ones apparently.
The sound of one pannier flapping

dim

« Reply #20 on: 31 December, 2017, 01:13:40 pm »
there's a HR monitor that includes a powermeter .... (well, a 'sort of' powermeter from what I read on DC Rainmaker's site) ...

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/11/cycleops-powercal-in-depth-review.html

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle