Author Topic: Random inappropriate possibly not quite PC thoughts  (Read 10953 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Random inappropriate possibly not quite PC thoughts
« on: 09 January, 2018, 10:38:15 am »
My opener for ten this morning while watching a piece on the TVbox about autonomous cars which were part of a bigger piece about AI.

It's not really correct to refer to autonomous cars as AI controlled. If you needed intelligence to drive a car, way more than half the road users today wouldn't have driving licenses.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: Random inappropriate possibly not quite PC thoughts
« Reply #1 on: 09 January, 2018, 10:40:46 am »
You can become president of the USA with the IQ and hairdo of an Orangutan, so why should driving a car need much brain power?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Ben T

« Reply #2 on: 09 January, 2018, 10:49:53 am »
Those militant vegans that took issue with a restaurant that gave them meat. Surely if they didn't order and thus presumably pay for meat and thus didn't support its industry, but got it, they ended up with the best of both worlds? (is that too un-PC?)

You can become president of the USA with the IQ and hairdo of an Orangutan, so why should driving a car need much brain power?

Because you expect to be allowed to do it without supervision.

« Reply #3 on: 09 January, 2018, 11:00:56 am »
Freedom of speech is a good thing ...

« Reply #4 on: 09 January, 2018, 11:22:08 am »
Those militant vegans that took issue with a restaurant that gave them meat. Surely if they didn't order and thus presumably pay for meat and thus didn't support its industry, but got it, they ended up with the best of both worlds? (is that too un-PC?)
Next time you have some dinner and the serving includes some axle grease and a small serving of horse manure (but you didn't order either), don't complain. You got something you didn't order, but as long as you didn't have to pay for it, that's fine, yes?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Ben T

« Reply #5 on: 09 January, 2018, 01:04:25 pm »
Next time you have some dinner and the serving includes some axle grease and a small serving of horse manure (but you didn't order either), don't complain. You got something you didn't order, but as long as you didn't have to pay for it, that's fine, yes?

Not really because they're not food. Meat is food.  ::-) Would have thought that was obvious...

« Reply #6 on: 09 January, 2018, 01:36:13 pm »

Not really because they're not food. Meat is food.  ::-) Would have thought that was obvious...
You see, technically you can eat axle grease and horse manure. Might not be so great for your digestion, but then . . .
Some vegans say that meat isn't food. You say axle grease and horse manure aren't food. Pretty obvious that there is just a matter of opinion difference going on here. After all, some restaurants serve dirt and charge a lot of money for it (no, really; https://tinyurl.com/akj53ku).

Maybe it isn't obvious (or the world isn't that simple). Just like it isn't 'obvious' to some people that Dan Brown is a terrible writer and his books are dreadful.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Ben T

« Reply #7 on: 09 January, 2018, 02:10:08 pm »
You see, technically you can eat axle grease and horse manure. Might not be so great for your digestion, but then . . .
Some vegans say that meat isn't food. You say axle grease and horse manure aren't food. Pretty obvious that there is just a matter of opinion difference going on here. After all, some restaurants serve dirt and charge a lot of money for it (no, really; https://tinyurl.com/akj53ku).

Maybe it isn't obvious (or the world isn't that simple). Just like it isn't 'obvious' to some people that Dan Brown is a terrible writer and his books are dreadful.

Axle grease and horse manure wouldn't do me any good, as they are not nutritous.
Meat would do a vegan good, as it provides protein.

But even so, that misses the point, which is that vegans don't not order meat because they don't want to eat it, they don't order it because they don't agree with killing animals. If someone genuinely doesn't like meat at all, your point stands, but I personally would think that's a minority. A lot/most (imho) / some/a minority (if you prefer), would love to eat meat if they could square it with their conscience, but they put themselves through the abstention for the sake of their principles.
No one becomes a vegan because they don't like meat - as all meat is different. If you eat meat and you don't like it, you just move onto another meat that you do. They become a vegan because they don't agree with killing animals, despite the fact that meat is a nice nutritous food and a staple of the onmnivorous diet that humans have evolved to live on.
In my experience a lot of vegans/vegetarians say it's because they don't like meat because they simply don't want to have the debate about it which they've probably had thousands of times before with everyone that they talk to about it, so they simply say they don't like meat. Doesn't make it true.

ian

« Reply #8 on: 09 January, 2018, 02:23:03 pm »
I'm not sure of the point of this thread, is it a secret entry route to Conservative high command that doesn't involve boob tweets and a bit of casual racism? And wtf does it have to do with vegans, Star Trek's least popular aliens? Are we being tested?

For the record, organisms don't evolve to do anything. Humans didn't evolve to eat meat any more than we evolved noses to support glasses and fingers so we could be rude to people on the internet.

Ben T

« Reply #9 on: 09 January, 2018, 02:49:29 pm »
I'm not sure of the point of this thread, is it a secret entry route to Conservative high command that doesn't involve boob tweets and a bit of casual racism? And wtf does it have to do with vegans, Star Trek's least popular aliens? Are we being tested?
I assumed it was a sort of 'amnesty', i.e. if you would like to espouse any political incorrectnesses that go against The Official Opinion, do it here. :)
I was thinking of starting a thread about those vegans when that restaurant story popped up but was undecided whether it was a bit politically incorrect or not for yacf, so when this thread popped up I thought I'd put it here.

For the record, organisms don't evolve to do anything. Humans didn't evolve to eat meat any more than we evolved noses to support glasses and fingers so we could be rude to people on the internet.

The point was that humans are generally an omnivorous species.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnivore "Examples of omnivores. From left to right: Humans, ..."

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #10 on: 09 January, 2018, 02:55:50 pm »
I know several vegetarians who do not eat meat because they don't like the taste/effects of it on their body. I don't go around interrogating vegans as to why they are vegan, I merely note this for times when I may host them and work out what they can drink/eat and what I can realistically provide with my energy/capacity. Respectful honest conversations about that are what grownups DO! Just like I would if someone ate Kosher or had intolerances/allergies or even strong food dislikes.

No one has any right to put something in someone's food which they have said they do not, or cannot eat. If someone requests something which seems to contain the unwanted item the individual or catering establishment should say "Err, this contains X" but if the person chooses to go ahead with informed consent then that's their choice. It's highly unethical for anyone to sneak unwanted substances into food as some kind of revenge for perceived over-fussiness - for catering establishments it's also likely to be highly unlawful.

And while I sympathise about "fussy" food people who contradict themselves, it's not a justification. I have a friend who told me there were various things they could not eat. Significant effort was put into providing suitable alternatives so they were not left out of treat foods. On the day they asked to eat the regular version - I told them this was full of X and Y which they said they could not eat and that we'd got a special version - they wanted to eat the regular version anyway, so I let them. The next day they got ill and complained that I must have contaminated something else, so I pointedly reminded them about eating the thing I had told them was full of "unwanted" foods so they had to take responsibility. That person was being annoying, they haven't done it again since as I think they did realise they were being an arse - boundary enforced. The majority of my friends who have "fussy eating issues" of any kind are not like this, they're usually appreciative of effort and are grownups about it... 

In the case covered recently It was later clear that while the initial understanding had been it was a vegan group, it turned out only some were vegan, others were vegetarian which is why a mozarella pizza was ordered by someone. To have put probably-not meat but probably-dairy into the food of other people in that group (who were probably vegans) as revenge is appallingly horrible, spiteful and dangerous. One of those vegans could have been lactose or dairy protein intolerant and in not wishing to eat meat described themselves as or even been vegan by preference.  They may have had other reasons for not wanting to eat dairy which should have been respected no matter how weird. They shouldn't have been given contaminated food because someone else in their party or their party were perceived to have pissed off the chef.

I don't condone death threats made against the chef cos no one deserves that no matter how spiteful and nasty they are. However if she's spiked food this time, there's a high chance she's done that before to someone else. She doesn't deserve to work in the catering industry if she has so little clue about ethics, safety and the law that she lets some "challenging" customers annoy her so badly she contaminates their food. I wouldn't go to an eating establishment which was known for not respecting people's food choices - EVEN the really fucking annoying inconsistent ones... That's just basic catering 101.

And yes, I'll totally agree some vegans are fucking annoying, sanctimonious, inconsistent and full of bullshit woo! <--- unPC opinion. (But I'll still not contaminate them! Just bitch about them online!)

Ben T

« Reply #11 on: 09 January, 2018, 03:00:36 pm »
I personally feel that I have way more right to be aggrieved if I order something that's advertised as containing meat and it then doesn't*, than someone who orders something advertised as not containing meat that then does.

* or even doesn't contain much :)

« Reply #12 on: 09 January, 2018, 04:08:54 pm »
I personally feel that I have way more right to be aggrieved if I order something that's advertised as containing meat and it then doesn't*, than someone who orders something advertised as not containing meat that then does.

* or even doesn't contain much :)

I think in fact that you would have exactly the same right to be served exactly what you ordered. 

However,  vegans are usually vegan for more moral and ethical reasons than omnivores are omnivorous.  On this basis I would entertain the possibility that if they are given by deception something that they are opposed to eating, their right to be aggrieved would be greater than if you didn't get bacon in your carbonara.

« Reply #13 on: 09 January, 2018, 04:16:22 pm »

Axle grease and horse manure wouldn't do me any good, as they are not nutritous.

But even so, that misses the point, which is that vegans don't not order meat because they don't want to eat it, they don't order it because they don't agree with killing animals. If someone genuinely doesn't like meat at all, your point stands, but I personally would think that's a minority. A lot/most (imho) / some/a minority (if you prefer), would love to eat meat if they could square it with their conscience, but they put themselves through the abstention for the sake of their principles.
No one becomes a vegan because they don't like meat - as all meat is different. If you eat meat and you don't like it, you just move onto another meat that you do. They become a vegan because they don't agree with killing animals, despite the fact that meat is a nice nutritous food and a staple of the onmnivorous diet that humans have evolved to live on.
In my experience a lot of vegans/vegetarians say it's because they don't like meat because they simply don't want to have the debate about it which they've probably had thousands of times before with everyone that they talk to about it, so they simply say they don't like meat. Doesn't make it true.

This whole story is, to me, an example of not letting the facts interfere with a good story.

The full story is that the chef prepared vegetarian meals for a party. On arrival one of the party decided to change her order, and picked a particular pizza, that had mozzarella ( not vegetarian ).
The chef’s ( Ill judged) tweet was more about a veggie who ordered a non- veggie pizza despite having had veggie food prepared specially for her.
That didn’t prevent a spin on the story creating a media storm.

Ben T

« Reply #14 on: 09 January, 2018, 04:20:51 pm »
This whole story is, to me, an example of not letting the facts interfere with a good story.

The full story is that the chef prepared vegetarian meals for a party. On arrival one of the party decided to change her order, and picked a particular pizza, that had mozzarella ( not vegetarian ).
The chef’s ( Ill judged) tweet was more about a veggie who ordered a non- veggie pizza despite having had veggie food prepared specially for her.
That didn’t prevent a spin on the story creating a media storm.

Moral of the story being, don't post on twitter.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #15 on: 09 January, 2018, 04:27:16 pm »
I have a daughter who is vegan and it annoys the hell out of me. I mean, where's the ethical or moral implication in eating honey FFS. However, she's consistent and I wouldn't dream of adding something to her meal (that I make especially for her!) just because I don't agree with her choice. I wouldn't expect anyone else to do so either.

I have anther daughter who is Coeliac and this also annoys me, but mainly because it's a real pain in the arse to cook for her. however, this isn't a lifestyle choice like her little sister and she has to be very careful about what she does eat. If she eat chips that had been fried in oil that had previously been used to fry fish in batter, she's likely to be ill for a week. Sometimes she gets glutened without knowing where/or what from, and she recently found out that a wine she'd been drinking used some ingredient that wasn't declared as was used in the bottling process and not actually included in the bottle (a fining I think) This was causing her problems and was only identified when she compiled a food diary for a few weeks.

Most kitchens are more careful if you declare you are Coeliac rather than just gluten intolerant because the latter does tend to be fussy eaters. But even so, if someone deliberately added a gluten containing product to her meal it could make her ill for two or three weeks and I'd be suing them for GBH or ABH.

It's a nightmare for her and of course me as my wife has managed to convince herself that all my eldest's ills are her fault for allowing the midwives to feed the newborn daughter a bottle as her first feed because my wife was basically comatose. And that also annoys me, but that's mostly her catholic upbringing and she is my wife, so I don't let that show very often ;D

For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #16 on: 09 January, 2018, 04:34:17 pm »
I assumed it was a sort of 'amnesty', i.e. if you would like to espouse any political incorrectnesses that go against The Official Opinion, do it here. :)

There is no 'political correctness'. There is no 'official opinion'. There's mostly just 'not being a dick'.

Because, you see, it's the 21st century and most of us have moved on from being a dick.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #17 on: 09 January, 2018, 04:49:29 pm »
What barakta said, mostly.

Ben, you may find this very hard to believe, but people who are vegetarian, let alone vegan, quite often find the smell of raw or cooked meat revolting. I'm not currently vegetarian, I have been so in the past and I can assure you that it is possible for a person's tastes to change and really, truly not like meat.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #18 on: 09 January, 2018, 05:16:17 pm »

Is this how they’d get protein?
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #19 on: 09 January, 2018, 07:18:21 pm »
To be onest, a vegan death-threat sounds about the least scary thing ever. What are they going to use, a parsnip?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #20 on: 09 January, 2018, 07:27:52 pm »
SO is a vegan and you would find her very scary.  I don't think she'd have any qualms about feeding you to her cats. They're obligate carnivores so it's ok. I don't quite get this piece of doublethink but I buy my own milk.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #21 on: 09 January, 2018, 07:35:08 pm »
Changing the subject....Split my firewoody.

Random, not quite pc, will suit the conservatives amongst us and make your toes curl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fWo0P0MdJM

« Reply #22 on: 09 January, 2018, 07:43:44 pm »
Blimey.  She knows how to handle a chopper! 

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #23 on: 09 January, 2018, 08:28:25 pm »

Random, not quite pc, will suit the conservatives amongst us and make your toes curl.

That's strangely appealing to watch. Great technique - logs never split that neatly or easily for me. I like her style.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #24 on: 09 January, 2018, 08:38:04 pm »

The top comment seems familiar
<i>Marmite slave</i>