Author Topic: Hub dynamo lamps as odermeters...  (Read 1375 times)

Hub dynamo lamps as odermeters...
« on: 05 March, 2018, 05:55:27 pm »
As hub dynamos are usually permanently connected to the  front lamp, why not count the ac cycles to run a simple  odometer/max speed etc 'computer' display on the front lamp and save the weight of a separate computer.  Also, if encouraged microcontrollers in  lampsm, maybe it would encourage fixing flickering at low speed :)....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Hub dynamo lamps as odermeters...
« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2018, 06:01:02 pm »
Because front lamps go on fork crowns and booms, which is a suboptimal place for a computer.

But yes, I've thought of this before.  A computer designed to work with a dynamo does away with all that sensor/magnet rubbish, and it can be permanently backlit.  I'm sure that would be popular with maybe dozens of audaxers.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2018, 06:23:15 pm »
There used to be a conversion number where an Avocet computer could be calibrated against the magnets of a SON Delux dynohub. I don't know if anybody has done anything similar since, as most cycle computers just used a reed switch closing once per wheel revolution, unlike Avocet.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2018, 08:01:59 pm »
It sounds like a handy idea. But there are so many computers and GPSes already giving these functions for the thousands of bikes with dynamos and the hundreds of millions without.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 05 March, 2018, 08:08:49 pm »
Because front lamps go on fork crowns and booms, which is a suboptimal place for a computer....
I think it is an OK location if you are not interested in your current speed but simply in looking at distance/max speed/average speed/time taken etc when stopped somewhere. My Tourer's computer is on the rear rack because that is all I am interested in (also cause the magnet is on the rear and was the easiest place to mount :) ) . On the folder it is on the front frame for same reason (sort of) (although the practical reason was that was about as far as the wireless transmitter could reach (cos tubes blocked the route to the bars somehow) :( .

Also, uprights could fit lamps to handlebars if desired .

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 05 March, 2018, 08:20:35 pm »
Its a nice idea. It should be more accurate than a simple sensor/magnet, as it can measure multiple times for each rotation of the wheel.
Presumably it would depend on the number of poles in the dynamo, so need to be calibrated for a particular model.

Would be handy if it could transmit as ANT+, so you can connect it to your usual cycle computer/GPS.
But would probably be a lot more complicated and expensive than a simple sensor/magnet, or an accelerometer style on the hub. So not sure if it would be worth it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 05 March, 2018, 08:23:18 pm »
Would be handy if it could transmit as ANT+, so you can connect it to your usual cycle computer/GPS.
But would probably be a lot more complicated and expensive than a simple sensor/magnet, or an accelerometer style on the hub. So not sure if it would be worth it.

Indeed.  The main benefit as I saw it was that you could power a backlight.

« Reply #7 on: 05 March, 2018, 08:26:27 pm »
It seems some phones also understand ANT+

https://www.thisisant.com/directory/filter/~/60/~/