Author Topic: Metal prefab garages  (Read 1292 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Metal prefab garages
« on: 18 March, 2018, 06:02:31 pm »
I am thinking of buying a house that has no garage but a free standing space where cars are parked. In theory, I can put a prefab metal garage there.  The space is large enough for 2 cars.  Given that the base should be ok, so I simply need someone to build up the garage and somehow fit it to the ground?

The garage is to store the bicycles and motorcycle.  I would like to park the car inside if I can.

Thanks

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Metal prefab garages
« Reply #1 on: 18 March, 2018, 06:42:58 pm »
Most prefabricated metal buildings will be to a production size. The first thing to do would be to find the building that best fits your allotted space.

The base needs to be completely level and soundly constructed, no crumbly edges. You need to ascertain the depth the concrete (?) is laid, no good bolting down a building to find it wandering away the next time we get a force 8.

Given it's going to house your pride & joy, security is paramount. Metal walls alone won't stop the bastards who make a living stealing motorbikes. if someone put it together they will find a way to take it apart . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 18 March, 2018, 06:51:10 pm »
Check about the need for planning permission.
Consider also the need and price of electrical installation.
Think about guttering and whether you'll route water into a water butt.
If you install a garage with garage type doors, there will always be water ingress under them.
If you want to use this outbuilding as a gym, you might want to buy extra height.
Watch installers carefully; our garage was supposed to have a window that opened but a fixed window was supplied. By the time we realised, they had buggered off back Up North and we could not be bothered to replace the windows in our finished garage.
Our garage is concrete.
Metal is noisy.

velosam

« Reply #3 on: 18 March, 2018, 07:48:28 pm »
Great many thanks.  Seems I am better off getting a place that has one already

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 18 March, 2018, 08:17:19 pm »
I'm not saying 'Don't do it!'
I'm saying it's a bit like a Ryanair flight, with many extras after the initial low price.

Our garage was installed by VSF in summer 2015. It was a replacement for a pre-existing asbestos/concrete structure.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 18 March, 2018, 08:26:02 pm »
For motorbikes / bicycles, worth fitting some sort of ground anchor.

velosam

« Reply #6 on: 18 March, 2018, 08:27:42 pm »
What is a VSF?

The price difference isn’t that much and I suspect close to nil if I add in the maintenance.  I really don’t know about this falling house price secenario, houses are selling within weeks of getting on, some within days! Thanks

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 18 March, 2018, 08:30:35 pm »

velosam

« Reply #8 on: 18 March, 2018, 09:12:23 pm »
Thanks

« Reply #9 on: 19 March, 2018, 03:54:53 am »
If you're pouring new concrete for the foundation & floor, it's possible to slope the floor in the middle to drain toward the door, while having the edges for the walls at the same level.  This will at least use some gravity to direct water out. 
Consider some insulation in the roof (often a plastic-faced blanket, white to reflect some light) even if you don't insulate the walls; helps reduce condensation and dripping onto stored items.