Author Topic: What laptop?  (Read 7556 times)

What laptop?
« on: 22 March, 2018, 02:53:30 pm »
I'm looking for a new laptop for the first time in 11 years. What should I look for? Any recommendations?

It will be my only computer so it has to do everything, I never take anything off so it needs plenty of storage and we don't generally have a tv so we watch films and youtube on it. I would prefer smaller screen and it will be used for ALC documents and my CV and so on. It also needs a camera and microphone.

There seem to be big gaps in how much memory are included - what do I need?

It is likely to have to last a while so I want one that is pretty up to date to start with - my last one was windows vista which was a proper pain. It needs to be compatible with stuff.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Re: What laptop?
« Reply #1 on: 22 March, 2018, 03:06:28 pm »
Don't buy something with less than 6GB of RAM

SSD hard drives are terrific, fast, robust if you are moving computer about. However they are expensive in larger sizes. You can save money by getting something that is an SSD/spinning disk hybrid.

Generally there are two classes of processor; power saving or performance. Intel M series are the power savers I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

You say you prefer smaller screens, but watch out you don't compromise on resolution. Some things won't display well in the future on devices with too low a resolution. Don't go below 1080 vertical resolution.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 22 March, 2018, 03:14:40 pm »
I bought an HP Spectre x360 13 inch abotu six months ago.  It is gorgeous.
Light, 1Tbyte SSD, 16Gbytes RAM. 4K screen.  It folds back on itself to become a tablet, or you can use 'tent' mode.
2x USB-C ports plus one conventional USB port.
Windows 10.  It has Windows 10 Hello so all you have to do is give it a Paddington Bear state and it logs you in.

The only downside is that it costs $$$

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #3 on: 22 March, 2018, 08:18:05 pm »
Don't buy something with less than 6GB of RAM
I disagree with that.  But first what is your priority Butterfly?  Another machine that will last 11 years or something thin, light and generally speaking gorgeous?

If you want a machine to last you want it upgradable, a hard disk that can be replaced and RAM upgaded.  Ignore the fitted RAM, it is max RAM that matters.  Ignore the hard disc capacity, just be sure it's not some dead end weird type (unlikely but do check).  Choose a machine with 4GB fitted 16GB max before one with 6GB fitted 8GB max.  Hard disc capacity is very easily upgraded and mrcharly-YHT is right about hybrid drives, they rock, but very few manufacturers fit them.  Choose the smallest cheapest spinning rust option and swap it out on day 1 for a sensible size hybrid.  Pure SSD + 'plenty of storage' is going to cost heaps.

If portability and lightness are the priority then fitted RAM and fitted HD capacity matter because you're stuck with them for the life of the machine.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2018, 08:19:04 pm »
MacBook Pro.

« Reply #5 on: 23 March, 2018, 09:33:24 am »
When I bought my laptop six years ago I got one with 6gb ram (upgradeable) and 750gb hdd.  Six years later and the old he'd has been troublesome and will be replaced with an SAD this year and the 6gb (actually 8gb) ram remains sufficient as I am not a power user.  I use mine for a similar range of activities that you do.

Mine also came with a quad core Intel i5 processor. 

If I judge your needs It's say:

quad core i5 minimum
8gb ram minimum
500gb sad minimum

Also, buy yourself a couple of external hard drives or even in fact just a pair of large usb drives to back up your important data.  I use usb drives as well as a network drive for backup of work but otherwise just a network drive for backup of photographs.

HP, Dell, and Fujitsu seem to occupy the corporate market and seem good though my 'cheap' Acer has been very reliable.  It's only the Samsung hard disk that has played up.

Assuming Windows os I also use Libre Office which is more than adequate for anybody but a power user.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 23 March, 2018, 10:51:25 am »
Also, buy yourself a couple of external hard drives or even in fact just a pair of large usb drives to back up your important data.

+1. My friends' laptops seem to be very good at dying on them, even the ones who don't abuse them.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #7 on: 23 March, 2018, 12:29:32 pm »
MacBook Pro.

Yep, or the windows equivalent - Dell XPS 15 depending on whether you prefer cats or dogs (to start another war).

Butterfly hasn't mentioned budget yet so I neither might be possible.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #8 on: 23 March, 2018, 12:46:34 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 23 March, 2018, 12:59:00 pm »
Also, buy yourself a couple of external hard drives or even in fact just a pair of large usb drives to back up your important data.

+1. My friends' laptops seem to be very good at dying on them, even the ones who don't abuse them.

Absolutely.  The problem's not so much with laptops (though they have additional failure modes compared to desktops such as being dropped, eaten by dogs, more easily stolen and misplaced power supplies) as with only having one computer, which is a bit like only having one bike in that it's sometimes necessary, but you need strategies for when it inevitably lets you down.

Can't give much in the way of relevant advice, as I hate laptops and haven't bought one since the early 2000s.  Other than not to confuse memory (RAM) with storage (SSD/disk).  Lack of RAM seems to be how computers become obsolete these days, so you ideally want something that's decently expandable, if not healthily over-specced.  Storage is usually easier to upgrade, and even if it can't, you can offload some data and restore full functionality.

Oh, if you're even slightly fussy about keyboards or trackpads, try to fondle them before you buy.  Same goes for screens, tbh.  Beware of overly shiny ones, they're hard to read in daylight.

Ignore all the Windows vs Mac stuff that will inevitably appear on the thread.  If the three dead trolls in a baggie have taught us anything, it's that every OS sucks.  Work out what applications software you want to run, then choose the OS according to that, like grown-ups do.

« Reply #10 on: 23 March, 2018, 01:03:17 pm »
Have you considered a Chromebook? Dead cheap, and you use your docuemnts on Google Drive.

I don't think Netflix works on them though (I may be wrong)., and I doubt you can lpay movies from a DVD drive.
Printing is weird also - you need a Google cloud printer. It will nto talk to any old printer plugged in via USB.
Otherwise chromebooks are great things - they are bombproof, you just wipe it and get back the configuration if anything goes wrog with it.

« Reply #11 on: 23 March, 2018, 01:10:48 pm »
Buying  a laptop that will last you 10 years will be spendy. A 15 inch Macbook Pro starts at £1800 !
For that kind of money you can buy a new £500 Windows laptop every three years.

Its worth thinking about.

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 23 March, 2018, 01:13:51 pm »
Lack of RAM seems to be how computers become obsolete these days, so you ideally want something that's decently expandable, if not healthily over-specced.  Storage is usually easier to upgrade, and even if it can't, you can offload some data and restore full functionality.

Of course, all available memory slots will be occupied when you get the beast unless they allow you to spec the number and capacities of the cards you want installed. Even then they'll try & twist your arm by saying "well, we'll have to charge you for what's already in it, then replace that with what you want". They'll give you the cards they remove, but they'll be unsellable because they're what everyone already has.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 23 March, 2018, 01:26:04 pm »
Buying  a laptop that will last you 10 years will be spendy. A 15 inch Macbook Pro starts at £1800 !
For that kind of money you can buy a new £500 Windows laptop every three years.

Given the high risk of accidental laptop damage, I'd certainly lean towards the latter.  Unless you're using it as a desktop, in which case you can build a desktop that'll last you for 10 years for significantly less.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 23 March, 2018, 01:32:45 pm »
Second the advice about trying keyboards and trackpads. Definitely a factor for me, might well be for you.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #15 on: 23 March, 2018, 01:42:52 pm »
I always disable the tracks and use a separate mouse.  Trackpads are the work of Stan.

One common problem I and others of my acquaintance have is that when busy typing away the ball of your thumb can rest on the trackpads and cause the cursor to move thus causing chaos with your input.  I touch type, don't need to look at the heyboard and invariably cannot read the screen which causes hilarious and often frustrating consequences.  At home my laptop is permanently connected to a 28 inch screen, a separate keyboard and mouse.   As I am al.ost never going to need to cart it about in the future I'm thinking of replacing it with a desktop box.

Hmmm, laptop for sale ...

Seriously, I want to get it defluffed and install an ssd first but then I might just consider moving it on.  It is rather big though with a 17 inch screen.

« Reply #16 on: 23 March, 2018, 02:14:44 pm »
The OP hasn't really said what they want to use it for, also no mention of how much they want to spend.

Only said a small screen and large hard drive.

Screen size will narrow your choices down a lot, if you want a non-shiny screen your choices will be even less.

The hard drive is easily changed so I wouldn't make that a top priority.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #17 on: 23 March, 2018, 02:33:42 pm »
Have you considered a Chromebook? Dead cheap, and you use your docuemnts on Google Drive.

I don't think Netflix works on them though (I may be wrong)., and I doubt you can lpay movies from a DVD drive.
Printing is weird also - you need a Google cloud printer. It will nto talk to any old printer plugged in via USB.
Otherwise chromebooks are great things - they are bombproof, you just wipe it and get back the configuration if anything goes wrog with it.

Netflix, Amazon Prime Video & iPlayer are all ok on modern chromebooks - you just go to the play store and install the android version.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Blazer

• One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind
« Reply #18 on: 23 March, 2018, 06:54:29 pm »
We brought a Lenovo something from Currys a couple of weeks ago.  £329 and very pleased we are too.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #19 on: 23 March, 2018, 07:00:13 pm »
I've long since given up trying to keep up to date with lapdog tech.

When wives and offsprings need lapdogs, I just send them down to JL and tell them to ask the PFY for advice and then get what they fancy.
I CBA researching it all again.

« Reply #20 on: 23 March, 2018, 07:07:33 pm »
Thank you all. I understood some of that  :)

No mention of budget because it partly depended on whether I needed to buy a new car if the garage couldn't fix Red Ted today, but they could so I should hopefully have a reasonable amount to spend.

At the moment I'm limited in what I can use my laptop for since it isn't connected to a printer and doesn't seem interested in word processing. I use it for all the social stuff and you tube and amazon prime - not iplayer because no licence and not netflix becase I don't have the focus for series and most of them look very loud. I don't do loud.

I need to be able to produce documents and connect to a printer, and I need to be able to have Itunes again - I haven't since the last one had it's screen broken.

It's a good point about trying touch pads and things - I really don't like some of them.

It needs to be a laptop that does the work of a desktop most of the time. At the moment I am typing this from my parents in law's  kitchen table. I want to be able to take it to the other room and take it to village hall meetings with the ALC. This one doesn't get moved because it sulks and refuses to start if you move it, which is extremely inconvenient.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Afasoas

« Reply #21 on: 24 March, 2018, 11:14:06 am »
I don't spend large sums on Laptops.

I'll typically buy a popular mid-range ex-business laptop for £100-£150 from eBay.
Replace the battery
Replace the HDD with an SSD

I like business laptops because they tend to have sturdier chassis and be easier to take apart/put back together, often with panels for easily upgrading or replacing RAM, hard disk drive and Wi-Fi adapters.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 24 March, 2018, 11:22:24 am »
Perhaps people saying you can change the hard drive, memory, etc, are kind of missing the point. That's the kind of stuff you do if you're a techy person, which I don't think Butterfly is (and most people aren't, including me). Buying bikes and changing things on them is fun and doable for me and probably for Butterfly and for you because you're reading this on YACF, but again most people probably wouldn't do it. Better to look at the laptop as an indivisible unit. Unless Butterfly is up for swapping components.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Afasoas

« Reply #23 on: 24 March, 2018, 03:00:50 pm »
And if you are a 'non-techy-person' you ask your 'techy friend' about it and in many cases they agree to help.

Physically swapping the HDD for an SSD on a lot of business orientated laptops is akin to swapping a bar end. It's usually a single panel on the base of the laptop secured by a screw. Unfasten screw, lift panel, extract HDD. Fitting the SSD is the reverse.
Try doing that on a consumer grade laptop. Increasingly parts are soldered on and the cases are glued together.

Installing the operating system with all the appropriate drivers is in most cases more challenging than swapping out the hardware.
And the nice clean install of the operating system means you avoid all that pre-loaded skunkware that manufacturers insist putting on laptops these days.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 24 March, 2018, 03:25:55 pm »
Installing the operating system with all the appropriate drivers is in most cases more challenging than swapping out the hardware.
And the nice clean install of the operating system means you avoid all that pre-loaded skunkware that manufacturers insist putting on laptops these days.

This is the sticky point.  Butterfly describes a current laptop that for some reason "isn't interested in word-processing".  That's clearly not a hardware problem (though it sounds like it has some of those too), and whatever the underlying cause could doubtlessly be resolved by a clean OS install.

But that's the sort of thing that's straightforward (if tedious) for people who do tech stuff, but a massive risk for people without the background knowledge to be reasonably sure that they'll be able to fight off the sharks and end up with some semblance of a working computer in time for $next_important_thing.

Normal often people often fix software problems by buying new computers, and that isn't entirely irrational.  They end up with a better computer, don't lose their existing state, and spend less of their life staring at progress bars.

Not disagreeing that business-oriented laptops are easier[1] to service, though.  For reasons that directly follow from the above.

[1] Although some do tend to fall foul of clean-the-fan issues.