Author Topic: Macbook charger cable - repairable?  (Read 1957 times)

Macbook charger cable - repairable?
« on: 30 April, 2018, 10:20:46 pm »
I see that the plug on my mid 2011 Air will soon part company with the cable. This is the L-shaped Magsafe, 45W charger.

Is it possible to get these plugs rewired on the existing cable? By someone other than myself, that is, for I am not good with the small electrickery. The rest of the cable is in good order so it seems wasteful to do anything more extensive.

I see the Apple replacement for this - the whole adapter and cable - is £79, which seems rather excessive.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Macbook charger cable - repairable?
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2018, 12:35:45 am »
Sympathies! BTDT bought the pricy charger.

Second charger cable is worn but working. I've splinted it with sticky tape and it's OK so far. I think others suggested Sugru when I posted about this in the past.

« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2018, 04:33:20 am »
If it's lasted 7 years that's about 6 more years than I typically get out of them.

Usually they split too close to the plug to be fixable. Which means you need a replacement cable, and as Apple doesn't sell these you end up with some dodgy third party clone. After trying and failing with this route a few times I've resigned myself to a new Apple charger each time.

The cable itself is single core coax, so not the easiest to splice without a big and/or fragile lump.

(The chargers for USB C MacBooks finally have an unpluggable cable, although that's no good for you)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2018, 05:33:16 am »
If it is still working, protect it with Sugru. Whilst I’ve not done this for a MacBook charger, I have a number of lightning cables nattily sleeved with Sugru.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2018, 06:50:35 am »
Ebay has the replacement cables.

They come with the grommet that takes the cable into the charger, so the idea is that you open the charger and solder in the new cable.

I've done that a few times and decided that it's not worth it.

I suggest that you cut both cables and join with a method you are happy with. The cable is coaxial, but only two cores so not too fiddly. You can use solder and heatshrink, connector blocks and insulating tape. I've put the ends into an automotive connector, so that I don't have to disturb the charger end if it happens again, but the choice is yours.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2018, 01:17:32 pm »

They come with the grommet that takes the cable into the charger, so the idea is that you open the charger and solder in the new cable.

I've never tried to open a macbook power supply, but I'm imagining that it involves a spudger, some weird screwdrivers, possibly a dremel and certainly some harsh language?  I can't imagine getting it back together is easy, either.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 01 May, 2018, 02:06:09 pm »
If it's still working, I really think your best option is to splodge it together with something, anything, however inelegant, until the little green light doesn't shine.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 01 May, 2018, 02:15:01 pm »
If it's till working, I really think your best option is to splodge it together with something, anything, however inelegant, until the little green light doesn't shine.

Agreed.

« Reply #8 on: 01 May, 2018, 02:48:10 pm »

I've never tried to open a macbook power supply, but I'm imagining that it involves a spudger, some weird screwdrivers, possibly a dremel and certainly some harsh language?  I can't imagine getting it back together is easy, either.

The approved bodge technique is to use a standard (not needle - nosed) pliers outwards, pulling the handles apart while the nose is in the recess left by the cable clips, that are folded out of the way during the abuse operation.

Opening one up exposes capacitors that may still be at lethal voltages when turned off.

It's not a nice fix and I'm perfectly happy to live with a plug-socket combination part way down the lead. A macbook charger of a certain age will have lost it's shiny surface a long time ago, so keeping things pretty is low down the priorities.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #9 on: 02 May, 2018, 10:18:38 am »
Thanks all. Time to get some fresh sugru. I'll just have to replace the adapter / cable together when the time comes.

https://www.thebookyard.com/parts-macbook-air.php?cPath=256_103_250&sort=2a&filter_id=25

£35 to £45 ish as above seems to be the best option.

« Reply #10 on: 02 May, 2018, 10:49:00 am »

It's very thoroughly welded shut. Spudgers are powerless and the technique I've used on other products of tapping the welds with a hard screwdriver handle doesn't work. Much, much brute force is required, which does nothing for the finish or your ability to get it back together.

I've taken the approach with my latest charger of keeping it on the desk rather than the floor, which I'm hoping will make it last a lot longer.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 02 May, 2018, 12:57:44 pm »

It's very thoroughly welded shut. Spudgers are powerless and the technique I've used on other products of tapping the welds with a hard screwdriver handle doesn't work. Much, much brute force is required, which does nothing for the finish or your ability to get it back together.

As I suspected.  This explains why the a photo I saw recently of $technically_competent_person's Macbook featured a several of cable ties holding the PSU together...