Author Topic: Schwalbe tyre advice please  (Read 1327 times)

Schwalbe tyre advice please
« on: 18 May, 2018, 06:08:54 am »
I fitted a 47-559 Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour to my Challenge Wizard, because I had one to hand, but the clearance to the mudguard is very tight.
I am replacing a Kojak because I would prefer a higher level of puncture protection. I don't need a deep tread because this will be a road only bike. Will a Marathon Plus in the same size have a smaller diameter or would I be better going down a size to a 40-559?
Thanks for any advice.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Schwalbe tyre advice please
« Reply #1 on: 18 May, 2018, 07:55:47 am »
In my view yes - it does seem that Marathons "balloon up" at a greater ratio than the increase in mm size might suggest.

I recently had to change some 32mm for 28mm for a customer with a small clearance (on a 700c Montague folder) and the difference in section was way more than the difference you would have expected from 28 to 32.

Rob

« Reply #2 on: 18 May, 2018, 08:09:49 am »
Consider the Marathon. Supremes, especially the new version with One Star compound, the folding version is only 380g in 32mm. Much nicer to ride on than regular or Plus Marathons, much lighter, easy to get on and off the rim, good rolling resistance (I.e. low), still decent puncture protection, though not up to Marathon Plus level.

I run these in 32mm on my touring bike.
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #3 on: 18 May, 2018, 01:17:32 pm »
In my view yes - it does seem that Marathons "balloon up" at a greater ratio than the increase in mm size might suggest.

I recently had to change some 32mm for 28mm for a customer with a small clearance (on a 700c Montague folder) and the difference in section was way more than the difference you would have expected from 28 to 32.

Rob
Thanks Rob.
Probably best going down a size to 40-559 then

« Reply #4 on: 18 May, 2018, 01:20:48 pm »
Consider the Marathon. Supremes, especially the new version with One Star compound, the folding version is only 380g in 32mm. Much nicer to ride on than regular or Plus Marathons, much lighter, easy to get on and off the rim, good rolling resistance (I.e. low), still decent puncture protection, though not up to Marathon Plus level.

I run these in 32mm on my touring bike.
Thanks for your advice.

« Reply #5 on: 21 May, 2018, 06:56:53 pm »
At the moment I'm running Michelin country dry 2's which are great for hard pack and there fast rolling but I'm starting to venture off the country paths now and need some more grip not looking to spend loads I've pretty much decided based on reviews etc.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2018, 10:30:33 pm »
I replaced a 700 x 47 tyre of random make (Cheng Shin or something) with a M+ of exactly the same nominal size.  The M+ is bigger to the extent that the mudguard barely clears it and I had to replace the mudguard to chainstay bridge bolt.  M+ is taller rather than wider.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 26 May, 2018, 05:57:13 pm »
Thanks all.

I have fitted a 559-40mm Marathon plus and their is lots of clearance now.