Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2167453 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #12250 on: 09 July, 2017, 06:06:43 pm »
To respond to a few of the comments about my toolboard:

13amp sockets - you can't see the block of 3 behind the ultrasonic machine

Air - there is an electric compressor under the rack to the right of the bench with a long curly pipe tyre inflator

Outlining tools - I've made a start doing that . . . I had to paint over one item's outline : the scissors looked like a diagram of the female reproductive system (I'll just have to remember their place on the board!)

Torque wrench is the generic kit that loads of places sell for between about £40 - £60 - mine is from Rose (there is also a Topeak pre-set 5nm with 4-5-6 Allen key inserts - on the shelf just below the scissors)

Did anyone spot the wheel-truing jig on top of the paper roll dispenser? - it's the basic one from Rose.

Using/full strip down service . . . I do my two Ti bikes about twice a year so I'll try and remember to take some snaps.

I must get round to changing the plastic light switch for a metalclad one to match the socket outlet . . . . . . and you haven't see the woodworking bench on the other side of the garage with grinder, polisher, mitre saw and loads of other tools - yet

Rob

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #12251 on: 09 July, 2017, 11:41:17 pm »
After various iterations over the years I have now probably created the cycling tools board that does it all for the foreseeable future . . . currently pondering whether to draw round each tool with a black marker to make sure I can see what's out, and where everything goes  :thumbsup:

The bench mounted workstand is for casual use, there's a more substantial stand for ... err, more substantial work.  The ultra-sonic bath cleaner is behind the vice on the right and the cheapie roasting tin on the bench is for de-greasing stuff.  Note the "toilet roll holder" for the roll of blue wipe paper!

.... there must be better things to do with my time  ::-)

Rob
Utterly delightful.

I imagine you're not overpleased with the cable/wire cutters being situated behind other stuff, but that this is a compromise reached with the space available.

However, I had to look quite hard to find this thing to be critical about. I would sacrifice one of my (less-used) fingers for such an arrangement.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #12252 on: 10 July, 2017, 12:23:12 am »
I imagine you're not overpleased with the cable/wire cutters being situated behind other stuff, but that this is a compromise reached with the space available.

I fear you may have looked a bit too hard for your criticism ...

The cable cutters are easily accessible, just above the socketallen key/ratchet set - red handles.

Behind the grease gun, (presumed) chain lube and GT85 are a wire stripper/crimper and mini bolt cutters, which I imagine are used infrequently enough that the slightly less convenient access isn't a problem.

robgul

« Reply #12253 on: 10 July, 2017, 06:45:47 am »

I fear you may have looked a bit too hard for your criticism ...

The cable cutters are easily accessible, just above the socketallen key/ratchet set - red handles.

Behind the grease gun, (presumed) chain lube and GT85 are a wire stripper/crimper and mini bolt cutters, which I imagine are used infrequently enough that the slightly less convenient access isn't a problem.

Exactly - crimpers used for not much more than cable end-caps and bolt croppers for mudguard stay ends.  Before further comment, the pump pliers, tyre seating pliers and 19, 20, 22, 24mm spanners are seldom used hence being tucked behind the ultrasonic tank.  And yes, the blue canister is a Park Tools grease gun.

Rob

« Reply #12254 on: 10 July, 2017, 07:34:07 am »
One day my workshop will look like that :(

Move Faster and Bake Things

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12255 on: 10 July, 2017, 07:47:41 am »
Asterix that is a work shop, the other picture is just a display case :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12256 on: 10 July, 2017, 07:56:40 am »
Started cleaning up the Ron Cooper components.  Despite some knackered and crappy Jagwire cabling and a totally worn out BB (cartridge type, so not the original), everything else is nearly mint.  I wonder if the original Shimano 600 components were stored and refitted for sale?  Even the rear mech is perfect cosmetically and mechanically despite the bent hanger on the frame.

The wheel rims are unworn (grey anodised) but the spokes were plain gauge and the rear ones were too long, having been screwed beyond their threads on the RHS.  I've taken them apart and ordered DT Competition and DT Revolution to rebuild them.  DT Revs make good front and rear LHS spokes, due to their ability to hold tension through any bump,  but are a pain to build with as they twist so much.

The frame has a race nunber braze-on under the top tube  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Chris N

« Reply #12257 on: 10 July, 2017, 08:05:26 am »
Been having issues with the headset on the Ti bike - the expander bung in the carbon steerer was slipping when tightening the preload bolt and I wasn't able to get the headset tight enough.  A full strip down, grease on all the bits inside and some carbon assembly paste on the outside of the bung sorted that.  Took the opportunity to cut the steerer down to length, so I don't need 20mm of spacers on top of the stem any more.

Replaced the bent driveside dropout plate on the mountain bike, converted it over to SS and fitted new grips (I had to cut the old RH one off to remove the shifter.  Still need to trim the hoses and bleed the brakes.

Also cleaned up the trailer after it had been sitting in the garden for a couple of months.  Took the kids out in it yesterday. ;D

Chris N

« Reply #12258 on: 10 July, 2017, 08:07:59 am »

I can't think of any.  Good effort. :thumbsup:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12259 on: 10 July, 2017, 09:18:28 am »
^^^ makes me realise how inadequately tooled up I am.  My shadow board is very light by comparison.

Fettling for me this weekend - a couple of hooks in the wall to hold spare wheels, and I've finally finished the gym flooring by screwing the top layer of 22mm ply to the bottom layer of chip board.  I now have an 8ft square workout area which I christened on Saturday evening. 

Got out for a ride yesterday, so need to clean biked this evening.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #12260 on: 10 July, 2017, 01:02:07 pm »
The reason I dropped by, mainly for AndyTheFlyer's,  ElyDave's and Ham's (heh heh heh) benefit.  Started on the Sopwith kit yesterday.  Work in Progress.  About 5 hours effort, ignoring "workshop" set up / tear down time.  On that basis I reckon on total effort somewhere in the region of 25 to 30 hours.

Lovely.  I haven't done one of those since I was a teenager, though I don't think I ever did it quite as carefully as you did there!  :thumbsup:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12261 on: 10 July, 2017, 01:17:10 pm »
took some alloy off of zipp bar risers for them to work with deda aero bars.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #12262 on: 10 July, 2017, 01:48:54 pm »
Have sorted out a new building board.  Cork bath mat on a 1/2" laminated pine sheet.  Would have liked something bigger, but this will do for the two kits I have on the shelf as well as the scratch build I have in mind.   The pine sheet is big enough that if I can get a larger and thick enough piece of cork, the mat I bought today is a good 3/8" or more thick, it's almost certainly going to be good enough for anything I'm likely to build.   I could perhaps use two bath mats, but that risks a discontinuity in the flatness of the building surface and all the problems that an out of true build gives rise to.

Sounds good. I also screw a batten, say 2x1, to the edge of my building boards all around the edge, with the batten projecting down, but flush with the top of the board.  That adds stiffness to the board and helps to keep it flat.  I put my board on top of a B&D Workmate with the jaws set as wide as possible.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #12263 on: 10 July, 2017, 01:56:23 pm »
After various iterations over the years I have now probably created the cycling tools board ...

<snip>

Rob
Corrr!  Even MrsLurker says she likes that.

The reason I dropped by, mainly for AndyTheFlyer's,  ElyDave's and Ham's (heh heh heh) benefit.  Started on the Sopwith kit yesterday.  Work in Progress.  About 5 hours effort, ignoring "workshop" set up / tear down time.  On that basis I reckon on total effort somewhere in the region of 25 to 30 hours.

That looks like a good kit - new one to me, very well presented plan, and laser cut parts?  How do you stop the glue sticking to the plan?  Candle wax?  Looking forward to the build!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12264 on: 10 July, 2017, 02:04:25 pm »
I use cling film over the plans to prevent glue sticking.

Love the use of the bits of angle iron to fold the work steady though.  I may adopt that in preference to pining either side, which always marks the wood if you get it tight enough
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

« Reply #12265 on: 10 July, 2017, 10:00:15 pm »
Changed a Shimano cartridge BB on a friend's bike.  10 mins, no trouble at all although it had been in there for 9 years.  If only they were all that easy.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12266 on: 10 July, 2017, 10:32:16 pm »
Lots of bits of tissue out of the filter and crevices of the washing machine.   :(

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #12267 on: 11 July, 2017, 08:15:37 pm »
Quote from: AndyTheFlyer
I put my board on top of a B&D Workmate with the jaws set as wide as possible.

That looks like a good kit - new one to me, very well presented plan, and laser cut parts?  How do you stop the glue sticking to the plan?  Candle wax?  Looking forward to the build
Dining room table.  I have per. from MrsLurker for the aero stuff. The "airfix" stuff is confined to my study (and the winter) becos stinks.  That and my study is where I do paid work and it would be impractical to clear my desk down completely on a regular basis.  The airfix stuff only needs an A3 cutting mat.

Yes - candle wax.  Old school me.  Cheaper than cling film.  And yes laser cut.  I was thinking about this the other day and it occurred to me that at this scale it would be very difficult to make some of the very small parts accurately especially for *ahem* the more mature builder. The ribs would be particularly awkward - you couldn't pin them together to sand to profile without risk of splitting them.

Quote from: ElyDave
Love the use of the bits of angle iron to fold the work steady though.  I may adopt that in preference to pining either side, which always marks the wood if you get it tight enough
It's aluminium edging.  About a fiver or so a yard from DIY warehouses and comes in various sizes from about 5mm upwards. I used to make my own from pine 2mm strip and 1mm basswood, but the right angles on the edging are excellent and you can get dozens of brackets of varying widths from a single strip.

AtF, ED.  Let me know if you want to track this build I'll send you PMs when I post updates to the build diary rather than clutter this thread.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #12268 on: 12 July, 2017, 08:35:23 am »
TL - yes please - always keen to follow a build diary - building is a solitary pastime and it's good to see how someone else solves the problems.  I like the ali angle idea - my models are bigger but larger ali angle would work for me.  Back to back across a component that needs to be held vertical, with a clamp holding it all together.  Simple, but effective.

« Reply #12269 on: 12 July, 2017, 04:29:10 pm »
Some Avid Shorty Ultimate cantis onto the Pompino.
Spendy?
Yes.
Better stopping?
Yes. *Awaits rain*
The real delight was in fitting beautifully engineered / finished components.

Also, replaced the saddle on the Pomp as that was starting to look ragged.
Other than the frame, there are very few parts left on this bike which were there when Thing1 sold it to me, back in 2012.
Trigger's broom stylee :)

robgul

« Reply #12270 on: 14 July, 2017, 09:31:58 pm »
To respond to a few of the comments about my toolboard:

13amp sockets - you can't see the block of 3 behind the ultrasonic machine

Air - there is an electric compressor under the rack to the right of the bench with a long curly pipe tyre inflator

Outlining tools - I've made a start doing that . . . I had to paint over one item's outline : the scissors looked like a diagram of the female reproductive system (I'll just have to remember their place on the board!)

Torque wrench is the generic kit that loads of places sell for between about £40 - £60 - mine is from Rose (there is also a Topeak pre-set 5nm with 4-5-6 Allen key inserts - on the shelf just below the scissors)

Did anyone spot the wheel-truing jig on top of the paper roll dispenser? - it's the basic one from Rose.

Using/full strip down service . . . I do my two Ti bikes about twice a year so I'll try and remember to take some snaps.

I must get round to changing the plastic light switch for a metalclad one to match the socket outlet . . . . . . and you haven't seen the woodworking bench on the other side of the garage with grinder, polisher, mitre saw and loads of other tools - yet

Rob

Metalclad light switch now fitted - and a simple PIR alarm (nothing fancy but it makes a noise!)

Rob

rogerzilla

« Reply #12271 on: 15 July, 2017, 11:19:55 am »
Serviced a couple of Shimano 600 hubs and gave up on the idea of Mafacs for the Holdsworth since ths rear fixing bolt is too short and they are no stiffer than a deep drop (67mm!) dual pivot.  And you can't adjust toe-in.

Also fitted some Cinelli bars into a 3TTT stem using every trick in the book.  The stem is sold as 25.8 or 26.0 and the bars are 26.0.  Tolerances were not in my favour.  It's a hollow steel stem.

« Reply #12272 on: 15 July, 2017, 12:10:46 pm »
I gave up on my 3ttt stem as it scored every set of bars I tried on it, and I quite like having teeth...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #12273 on: 15 July, 2017, 07:12:17 pm »
Built a cargo platform for a Brox

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #12274 on: 15 July, 2017, 10:58:27 pm »
Argos Bunk Beds (children's spec).
Thank God I have a decent socket set. I still ended up dreaming of an electric screwdriver after screwing down what felt like 50 slats.
Everyone's favourite windbreak