Author Topic: PV cells  (Read 1152 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
PV cells
« on: 11 February, 2010, 02:00:54 pm »
Does a solar panel produce as much electricity per hour of direct sunlight when the sun is low in the sky in winter as it does in full summer when the sun is higher?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
Re: PV cells
« Reply #1 on: 11 February, 2010, 02:03:03 pm »
No!
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2010, 02:04:04 pm »
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2010, 06:35:31 pm »
If it did, you'd be sunburnt in December.

The sun is at a sub-optimal angle for the panel AND it's going through more atmosphere to get there (because it's lower).

It's actually closer to the earth in winter, but that makes very little difference compared to tilt.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 15 February, 2010, 03:00:24 pm »
Does a solar panel produce as much electricity per hour of direct sunlight when the sun is low in the sky in winter as it does in full summer when the sun is higher?

Experienced answer; assuming a cloudless day, not a big difference. Yes, the amount of light is reduced, but summer light seems to exceed the panel's absorption anyway.

You do need to place the panel at 90degrees to the sun.

When I used a PV panel as my sole source of power, I mounted it on a wooden A frame so I could turn it to face the sun, and alter the angle of incidence. On the rare cloudless winter day the panel hit it's max output. So in summer I'd get 4.5W from a widish range of angles, winter I'd get 4.5A when at 90degrees.
<i>Marmite slave</i>