Author Topic: Storing things in shed and garage  (Read 820 times)

Storing things in shed and garage
« on: 02 March, 2010, 10:11:20 pm »
I need to store books, CDs, vinyl records, bike parts etc in the shed and garage at the house I'm moving to. Both the garage and shed are unheated, the garage is made from brick and is separate from the house, are there any problems with using them as long term storage?

In particular I'm worried that sub-zero temperatures will damage books from condensation, or damp air during wet weather will make paper adsorb too much moisture. I would prefer to keep them on open shelves rather than in closed boxes.

I think I will eventually have to make the garage into a workshop/hobby room/living room/study as the house is so small.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
Re: Storing things in shed and garage
« Reply #1 on: 02 March, 2010, 10:15:41 pm »
From experience, mouseseses are your enemy!   >:(
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #2 on: 03 March, 2010, 09:04:38 am »
For the books, in fact anything with absorbent material (like CD's and vinyl) I would recommend you get some of those vac-bag thingies that allow you to use a domestic vacuum to evacuate most of the air. Otherwise they will get damp.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 03 March, 2010, 05:35:42 pm »
Chuck some sachets of silica gel in the vac bag prior to sealing and that should absorb any residual moisture and keep your tombs quite happy.
I think that you would have problems storing them on open shelves.
Stropping rocks