Author Topic: Cyclist killed when container falls from lorry  (Read 7378 times)

Cyclist killed when container falls from lorry
« on: 20 August, 2010, 05:40:29 pm »
I have put this here because even though it about a cyclist being crushed to death it is the motorist who seems to have stopped, then driven off.

They would particularly like to speak to the driver of a silver vehicle, believed to be a Ford C Max, who initially stopped at the scene.

Seems quite a shock that someone could witness a serious/fatal incident, then drive off.

Very sad story.

BBC News - Cyclist killed when container falls from lorry in Hull

*Now realise I have put this in the wrong forum, was meant to be in Vroom, if the mods want to move it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Cyclist killed when container falls from lorry
« Reply #1 on: 20 August, 2010, 06:25:18 pm »
While stopping, then driving off may be reprehensible, that driver is responsible for little in this scenario.
Driving a truck with an insecure container is homicidal and should be treated as such.

« Reply #2 on: 20 August, 2010, 06:44:26 pm »
I saw this earlier in the local paper website.

The video shows the empty truck and the container.

Hull woman cyclist Susan Russell, 54, killed in A63 accident

The driver has been arrested and rightly so, looking at this

« Reply #3 on: 20 August, 2010, 06:52:02 pm »
The video shows the empty truck and the container.

Err, what video?  All I can see on that link is a still photo of a car, a tent arrangement covering presumably the accident location, and something which may be the container.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Zoidburg

« Reply #4 on: 20 August, 2010, 06:53:40 pm »
Scroll down.

« Reply #5 on: 20 August, 2010, 06:59:12 pm »
Scroll down.

There's a big blank area, but no video.

Is it possible it only works with certain browsers, and doesn't have any mechanisms to detect when a non-compatible browser is being used (I've got NoScript set to temporarily allow any scripts on this page, I'm still seeing nothing).

« Reply #6 on: 20 August, 2010, 06:59:56 pm »
NoScript?

« Reply #7 on: 20 August, 2010, 07:07:32 pm »
I give in, I can't be arsed to dig through the badly formatted and munged Javascript to work out why the video is utterly blank.  Even the bit which looks like it's written to return something when scripting isn't allowed or supported, seems to return blankness.  It's probably not worth sorting out why some random local newspapers website is written incompetently.

« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2010, 07:09:11 pm »
You are not missing anything. Truck + Portakabin.

« Reply #9 on: 20 August, 2010, 07:11:38 pm »
It's fairly depressing when this sort of event occurs, since it's so easily avoided generally.  Loads like this falling off, often seems to be someone who can't be arsed to secure a load to move it a short way, or who isn't competent to handle the equipment they're using.

Luckily this sort of thing is almost invariably treated very seriously, although that's of no benefit to the deceased. :(

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #10 on: 20 August, 2010, 07:20:09 pm »
NoScript?

An addon for Firefox which stops scripts running, you allow them on a site by site basis. That and adblock will stop most of the crap that sites throw at you.

Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #11 on: 20 August, 2010, 07:38:09 pm »
It is possible that the driver's details were simply not taken at the scene.

When we were involved in a fatal accident - an out of control car narrowly missed us and ploughed into the car behind -  they forgot to get my details. They got my wife's details, as she rang the emergency services. I was busy directing traffic and trying to get the road clear for the fire engine & ambulances to get through. When I finally got to speak to the police they just told me I could go. It wasn't until I enclosed the statement I wrote at the time with my wife's that they realized they needed me as a witness.  ::-)

Let's not read too much into the story.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #12 on: 20 August, 2010, 08:14:28 pm »
I don't think the story says any more than they would like to talk to the driver (and possibly other occupants) of the silver car.  Nothing said suggests that they think it was actually directly involved in the event.  I think it's just a general call for witnesses, and specifically for the occupants of that car.  People sometimes don't think what they saw was important, or think that others will be adequate witnesses, so don't bother leaving details.  I doubt it's much more than that.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #13 on: 21 August, 2010, 07:47:31 am »
I agree with WJ and Tim.

What the article doesn't say is how long the driver of the car was stopped for.  Was it seconds, minutes or longer? The driver of the car may have stopped to check that the police and ambulance had been called and, having been assured that they have, carried on. 

Frankly, having been involved in a number of accident scenes (both as 'first on scene' and as the injured party) the last thing you need is loads of people stopping and giving advice.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #14 on: 21 August, 2010, 08:27:31 am »
However, to introduce some action by the unknown silver car driver to suggest it caused the event that caused the portakabin to be released, may assist the driver of the lorry.  So rather than be surprised by something that is probably a non starter, the police would like to investigate that avenue of enquiry, establish if the silver car was a good witness.
Perhaps they saw it.
Perhaps they saw the standard of riding of the cyclist immediately beforehand, or the driving of the lorry etc.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #15 on: 21 August, 2010, 09:12:59 am »
Saw the video OK. I was less than impressed with the insensitive animated advert in the midle of the piece 'avoid disappointment when out and about'.

« Reply #16 on: 21 August, 2010, 10:54:34 am »
Saw the video OK. I was less than impressed with the insensitive animated advert in the midle of the piece 'avoid disappointment when out and about'.

Thats the Hull Daily Mail for you. Its an awful paper with an awful website

Zoidburg

« Reply #17 on: 21 August, 2010, 01:12:15 pm »
However, to introduce some action by the unknown silver car driver to suggest it caused the event that caused the portakabin to be released, may assist the driver of the lorry.  So rather than be surprised by something that is probably a non starter, the police would like to investigate that avenue of enquiry, establish if the silver car was a good witness.
Perhaps they saw it.
Perhaps they saw the standard of riding of the cyclist immediately beforehand, or the driving of the lorry etc.
An entire shipping container should not just roll off - thats what the portakabin is made from.

The driver left his yard/depot with an unsafe load - silver car or not the driver is one hundred percent in the shit over this one, the buck stops with him.

If it had been cargo strapped down as it should it would have stayed put, it might have rolled the trailer at a push if it where a loaded container - I bet it would have missed the cyclist though.

That drivers going to jail for several years at least.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 21 August, 2010, 01:22:15 pm »

An entire shipping container should not just roll off - thats what the portakabin is made from.

The driver left his yard/depot with an unsafe load - silver car or not the driver is one hundred percent in the shit over this one.

If it had been cargo strapped down as it should it would have stayed put, it might have rolled the trailer at a push if it where a loaded container - I bet it would have missed the cyclist though.

The driver should go to jail but I doubt he'll be locked up more than two years.

I wonder if any associates (dockers, hauliers, shipping companies) will be prosecuted.

Zoidburg

« Reply #19 on: 21 August, 2010, 01:24:10 pm »
I doubt it.

His wagon his fault, he should have checked it before he left the yard/depot/site.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #20 on: 22 August, 2010, 06:22:58 pm »
More likely 3 points and a £60 fine. It was only a goddam cyclist for fecks sake!!  Not a real person. Probably deserved it for not cycling on the pavement!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #22 on: 23 August, 2010, 08:56:34 am »
However, to introduce some action by the unknown silver car driver to suggest it caused the event that caused the portakabin to be released, may assist the driver of the lorry.  So rather than be surprised by something that is probably a non starter, the police would like to investigate that avenue of enquiry, establish if the silver car was a good witness.
Perhaps they saw it.

The driver left his yard/depot with an unsafe load - silver car or not the driver is one hundred percent in the shit over this one, the buck stops with him.

Zoiders,

Where is the evidence that the load was not strapped down?

One of the important aspects of investigating is reviewing all angles and looking for weaknesses and trying to explain the unexplained. 

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #23 on: 23 August, 2010, 12:25:18 pm »
Perhaps they saw it.

Zoiders,

Where is the evidence that the load was not strapped down?

One of the important aspects of investigating is reviewing all angles and looking for weaknesses and trying to explain the unexplained. 

Hey... who needs evidence or facts?  Assumptions are much more fun.

;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #24 on: 23 August, 2010, 12:28:17 pm »

Hey... who needs evidence or facts?  Assumptions are much more fun.

;)

Didn't you mean compulsory?  :demon:  ;) :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche