Author Topic: Bye Lance  (Read 283434 times)

'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Re: Bye Lance
« Reply #2051 on: 12 June, 2015, 06:38:25 pm »
I have been told (I almost said 'accused') that I am extremely single minded about my cycling, and that everything else comes a very distant second.......

I guess that is pretty close to the truth.....

However, I have always stuck to the rules, except perhaps the occasional red light on a deserted country road, where you can hear and see for hundreds of yards, and the motons are all asleep...

However that's not the same as being a sociopath.......
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #2052 on: 12 June, 2015, 10:34:12 pm »

However that's not the same as being a sociopath.......

Or a cyclepath.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2053 on: 23 June, 2015, 07:48:11 pm »
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #2054 on: 23 June, 2015, 08:36:46 pm »
And once again Contador is tainted by his DSs admission of long term doping. 

They're (mostly) still all at it. Very little has changed, it seems to me.

Consumers can win this by refusing to support anyone or anything with a connection to doping.  The problem is they won't.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2055 on: 23 June, 2015, 09:36:29 pm »
The news about Riis's team has taken me completely by surprise, I wasn't expecting it at all.  I'm sure that this honourable man will be proved innocent in the long run - or at least I'm about 60% sure.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2056 on: 02 July, 2015, 02:21:05 pm »
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2057 on: 02 July, 2015, 02:39:19 pm »
'the government's $100 million civil fraud case against the former cyclist'

Ouch, and

'The case originally was filed in 2010 by Armstrong's former teammate, Floyd Landis, who stands to get a cut of the damages as a government whistleblower if the case succeeds.'

ah.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

« Reply #2059 on: 16 February, 2017, 08:57:47 pm »
<Vanilla Ice> Ice, ice Qui Tam, baby... </Vanilla Ice>

Banned cyclist Lance Armstrong has lost his bid to block a $100m (£79m) lawsuit by the US government.

The suit alleges that Armstrong defrauded the government by cheating while riding for the publicly funded US Postal Service team.

It was filed by Armstrong's former team-mate Floyd Landis before being joined by the government in 2013.

A federal judge refused to block the lawsuit on Monday, which clears the way for the case to go to trial.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/38964396
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #2060 on: 16 February, 2017, 09:31:21 pm »
So perhaps the German government will sue Ullrich now... 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2061 on: 16 February, 2017, 09:45:54 pm »
Deutsch Telekom wasn't government owned (although the government does own about 15% of the shares)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2062 on: 11 July, 2017, 11:37:02 am »
According to a report in the Lancet of a Dutch trial, EPO has very limited actual effect; it's more of a mental than physical effect. However, there is debate over whether the trial, conducted on well-trained amateurs, is also applicable to professionals.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2063 on: 11 July, 2017, 01:04:02 pm »
According to a report in the Lancet of a Dutch trial, EPO has very limited actual effect; it's more of a mental than physical effect. However, there is debate over whether the trial, conducted on well-trained amateurs, is also applicable to professionals.
You can see the trial write-up here: http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanhae/article/PIIS2352-3026(17)30105-9/fulltext?elsca1=tlpr
It says that maximal power was improved, but sub maximal power wasn't. And they did some spurious race up Mont Ventoux, which is entirely pointless, and IMO casts a shadow on the whole enterprise. You can find a variety of other criticisms here:  http://www.bicycling.com/news/epo-study-debunked
So I think it's not so much of a debate about whether the trial applies to professionals (it didn't try to do that) as much as whether the trial contains any new information about EPO use for enhancing cycling performance.
Cheers
Duncan

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #2064 on: 11 July, 2017, 07:07:17 pm »
Here's why the epo study may not be the best designed study ever

http://www.velonews.com/2017/07/commentary/commentary-new-epo-study-has-serious-flaws_442870
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #2065 on: 20 July, 2017, 10:44:20 pm »
An Aside....
Is it just me or am I seeing a syringe zoom across top of the screen with every ITV highlights intro after the ads???  ::-)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2066 on: 21 July, 2017, 01:04:58 am »
According to a report in the Lancet

I can imagine having your own medical publication will have helped over the seven years.
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2067 on: 21 July, 2017, 07:32:26 am »
An Aside....
Is it just me or am I seeing a syringe zoom across top of the screen with every ITV highlights intro after the ads???  ::-)

Nah, it's a UNICEF freebie pen.  And so is this one:

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2068 on: 21 July, 2017, 09:53:23 am »
According to a report in the Lancet

I can imagine having your own medical publication will have helped over the seven years.
;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #2071 on: 20 April, 2018, 12:04:17 pm »
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/04/case-closed-lance-armstrong-settles-federal-lawsuit-for-5m/

So drugs do pay, he's done well there

Who - Landis for getting a quarter share of the settlement, plus costs, or Armstrong for having to cough up "only" $5M to the US government when he potentially could have been reamed for twenty times that amount?  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #2072 on: 20 April, 2018, 12:07:45 pm »
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/04/case-closed-lance-armstrong-settles-federal-lawsuit-for-5m/

So drugs do pay, he's done well there

Who - Landis for getting a quarter share of the settlement, plus costs, or Armstrong for having to cough up "only" $5M to the US government when he potentially could have been reamed for twenty times that amount?  ;)

Both, Floyd should be happy, you can get a lot of hydroponic gear for $1.25M  :)

« Reply #2073 on: 20 April, 2018, 12:15:06 pm »
Indeed. ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2074 on: 20 April, 2018, 01:23:28 pm »
Has the occupant of the Awful Office tweeted on the subject yet?  Or pardoned him?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime