Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 256570 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #1425 on: 15 September, 2017, 12:41:14 pm »
Essex are County Champions! It's a bit like old times...

Go Eagles!

I'm not so hot on Ornithology, but I'm pretty sure there are no Eagles in Essex...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #1426 on: 15 September, 2017, 12:45:09 pm »
No bears in Warwickshire, either; or Tigers in Leicestershire, or Hull.... the list goes on!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1427 on: 16 September, 2017, 09:28:53 am »
Actually, it's not a bit like old times. I recall one county championship that Essex won was dependent on the last day between Somerset and Notts - if Notts won they could overtake Essex. Botham had set Notts a very sporting target and then Somerset started taking wickets. Then, Mike Bore came to the wicket.

*googles*

Oh, there's a whole piece about it on Wikipedia!

Bore played an important role in the remarkable climax to the 1984 County Championship, which saw Essex and Nottinghamshire neck and neck at the top of the table. Essex had won their final game against Lancashire in two days, but if Nottinghamshire could beat Somerset the title would belong to Trent Bridge. Nottinghamshire were set 297 in 60 overs by Ian Botham, and needed 36 from the last three overs. The last pair were at the wicket, with one of them being the archetypal non batsman, Bore. Clive Rice and Bore recalled the game in 2006 for Cricinfo.

Rice: If you knew Mike, then believe me, every run he made was an unexpected bonus. I wasn't daring even to watch. No one was allowed to move inside the dressing room. Everyone stayed in their seats as we got closer and closer.

Mike Bore: If it was pitched on the off stump, I thought, I'll hit it straight. If it's on my legs, I'll sweep it.

Remarkably, Bore found the middle of the bat time and again, and when the last over started, another 14 runs were needed. Stephen Booth bowled the first ball of the season's last over and Bore scored a boundary. The second ball went to the ropes again, and the third went for two runs. Nottinghamshire needed four more runs from three balls to complete a remarkable win. Bore blocked the fourth ball and Andy Pick, Nottinghamshire's number 11, walked down the pitch to ask "What did you do that for?" "It wasn't in the right place." Bore replied. The next delivery saw Bore launch a blow towards the stands. The crowd and the entire Nottingham team were on their feet and Bore thought, as soon as he'd hit it, "That's it, we've won". However Somerset's Richard Ollis ran in and caught the ball above his head, just ten feet from the boundary. Nottinghamshire had lost by three runs and Bore's innings had been in vain. As Bore related in an interview with Simon Lister "We were stunned. We got in the car and I don't think we spoke a word until we were well past Gloucester. No matter how many times I lie in bed and replay that ball I never score those four runs".

Being without the Internet, as it was 1984, we were reliant on hourly updates on Radio 2. The final update coincided with the start of the last over so they had live commentary. I almost went into meltdown when I thought that Essex were about to have the title snatched away from them. Now, I think "Oh, Essex are Champions! That's nice!"

I read on that Wiki page that Mike Bore died earlier this year. That has made me rather sad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bore
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1428 on: 16 September, 2017, 11:37:32 pm »
No bears in Warwickshire, either; or Tigers in Leicestershire, or Hull.... the list goes on!

I was near Hull the other day. Wouldn't be so sure . . .  :-\
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1429 on: 20 September, 2017, 10:02:44 am »

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1430 on: 20 September, 2017, 06:30:18 pm »
Essex followed on, but now have a lead. They might still make a game of it...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1431 on: 21 September, 2017, 02:28:11 pm »
Damn! The start at Southampton has been delayed. Essex are 48 ahead, having followed on, with 7 second innings wickets left. On the grounds that batting last is never easy, if Essex can set a target in excess of 150 I reckon they are in with a fighting chance of winning the game.

*looks at forecast*

Hmm - heavy rain until 4pm. I doubt they will get any play today.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1432 on: 22 September, 2017, 11:15:52 am »
It looks as though Essex will lose. Only 94 ahead with 3 wickets left, and all day left to play.

Correction: 2 wickets left.

« Reply #1433 on: 22 September, 2017, 06:53:35 pm »
Well, what an extraordinary result!  Congratulations to Essex.  Have to wonder what the betting patterns were like.....!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1434 on: 23 September, 2017, 04:50:22 pm »
Blimey! Just saw this result - I had given up on it when I went out yesterday.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1435 on: 24 September, 2017, 02:26:10 pm »
Moeen is getting stuck in.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1436 on: 26 September, 2017, 04:22:11 pm »
Essex establish a big first innings lead over Yorks in a low-scoring game. Not at the end of day 2 yet, and Essex have lost two 2nd innings wickets cheaply.

I have a big problem with county cricket these days: I don't know who anyone is! The last time Essex did anything was 25 years ago and everything has changed since then. I don't even know if anyone televises county cricket any more. One-day matches used to get a lot of publicity: B & H and Gillette Cups, as well as the John Player League, were all on BBC, and even the occasional 3-day county match was covered. Now, of course, good quality cameras are everywhere, but finding the matches is quite hard.

Is there anyone on here who follows county cricket any more? Or is it just me that has lost the ability to find out what is going on? Even the Grauniad doesn't seem to have the scorecards published anywhere.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1437 on: 26 September, 2017, 07:04:52 pm »
Essex finish day 2 250 ahead with 8 second innings wickets intact. 2 days left. Declare at tea time tomorrow with a lead of 500 and beat Yorks by 350 runs.

« Reply #1438 on: 27 September, 2017, 02:28:06 am »
Essex establish a big first innings lead over Yorks in a low-scoring game. Not at the end of day 2 yet, and Essex have lost two 2nd innings wickets cheaply.

I have a big problem with county cricket these days: I don't know who anyone is! The last time Essex did anything was 25 years ago and everything has changed since then. I don't even know if anyone televises county cricket any more. One-day matches used to get a lot of publicity: B & H and Gillette Cups, as well as the John Player League, were all on BBC, and even the occasional 3-day county match was covered. Now, of course, good quality cameras are everywhere, but finding the matches is quite hard.

Is there anyone on here who follows county cricket any more? Or is it just me that has lost the ability to find out what is going on? Even the Grauniad doesn't seem to have the scorecards published anywhere.

Yes, P, I follow county cricket - it's the only way to find out what the South Africans and New Zealanders are up to (moving to Lancashire and going to prison, respectively).  Switch TV on (making sure there is enough coal in the furnace), tune in to BBC 1 or 2, bring up text, 340 for cricket, check scores.  You can also check BBCSport on your computer and follow the menus.  There is no paywall.

HTH

Peter

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1439 on: 27 September, 2017, 09:26:46 am »
Yes, I appreciate that county scores can be found, but there was a time when every national daily would carry at least a synopsis of the day's play in each match.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1440 on: 27 September, 2017, 09:27:26 am »
So will be interesting to see how England fare today, with Roy back in the side.

« Reply #1441 on: 27 September, 2017, 10:05:52 am »
England Ashes squad: Joe Root (capt), Alastair Cook, Mark Stoneman, Dawid Malan, Gary Ballance, James Vince, Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Ben Foakes (wk), Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes, Stuart Broad, James Anderson, Jake Ball, Mason Crane, Craig Overton.

Stokes, Woakes and Foakes...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1442 on: 27 September, 2017, 09:23:20 pm »
Bloody hell! I haven't followed cricket for over 20 years - I last watched a day of first class cricket at St. Helen's -  Glamorgan v Essex in Swansea in 1995. Ronny Irani and Nasser Hussein were batting. I don't think Glamorgan play at St. Helens any more - the ground where Garfield Sobers hit his 6 sixes.

Essex have won the championship with 10 wins and 4 draws, the first time ever that they have gone a whole season unbeaten, it seems. Today they rolled Yorks over for 74, their lowest score this century. In the match, only 4 Yorkshiremen reached double figures (the Four Yorkshiremen of the Apocolypse?).

I wish I could say I supported them now. I don't - cricket has absented itself from the list of things I take a keen interest in. My interest this season is the equivalent of my interest, and a lot of other people's on this forum, in Leicester City's Premiership title of last year. I don't know anything about the players. I haven't watched any matches. No doubt next season Essex will disappear into obscurity once again and will probably be relegated from the "First Division" of the County Championship. (How can you have two divisions and both of them be regarded as "first class" matches? That's nonsense.)

I loved the Heath Robinson affair that was Essex Cricket in the 1970s and 1980s. I went to a lot of matches, knew a lot about the players, and in some cases was the "one man sans dog" at the pavilion end. I loved the fact that they had a Travelling Scoreboard - an old furniture van painted matt black and with holes cut in the sides, and towed around the county to the different grounds they used: Chalkwell Park, Southchurch Park, Valentines Park, Castle Park, Leyton, Brentwood. All now deleted from the fixture list.

It's big business now. There are floodlights at Chelmsford and I think they even held an ODI there.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1443 on: 28 September, 2017, 08:48:26 am »
And a masterful reading of the D-L-S system as the rain came in.

« Reply #1444 on: 28 September, 2017, 04:16:58 pm »
Ben Stokes and Alex Hales dropped by England after Bristol incident

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41433110
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1445 on: 28 September, 2017, 05:08:43 pm »
The way I read that, they are not necessarily out of the Ashes:

What the ECB says

"Each remains on full pay pending further ECB investigation and the ongoing police investigation into an incident in Bristol in the early hours of Monday 25 September," said the ECB in a statement.

"Andrew Strauss, director of England Cricket, will today refer the internal disciplinary procedure for these two players to the Cricket Discipline Commission, chaired by Tim O'Gorman.

"These decisions, fully supported by ECB chairman Colin Graves, were made following the release of footage viewed by ECB for the first time on Wednesday."

So the CDC <snigger> gets to decide their (short-term) future. Unless criminal proceedings overtake matters ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1446 on: 17 November, 2017, 08:08:20 am »
So, The Ashes, any views on how the series will turn out, it starts next week.

I don’t think it is going to be one sided, but can’t really call one way or the other.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1447 on: 17 November, 2017, 08:35:51 am »
And meanwhile, the Women's Ashes are slipping away in the first T20.  :o

« Reply #1448 on: 17 November, 2017, 01:17:48 pm »
Looking forward to the Ashes.   England could probably do with Stokes...

« Reply #1449 on: 22 November, 2017, 08:25:55 pm »
England have apparently only won 2 tests at the Gabba since WW2.   Let's see...   :)

Any daily highlights on terrestrial TV/anywhere?  All on BT Sport it seems.  So TMS, and YT pickings then