Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 471326 times)

Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2125 on: 20 September, 2017, 08:32:52 pm »
Is it possible to buy the current edition? I've just joined AUK but not expecting to get the mag until membership kicks in for 2018

I've just checked and we haven't sent a copy of the latest Arrivee to a Mr S Wino.  PM me and I'll see if we've sent it to you under a pseudonym

« Reply #2126 on: 30 November, 2017, 01:01:45 pm »
Arrivée has just arrived. Good spread of articles, including different angles on LEL from riders and volunteers perspectives. I'm sure one article in particular will cause a bit of debate.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2127 on: 30 November, 2017, 01:18:55 pm »
Bugger, I'm away tonight in Leeds and left before the post.  I'm missing out on some bedtime reading  >:(

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
« Reply #2128 on: 30 November, 2017, 01:19:22 pm »
I'm sure one article in particular will cause a bit of debate.
The front cover of this edition seems to put across AUK's response to any debate.

Another great looking magazine, especially more LEL features....It's always much more enjoyable reading printed reports than onscreen articles. 

« Reply #2129 on: 30 November, 2017, 01:47:06 pm »
Intrigued. But also away from home...

« Reply #2130 on: 30 November, 2017, 02:17:56 pm »
Helmets. One of my friends has already stated he will disobey if it became law, even though he bought one to wear in a country where it is law, crashed, and ended up in hospital!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2131 on: 30 November, 2017, 04:18:24 pm »
Bugger, I'm away tonight in Leeds and left before the post.  I'm missing out on some bedtime reading  >:(

Best photos of baggy lycra ever!  ;)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2132 on: 30 November, 2017, 04:42:14 pm »
Not received mine yet, in Outer Londonton.

Will have to wait...

KM

« Reply #2133 on: 30 November, 2017, 05:25:51 pm »
Arrivée has just arrived. Good spread of articles, including different angles on LEL from riders and volunteers perspectives. I'm sure one article in particular will cause a bit of debate.

Aye. I know it’s a matter of personal conscience, but speaking personally I would urge every cyclist to carry a spare gear hanger ;)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2134 on: 30 November, 2017, 05:30:37 pm »

Aye. I know it’s a matter of personal conscience, but speaking personally I would urge every cyclist to carry a spare gear hanger ;)
Whilst respecting your choice, I am completely against compulsion in this matter.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2135 on: 30 November, 2017, 06:02:05 pm »
pg  55.  A photo of a broken helmet, with the caption:

"the remains of Mary's helmet that saved her from serious injury"

mattc......how dare they not listen to you?!?!

« Reply #2136 on: 30 November, 2017, 09:48:49 pm »
pg  55.  A photo of a broken helmet, with the caption:

"the remains of Mary's helmet that saved her from serious injury"
Eurgh.

EDIT - I read the first sentence and can only assume it's someone taking the piss.

« Reply #2137 on: 01 December, 2017, 07:51:05 am »
I think that the key thing people need to realise is that by wearing a helmet I could take the brunt of the impact with my head, thus preventing any serious injury to my bike
Audax Ecosse - always going too far

« Reply #2138 on: 01 December, 2017, 08:17:24 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2139 on: 01 December, 2017, 08:32:06 am »

Hangers break due to a crash... but anything can break due to a crash... why not carrying a spare set of forks then?

Hangers also break due to poor use of the shifters... to which there is no cure, only prevention. I find that those among us who began cycling in the era of downtube shifters seem to be able to avoid smashing their drivetrains every time the gradient goes up. I think it's something to do with not being able to shift with DTs while standing on the pedals and therefore having to do it before the road gets steep, whereas those who began cycling recently, seem to think you can shift gears at any time, under any load

« Reply #2140 on: 01 December, 2017, 08:42:27 am »
I really think giving that helmet article the degree of prominence it has was a serious error of judgement. I'm not saying that helmet issues aren't a valid discussion point, but that article was the wrong one.
In order to write a good 'opposing view' you'd have to write an anti-helmet article - most aren't 'anti-helmet' they are 'anti-compulsion'. In order to take the article to task point by point then it would be a case of trading anecdotes - which becomes personal, and that's not what Audax or Arrivee is about.
I seriously hope the editor has got a Right of Reply article already lined up, but either way, it can't address the original mistake.
(I'm not trying to stray into 'Lift the Lid' territory - I'm writing about the advisability of that article)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #2141 on: 01 December, 2017, 08:51:13 am »
I really think giving that helmet article the degree of prominence it has was a serious error of judgement. I'm not saying that helmet issues aren't a valid discussion point, but that article was the wrong one.
In order to write a good 'opposing view' you'd have to write an anti-helmet article - most aren't 'anti-helmet' they are 'anti-compulsion'. In order to take the article to task point by point then it would be a case of trading anecdotes - which becomes personal, and that's not what Audax or Arrivee is about.
I seriously hope the editor has got a Right of Reply article already lined up, but either way, it can't address the original mistake.
(I'm not trying to stray into 'Lift the Lid' territory - I'm writing about the advisability of that article)
Agreed.

This article has really fucked me off like. Not sure I want to be associated with such wank.

« Reply #2142 on: 01 December, 2017, 08:59:48 am »
I'm all for spicing up Arrivée.

If it was down to me there'd be a Readers' Wives section, and of course a Reader's Husbands, Partners, Boyfriends, Girlfriends and Gender-Fluids section because I'm inclusive and tolerant.

« Reply #2143 on: 01 December, 2017, 09:08:38 am »
Oh dear.

I haven't got my copy of Arrivee yet so I don't know how my article was presented.

I just wrote a "wot I done on my audax" article which happened to involve a crash at the end and I submitted the picture of my helmet because I thought it would be interesting. It wasn't intended to be a pro-helmet article where n=1

For the record I am anti- compulsion too.

I'll wait to get my copy before commenting further

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #2144 on: 01 December, 2017, 09:12:21 am »

I've had a mech hanger fail only once in my life. This occurred when a carrier bag got jammed in the rear mech. When it failed it took with it the rear mech and the right side seat stay. Carrying a spare hanger seems a tad pointless in this situation.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
« Reply #2145 on: 01 December, 2017, 09:27:58 am »
Oh dear.

I haven't got my copy of Arrivee yet so I don't know how my article was presented.

I just wrote a "wot I done on my audax" article which happened to involve a crash at the end and I submitted the picture of my helmet because I thought it would be interesting. It wasn't intended to be a pro-helmet article where n=1

It's not your article that people are getting steamed up about, yours is a brilliant, really well written account.

There's another feature discussing the merits of helmets and questioning AUK's "promotion" of not wearing one, referring to the front cover of the previous edition....which personally I think is a load of tosh !!*

*not the cover picture, that's a stunning photo....but the suggestion that Arrivee should ban all pictures containing anyone riding a bike without a helmet.
IMO, that'd be the start of the slippery slope towards compulsory wearing at all events, probably soon to be followed by wearing Hi-Viz etc.

« Reply #2146 on: 01 December, 2017, 09:36:12 am »
Thank you  :)

« Reply #2147 on: 01 December, 2017, 09:45:20 am »
Oh dear.

It's not your article that's the issue.

I find it disappointing that a club magazine gives such prominence to an article that seeks to exclude part of the membership from the pages of the magazine. It's a slippery slope.

I'm not saying that helmet issues aren't a valid discussion point

Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but I also note lots of pictures of bikes on LEL that don't meet the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations*. Is arrivee and AUK condoning this flagrant breach of the law by using such photo's? I look forward to that discussion.

Agreed.

This article has really fucked me off like. Not sure I want to be associated with such wank.

I did ask myself the question if it had landed on the doormat a week earlier, would I have renewed my membership?  :-\

*Unless of course all those riders are fitting their pedal reflectors every evening and removing them in the morning.

X-post with BeMoreMike

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2148 on: 01 December, 2017, 10:21:08 am »
*not the cover picture, that's a stunning photo....but the suggestion that Arrivee should ban all pictures containing anyone riding a bike without a helmet.
IMO, that'd be the start of the slippery slope towards compulsory wearing at all events, probably soon to be followed by wearing Hi-Viz etc.

I've not seen the new issue yet so can't comment on the article specifically, but on the point of pictures depicting riders without helmets, I have noted that the vast majority of pictures submitted for inclusion these days are of helmeted riders. Personally, I have no interest in making helmet wearing in pictures an editorial policy of Arrivée and would resist that as far as it is in my power, but it needs more non-helmeted riders to submit pictures to ensure it doesn't become a de facto position.

Perhaps there ought to be a disclaimer in the mag to state that views expressed in articles are not necessarily the views of the editor or of the organisation.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2149 on: 01 December, 2017, 10:24:12 am »
I seriously hope the editor has got a Right of Reply article already lined up...

Feel free to submit a response.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."