Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 475583 times)

Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2100 on: 11 September, 2017, 12:06:39 pm »
Chapeau to Ged!  It's a slick and attractive read!

One tiny point... I had virtually nothing to do with the organisation of LEL- I got involved late in the day and as well as trying to get a bit of media attention (largely badly) I was a underling in the kitchens at St Ives.

But, in other news, I love the Texan tale!!!

« Reply #2101 on: 11 September, 2017, 12:39:33 pm »
Beware the new-style Arrivée. The centrefold picture is horrific...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2102 on: 11 September, 2017, 01:00:49 pm »
Is that Oscar's Dad on p55?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2103 on: 11 September, 2017, 01:29:36 pm »

That is indeed Oscar's Dad, bright and breezy in the ACME top.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2104 on: 11 September, 2017, 04:17:22 pm »
Awivée having trouble with its r's  ;D
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #2105 on: 11 September, 2017, 04:28:10 pm »
Not just its R's ..  sadly has some bloke called Fortis doing the finance for LEL .. you would have thought that given I have done it twice .. the proof reader would have got it right
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2106 on: 11 September, 2017, 06:10:00 pm »
I bet Ritchie T(r)out will be delighted  ;D

Love the new cover graphic, brings it into the 21st century

« Reply #2107 on: 11 September, 2017, 08:17:30 pm »
Great looking edition.  ;D

« Reply #2108 on: 11 September, 2017, 09:24:57 pm »
Lots of Big Rides in this one, I wonder if we need to make sure that some bloggers submit more rides? There are a good few of us that blog regularly... and it's still a nice thing to get Arrive and see something you have written in it and that it will stay in the record of the organisation....

Thanks for the suggestion which prompted me to submit the BCM article that appeared in this issue. 

I echo the comments by others that the new design is great and thanks to those who put the work in.   

Oh dear.  It was correct in the draft.  Put the blame on automatic spellchecks.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2109 on: 11 September, 2017, 09:34:14 pm »
Lots of Big Rides in this one, I wonder if we need to make sure that some bloggers submit more rides? There are a good few of us that blog regularly... and it's still a nice thing to get Arrive and see something you have written in it and that it will stay in the record of the organisation....

Thanks for the suggestion which prompted me to submit the BCM article that appeared in this issue. 

I echo the comments by others that the new design is great and thanks to those who put the work in.   

Oh dear.  It was correct in the draft.  Put the blame on automatic spellchecks.

Good article, I read it with interest as I am doing the BCM next year for the first time... interestingly 2 weeks after a 400, just like you, possibly the same LWL 400?

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #2110 on: 12 September, 2017, 08:24:26 am »
Even my wife said "ooooh, a change of font, looking nice" as she looked over my shoulder.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #2111 on: 12 September, 2017, 10:17:11 am »

Good article, I read it with interest as I am doing the BCM next year for the first time... interestingly 2 weeks after a 400, just like you, possibly the same LWL 400?

Correct - we did have some doubts about a first 600 a fortnight after only our second 400.  However there was a certain attraction in pairing a ride from (near) home to Chepstow with another from Chepstow to North Wales.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2112 on: 12 September, 2017, 10:50:26 am »
I've just received my copy and it's really excellent, well done guys  :thumbsup:

paul851

« Reply #2113 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:04:50 am »
An even better magazine than usual which must have been very hard to pull off , well done all  :thumbsup: plus I see AUK is now going to be a CTT affiliated club so no need for me to join a local club if I fancy doing TT's   8)

Paul

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2114 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:13:51 am »

Correct - we did have some doubts about a first 600 a fortnight after only our second 400.  However there was a certain attraction in pairing a ride from (near) home to Chepstow with another from Chepstow to North Wales.

It's the same reason that attracted me to pair the two rides :-)

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2115 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:15:10 am »
An even better magazine than usual which must have been very hard to pull off , well done all  :thumbsup: plus I see AUK is now going to be a CTT affiliated club so no need for me to join a local club if I fancy doing TT's   8)

Paul

I don't think it is cast in stone yet... probably more news at the AGM... but definitively good news and it might boost membership, seeing it is cheaper than joining a club and you get a lot more for the money

« Reply #2116 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:17:50 am »
I think the new look magazine is fantastic. I'm sure there are things they will want to change further, but I am right behind them trying out new styles and ideas.

Well done! Douze points! 10/10! etc

« Reply #2117 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:28:28 am »
New look is very, very professional - well done to the team, and look forward to seeing it evolve.
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it)

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2118 on: 12 September, 2017, 12:28:39 pm »
New look is very, very professional - well done to the team, and look forward to seeing it evolve.

Good to see you here... I built you a set of wheels a few years back... 2012 I think... in Richmond, remember? I still have your LEJOG book  :-)

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
« Reply #2119 on: 20 September, 2017, 10:45:40 am »
What a brilliant magazine, I've just finished reading it. It's only my third edition and a massive  :thumbsup: up the new shiny format.

I especially enjoyed Peter Lewis's "nerd's approach to LEL"....i'm the one with the broken derailleur on day 1. You've really helped me make sense of where i lost all my time on day 2; while you thought leaving Pocklington at 06:30 was too late, i was still there at 09:30 speaking to bike shops in York, Darlington, Carlisle...i even considered going back to Hull !!
I've scanned plenty of other peoples blogs on LEL, but reading all of your report has made me slightly envious of what i missed (i packed southbound in Alston), but even more determined to have another go in 2021.
Cheers.
Ben. 

« Reply #2120 on: 20 September, 2017, 12:07:50 pm »
Is it possible to buy the current edition? I've just joined AUK but not expecting to get the mag until membership kicks in for 2018

« Reply #2121 on: 20 September, 2017, 12:16:50 pm »
Is it possible to buy the current edition? I've just joined AUK but not expecting to get the mag until membership kicks in for 2018
When I joined they sent me a copy of the latest arrivee with my membership. I joined round this time last year so you should get one.

« Reply #2122 on: 20 September, 2017, 01:10:43 pm »
Your membership runs from now until the end of 2018 - if you join at this time of year we chuck in the remaining months ...

As stevie says, AFAIK you should get a copy of the current Arrivee once your details find their way to the top of the membership team's pile.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2123 on: 20 September, 2017, 02:18:11 pm »

That is indeed Oscar's Dad, bright and breezy in the ACME top.

:thumbsup:

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2124 on: 20 September, 2017, 02:24:54 pm »
Beware the new-style Arrivée. The centrefold picture is horrific...

White tyres... what were you thinking?  ;D ;D