Author Topic: Peculier Old 200 - route checking for a new calendar event  (Read 18871 times)

Re: Peculier Old 200 - route checking for a new calendar event
« Reply #50 on: 27 October, 2016, 10:12:52 am »
I was hoping that wearing aforementioned OP jersey might get me a free pint at the White Bear.

« Reply #51 on: 28 October, 2016, 04:48:32 pm »
I'm in need of a favour, if possible. I'd like to borrow a track pump in the morning before the off. I'll be at Maccy Ds in good time - red jacket and short ginger hair.

Thanks
Martin

« Reply #52 on: 28 October, 2016, 04:54:05 pm »
I was going to fetch one anyways. See you there!

« Reply #53 on: 28 October, 2016, 05:24:13 pm »
Brill. Thanks!!

Chris S

« Reply #54 on: 28 October, 2016, 06:24:07 pm »
I'm in need of a favour, if possible. I'd like to borrow a track pump in the morning before the off. I'll be at Maccy Ds in good time - red jacket and short ginger hair.

If Deano is busy, look out for us - Silver Vito van, me on a Cannondale Cross, fboab on a Giant Liv; we've always got one in the van.

« Reply #55 on: 28 October, 2016, 08:32:10 pm »
Chris, that's great. Thx

« Reply #56 on: 28 October, 2016, 11:11:31 pm »
I was hoping that wearing aforementioned OP jersey might get me a free pint at the White Bear.

Wait, you have one already?! You can try to blag a free beer, and the staff at the White Bear are lovely, so who knows.

Martin, I'll just leave my track pump outside - yellow Joe Blow. Help yourself when you arrive.

« Reply #57 on: 29 October, 2016, 08:26:02 am »
66 riders just set off. Not counting one late arrival and one very early DNF. Looks a decent day for it, too.

« Reply #58 on: 29 October, 2016, 10:50:01 am »
Hope it all goes well.  I would have liked to have been there but it is the Kendal wool-fussing today and my services are required.  Was in Middleton-in-Teesdale on Monday, very nice.

« Reply #59 on: 29 October, 2016, 12:09:01 pm »
Good luck all. Wish I had been there.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #60 on: 29 October, 2016, 12:19:27 pm »
Particularly, good luck to Peter (OTP) and Trev (NOTP). Trev cos he's not done this before and Peter because he has but never on an unfamiliar bike.*

*And I promise to get the Harry Hall working again ASAP
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Chris S

« Reply #61 on: 29 October, 2016, 08:26:18 pm »
Cracking day out!

Top work, Deano. This one's a keeper :).

« Reply #62 on: 29 October, 2016, 09:30:33 pm »
Was looking forward to this one but had a week of a stinker of a cold, not done anything all week. Apologies for not notifying you Dean.
John

« Reply #63 on: 29 October, 2016, 10:35:38 pm »
Nae bother, John - but it's a shame you couldn't make it, as I reckon it was a success, on the whole.

Same time next year?

« Reply #64 on: 30 October, 2016, 08:30:51 am »
Lovely day out, the route had some spectacular sections with the autumn colours on the moors and trees.  My favourites were the views from the the minor road along the ridge and climbs between Etherley and Woodland; and a stretch from Barnard Castle to Whorlton where the road was lined with mature tress with leaves in various shades.

Didn't feel so great in the last ten miles but got round OK - would definitely recommend this if it is on again next year.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #65 on: 30 October, 2016, 08:37:33 am »
I really enjoyed the day out, it was a cracking route with pretty much something for everyone.

10/10 Would ride again!
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Chris S

« Reply #66 on: 30 October, 2016, 05:34:30 pm »
10/10 Would ride again!

Sums it up for me  :thumbsup:.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #67 on: 30 October, 2016, 06:18:07 pm »
Absolutely.  The route is excellent: roads allow you to go somewhere but without being marred by nasty traffic.  Pleasant countryside, scenic without being overly 'scenic'.  A nice loop that brushes the Dales and takes you across the top of the Vale of York, so you feel like you're actually travelling.  All topped off with some nice pubs and lots of free buns and flapjack from the helpers  :thumbsup:

Keep it up Dean, I think this is the new standard season closer.

Chris S

« Reply #68 on: 30 October, 2016, 06:30:42 pm »
I can't help feeling this would be a very different ride on a properly Autumnal day; we had it easy because the Weather Machine is currently switched off.

« Reply #69 on: 30 October, 2016, 06:34:29 pm »
I think you could say that about most rides but certainly the crossing to Middleton in Teesdale would be a test in bad weather.  But now as hard as say the Red Rose Ride, almst every year.  All day I was thinking, "This could be a National 200!"  Well, perhaps not all day....

« Reply #70 on: 30 October, 2016, 10:00:28 pm »
That was well worth the trip from London. It was a lovely route in great weather with lovely controls. I particularly liked the campervan control.

Thanks to:
Deano for the effort involved in updating an old route with personal relevance, and allowing us experience it...and for providing access to a track pump.
Graham for his ride report which really sold it to me, as well as his statement that Darlington is so accessibe from London.
Controllers and volunteers without whom we wouldn't have been so well looked after.
Paul (NOTP) for the chat and company into Masham and on to Darlington.

I rode around Nth Pennines on Thursday when the wind was 20-30 kph westerly. It was a relief we didn't have this weather yesterday.

Thanks!

« Reply #71 on: 31 October, 2016, 12:00:38 am »
Ah, thanks, everyone! The weather was excellent, but it's been a good weekend the last few years - I rode a 400 on the same weekend last year, including a bus shelter kip where I didn't need my bivvy bag, and there have been umpteen night rides to Whitby with mild weather and no frost. I promise to arrange ice, perma-headwinds and (if possible) snow, just to make up for it next year.

Right, onto the photos. They're all here, highlights and forumites below.

Socks:

Aidan:

Yorkie:

madcow:

mcshroom and a couple of others finishing:

I think one of these is nolongertries - but I'm not sure which, or if it's neither (apologies to Martin and J.Random Other Rider):

Oggy (he's in there somewhere):

« Reply #72 on: 31 October, 2016, 10:11:17 am »
And the one that got away. I'll be round this week to get you to sign your card, Chris.

Chris S

« Reply #73 on: 31 October, 2016, 12:56:55 pm »
And the one that got away. I'll be round this week to get you to sign your card, Chris.

:facepalm:

« Reply #74 on: 31 October, 2016, 05:51:14 pm »
I think one of these is nolongertries - but I'm not sure which, or if it's neither (apologies to Martin and J.Random Other Rider):

Yep, this one is this one! Thanks.