Author Topic: What goes through a rider's mind in a 4 hour stage race;  (Read 1990 times)

gonzo

What goes through a rider's mind in a 4 hour stage race;
« on: 20 May, 2008, 03:29:30 pm »
Entertaining article in a train of thought style describing what the average pro does to keep himself entertained during stage races.

link

Re: What goes through a rider's mind in a 4 hour stage race;
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2008, 07:59:24 pm »
At least one key area missing - the opposite sex - after every stage you hear about who saw such and such a girl and where.

A "well known pro" once screamed into the pits in a crit, just to send the mechanic off to secure a date from a young woman watching - it worked as well!

Cars also feature quite a lot in my experience as well, most pros seem to read car mags rather than cycling ones -  lots of lusting after after desirable ones.

On a stage race there is usually lots of time for banter and fun before the battle starts - especially in Italy.

It's not unusual for a rider to come back to the team car just to relay a joke they have just heard (maybe they use the radios now; my experience is pre-radio)

gonzo

« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2008, 11:04:25 am »
A "well known pro" once screamed into the pits in a crit, just to send the mechanic off to secure a date from a young woman watching - it worked as well!
I watched them go past at the tour of britain a couple of years back and I was stading next to the Foska girl. About 50% of the pack was looking in her direction!

It's not unusual for a rider to come back to the team car just to relay a joke they have just heard (maybe they use the radios now; my experience is pre-radio)
;D

How do you know all this? Are you an ex-pro?

« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2008, 04:39:49 pm »
No, but I worked for pro teams for several years.