Author Topic: Music you can’t stand  (Read 5998 times)

Re: Music you can’t stand
« Reply #25 on: 28 November, 2021, 08:57:04 pm »
Yeah, I've heard some hip hop that I hated 20 years ago that I now love.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #26 on: 28 November, 2021, 10:54:23 pm »
Sorry, I don't think there's a single genre of music I won't listen to. Some of them, I can have enough of quite quickly, and individual examples can be dire, but my tastes and appreciation has broadened over the years. I even quite like Opera, but I couldn't eat a whole one.

This. And sometimes music I disliked when I first heard it can come to be appreciated.

The history of popular music is littered with people who've had this experience with Trout Mask Replica ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #27 on: 29 November, 2021, 09:32:14 am »
How did I forget about jazz? Shiver.

And opera, why, for god's sake, why?

Generally, I'm fairly laid back about music, I don't need to make a statement and don't care what anyone else thinks of my selection. I am drawing a firm line at Christian country and western. You thought Christian rock was bad. Trust me, there is bad and there is bad.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #28 on: 29 November, 2021, 09:37:39 am »
Not keen on much opera, I particularly can't abide opera sopranos that ululate.  Listen to proper choral singers such as The Sixteen, their sopranos don't do that, they keep a steady pure note.

As for those who don't like "classical music" that's one hell of a generalisation, there are probably far more genres within classical music than any contemporary music.  I like early choral music, most organ works, but with a particular interest in Cesar Franck, but find much mainstream orchestral music uninteresting, with a few exceptions.

Country  :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: with the exception of Donnalou Stevens "Older Ladies" and Emmylou Harris singing "Here, there and everywhere" but that last is probably just down to it being made at a particular time in my life.

Also, as said before, anything on Radio 1.
As before, post Peter Green Fleetwood Mac, just slop, whereas Peter Green era, fabulous.
Wombat

« Reply #29 on: 29 November, 2021, 10:03:48 am »

Almost all "classical" music, the stuff you hear if you randomly turn on Radio 3.
Then you'll hate this (film score)...9 Favorite Film Scores of Dimitri Tiomkin - Film Score Click Track
Track no #9

« Reply #30 on: 29 November, 2021, 10:22:06 am »

Almost all "classical" music, the stuff you hear if you randomly turn on Radio 3.
Then you'll hate this (film score)...9 Favorite Film Scores of Dimitri Tiomkin - Film Score Click Track
Track no #9

I did say "almost".

I actually do like some classical music, mainly violin and cello concertos, solo music for violin, cello.

Most orchestral music I find boring. At work, sometimes Radio 3 is playing, typically it's plinketty ploppetty music*, one time I turn it off saying "what an awful racket!!".

And I don't count film music as classical music.

*I don't mean "modern" classical music, eg Schoenberg etc, but Mozart etc.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #31 on: 29 November, 2021, 10:25:33 am »

Where does alt-country fit in, that’s what I would like to know.  The Handsome Family are æxcellent.

« Reply #32 on: 29 November, 2021, 10:40:58 am »
...undemanding and inoffensive...

Would have me screaming for silence.  The aural equivalent of the test card.

Who let the dogs out

Indeed.

ian

« Reply #33 on: 29 November, 2021, 11:01:47 am »
Actually, I was just reading about those people trapped in a snowbound pub in Yorkshire.

With an Oasis tribute band.

Oh, the horror, the horror.

Oasis, music for people who aspire to be estate agents.

« Reply #34 on: 29 November, 2021, 01:42:09 pm »
I used to dream of being trapped in a snowbound pub in Yorkshire (as long as the house band*was there)

* Back Door.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #35 on: 29 November, 2021, 02:51:36 pm »
Actually, I was just reading about those people trapped in a snowbound pub in Yorkshire.

With an Oasis tribute band.

Oh, the horror, the horror.

Oasis, music for people who aspire to be estate agents.
Oasis, Beatles revival with a Manc attitude.  Not pushing the boundaries.  Plus they freely admit the lyrics are meaningless.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #36 on: 29 November, 2021, 04:25:40 pm »
Plus they freely admit the lyrics are meaningless.

Can't say I can make much sense out of some of Bowies lyrics. Doesn't stop me liking the songs tho.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #37 on: 29 November, 2021, 04:33:27 pm »

Can't say I can make much sense out of some of Bowies lyrics. Doesn't stop me liking the songs tho.

Similarly, about 50% of REM lyrics are random[1] words mashed together because it sounds good, but at least they're honest about it.  (Not that it really matters, as you couldn't even hear the lyrics for the first 5 albums.)

[1] The other half being words linked by some (often extremely opaque) theme mashed together because it sounds good.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #38 on: 29 November, 2021, 05:22:01 pm »

That was Bowie's MO tho, he used to chop words out of paper and move them around a bit.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #39 on: 29 November, 2021, 05:29:54 pm »
I used to dream of being trapped in a snowbound pub in Yorkshire (as long as the house band*was there)

* Back Door.

The Lion, Blakey Ridge - I claim my five pounds!

« Reply #40 on: 29 November, 2021, 05:41:33 pm »
There's a curious corollary to this, that is, the modern equivalent of wallpaper lift music - the YouTube clickbait that sounds great on first listening, but often because of who or where they are, rather than the music. The music is always covers, with some kind of visual schtick. The performer may be talented, sometimes extraordinarily so, but their listenability often degrades rather quickly. where they are young (eg Allie Sherlock, Emily Linge, Karolina Protsenko) you can see that they are fantastically talented and may well mature into something rather good, but he older versions (eg Daniele Vitale) just seem to be adequate session musicians at best. Good luck to them, an' all, and in the spirit of this thread I confess I do click on them sometimes.

« Reply #41 on: 29 November, 2021, 05:42:52 pm »

* Back Door.

Yes, that's the bunny.

A cracking pub and great music.

sprogs

• from your big sister, Steve.
« Reply #42 on: 29 November, 2021, 05:46:16 pm »
Any music where the player refers to his/her violin as a "Fiddle".
Yes, I know the violin is a type of fiddle but I don't care. It's MY "Bee" in MY "Bonnet" .
Also, whilst were on the subject, any music played on a Violin.
When I was a child in the 1950's every Sunday my father would have relentless nasal pause-less classical violin torture whining out of the wireless from dawn to dusk even when trying to eat until I would run out of the house and as far away as possible and hope he and the wireless had died while I was gone.
They never had.

« Reply #43 on: 29 November, 2021, 05:51:20 pm »
Meanwhile, back at the thread, I agree with Ham; I dislike/like music of all kinds,

However, there's a special place in Hell*for the perpetrators of the aural filth that's on shop pa's at present.

* I propose to bypass the Larrington Camps and have a fast track direct entry system.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #44 on: 29 November, 2021, 06:32:41 pm »
One cannot just unilaterally diss the wiolin, as that would mean life without The Balfa Brothers.  Which quite simply Will Not Do.

Edit: Not to mention Scarlet Rivera on His Bobness' Desire album.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #45 on: 29 November, 2021, 06:39:16 pm »

* Back Door.

Yes, that's the bunny.

Indeed a great pub. That fate befell some friends of mine. The lucky bastards.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #46 on: 29 November, 2021, 06:48:19 pm »
And, on the theme of bagpipes, I remembered the Billy Connolly description of a bagpipe "Like an octopus with diarrhoea" and I have found it for you. I think I heard him tell this at the Rainbow in around '75.

« Reply #47 on: 29 November, 2021, 06:53:10 pm »

* Back Door.

Yes, that's the bunny.

Indeed a great pub. That fate befell some friends of mine. The lucky bastards.

The lucky,lucky bastards.

The best we ever managed was Tony Hicks saying to my Dad "There's no closingbtime up here... we close when we are ready".

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #48 on: 29 November, 2021, 07:31:20 pm »
and I've had Strong Feelings about bagpipes since I was about 6 months old.

I used to come home from work, open the front door and hear Scotland the Brave blasting out, turn round and go and sit in my car for a bit.

Shakes Head
Mutters Sassenachs
Shakes Head again and wanders off
Returns to make a statement

There's bagpipe music, and people imitating the strangling of cats through the Bagpipe medium.

Wanders off again

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #49 on: 29 November, 2021, 08:14:41 pm »
I forgot to mention his Bobness, great songwrite, should have left the singing to others

Opera, I like some
Jazz, I like some (Louis Armstrong, or would you call him Blues?)
Country - I like some

I'd say it's more a performer that turns me off rather than a genre.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens