Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469399 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #3675 on: 09 November, 2021, 11:26:15 pm »
Ouch!

I hope it keeps working and it's not too painful now.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3676 on: 10 November, 2021, 08:25:39 am »
So they take out a whole pile of nerve then?
Yes. You lose the pain but there's a high chance of continued local numbness. Also has a fairly poor success rate, apparently a significant minority (8%?) grow back. I have it in the other foot too, but nowhere near as frequently/severely.
For me it's been debilitating enough to be worth the risks.
Apart from cyclists, it's also common for folks who do a lot of work up and down ladders. And wearers of high heels. All that localised pressure.

Yetch.  GWS.  Even if you're not cycling, I trust you'll still be allowed CAEK in the meantime...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3677 on: 15 November, 2021, 07:25:24 am »
I seem to have borked my knee. Did a lunge-jump thing at fencing last Wednesday and it complained mightily. Complained if I tried to bend it too much with load, so stopped doing that and finished the bout without any major discomfort. Got home, it was sore but nothing screamed acute injury. Next morning it was clearly very unhappy and using it to go up & down stairs wasn't doable (I can stiff-leg it, one step at the time). Been RICE'ing it, I can walk normal-ish, I can bend it without load. Any kind of bend with load on makes it instantly painful below the kneecap and up the inside of the knee.
 Timing is awful. I'm just about to start a 2 month break, where I was planning to snowboard, hike, kendo, fence and in general catch up on all the stuff that covid + insane work schedule has prevented me from doing the last year+..+ a bunch of refurbishment, which I think, I should still be able to do..I hope. If I have to spend 2+months on my arse, I might as well work.

Got a doctors appointment on Tuesday, where I'll try to convince him to get some imaging* done and a physio appointment Wednesday which will hopefully give me a better idea of what I messed up.
 *I should be able to get an ultrasound, MRI, I suspect not. Family doctors here are firmly in the 'go home and rest' category rather than actually figuring out what you messed up, when it comes to sports injuries. I am considering paying for an MRI, but I'll see what the doc/physio says first.

In normal times I would have gone to ER, but they're still pretty heavily loaded here from covid cases/workload.

I have done a bunch of googling, but it's really inconclusive (And I'm not a doctor). I did have some funky swelling on the front of the knee Sunday, but that felt more liked I banged it against something (which I may or may not have) and it was a little sore from Sunday/Monday activities, but only a little. This leans towards bursitis, but the current pain area suggest meniscus?.
Only very minor swelling.

Bah. Why do I always get injured in November?. All my 'bigger'  injuries have happened in November.

« Reply #3678 on: 18 November, 2021, 07:53:47 am »
So, doctor was like "Oh you have a knee sprain". No shit, sherlock. Not interested in any kind of imaging or treatment, just 'go home and rest until it goes away'.

Physio was much better: Minor meniscus tear. Those wont heal, but as long as it isn't completely torn and fragments aren't getting caught in the joint, it's mostly just about recovering from the joint irritation. He did a little bit of alignment work, prescribed some light exercise (stationary bike, very light leg press) and told me not worry.
Not sure if it was the alignment work or just the pure psychological factor of finding out that my knee wasn't actually falling off, but it's already much better and I can now (gently) use it for stairs. Weeks, not months for recovery.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3679 on: 18 November, 2021, 10:01:23 am »
I've had a knee issue for years and I've finally learned from all the times I have fecked it up. Take it easy it will get better, but not in the time you have hoped, it takes much longer.

It took me years to learn, that if I did dumb shit and messed my knee up, I would be limping for a long while yet. So, for example, I don't run for a bus anymore cause that equal 2-3 months of ouch easy. 

I now go with this rule, if it took 3 days/weeks/months of gentle recovery to get it not to hurt anymore, I need to add 3 days/weeks/months before I even think about doing anything more than gentle recovery.

Only when I have done that, I can start slowly to build up what every I like to do, like walking or cycling.

So Jakob, take your time don't try to rush it, there's a ski season next year.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #3680 on: 18 November, 2021, 06:18:15 pm »
Dr Google was convinced on Monday I had plantar fascititis - and I went along with that.
Yesterday morning I woke up with my calf muscle being somewhat tender. By yesterday evening, "somwhat" didn't quite cut it, and I could feel a line of hard stuff down my calf. Hmmmm.
Mrs M bullied me into getting an appointment at the GP this morning.

I've have had a blood test (D-Dimers) to rule out DVT, but she reckons its probably thrombophlebitis, as well as plantar wotsit.

I've been given anticoagulants until the D-Dimer result is back.
Also paracetamol & brufen (which gives me the shits).

My leg and foot is bloody painful, and the drugs don't work.

Yours feeling miserable!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3681 on: 18 November, 2021, 07:17:20 pm »
Sounds  like superficial thrombophlebitis to me.

Elevate, ibuprofen, exclude DVT and

Get Well Soon!

« Reply #3682 on: 18 November, 2021, 09:33:43 pm »
Get Well Soon!
Thank you.
D-dimers came back raised (impressed to get a call from the GP at 7:30pm) so she's arranging an appointment at the DVT Clinic tomorrow where they can ultrasound it.
I'm convinced too that it's superficial thrombophlebitis.
I'm not too sure that ibuprofen & anticoagulants are a great mix, but the GP suggested it, and the pharmacist didn't query it - and I can survive without the stuff.

« Reply #3683 on: 19 November, 2021, 07:51:52 am »
So Jakob, take your time don't try to rush it, there's a ski season next year.

Well, with climate change and my work schedule...maybe not!. In any case, I can now walk down stairs, with only a little extra caution.
The physio did tell, that ones the irritation goes away, functionality returns almost instantly . It's now just getting rid of the remaining inflammation and a bit of conditioning.

I will, however, go back to the gym and work on strengthening the knees. (and just about everything else). The plan is to come out of this 2 month break a lot fitter.

« Reply #3684 on: 21 November, 2021, 06:41:06 pm »
Double stab yesterday. Flu and COVID booster. Dual sore shoulders and exhausted today.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3685 on: 22 November, 2021, 06:51:14 pm »

Get Well Soon!
Thank you.
D-dimers came back raised (impressed to get a call from the GP at 7:30pm) so she's arranging an appointment at the DVT Clinic tomorrow where they can ultrasound it.
I'm convinced too that it's superficial thrombophlebitis.
I'm not too sure that ibuprofen & anticoagulants are a great mix, but the GP suggested it, and the pharmacist didn't query it - and I can survive without the stuff.

DVT clinic this morning with lots of ultrasound waves and a nurse with incredibly cold hands.
It is superficial thrombophlebitis - there's a 19cm length of vein that won't compress.
I've got 6 weeks worth of anticoagulants and instructions to rest my leg, but take plenty of exercise (wot?)
It's still bloody sore, and I still feel like poo, but at least it isn't a DVT

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3686 on: 22 November, 2021, 06:59:40 pm »
Glad it's not a DVT.

Still wishing you well...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3687 on: 24 November, 2021, 08:54:25 pm »
Round 2 of root canal was on Friday, the temporary filling lasted till today...

Rounds 3 and 4 are on the 10th,
So far no discomfort from it not being there, do I accept eating on one side for 2 weeks or spent 2 hours whenever the dentist can replug the hole.

Edit: looks like the temporary dressing's cracked horizontally and the top bits off,
Meh.

The Brust lip is more annoying

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Well actually it was the old filling that had come loose.

Next round is due 2nd week of December after that because the long appointment had to be delayed.

But since then i managed to make the temporary filling last 2 weeks before breaking it, luckilly not breaking the tooth as the other dentists feared as that checked it out.
Unlike previous times I've needed painkillers after the fact, duff temp filling removed, tooth washed out and redressed, gum still bloody sore at the base but at least the tooth isn't still throbbing. Hopefully be in a state where I can blat out a 200 at the weekend without risking other things by being under the influence of paracetamol and ibuprofen....

But until it calms down (it better)... F--king Oww...

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #3688 on: 27 November, 2021, 12:59:42 pm »
'effing Shingles. onna Face and HEDD!  Two BIG blistery things appeared overnight on my right arm, should've known from those and i can't get the Med's until Monday.
I was scared, with the symptoms I had, that it might have been a return of the Hep' C from the early 90's. 
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3689 on: 27 November, 2021, 01:32:09 pm »
Ouch, hope it's not too bad and doesn't go near your eyes.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3690 on: 27 November, 2021, 02:08:56 pm »
Gah! Hope it buggers off sharpish.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3691 on: 28 November, 2021, 07:37:00 am »

It is superficial thrombophlebitis - there's a 19cm length of vein that won't compress.
It's still bloody sore, and I still feel like poo, but at least it isn't a DVT

Just saying.   The thought occurred to me in the dead of night that this all started about 10 days after my covid booster.

Is it worth filling in an MHRA yellow card?

(And, yes, I'd still rather have a sore leg than covid)

« Reply #3692 on: 28 November, 2021, 07:44:44 am »
Yes

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3693 on: 28 November, 2021, 12:59:21 pm »
Yes.

How are you doing?

« Reply #3694 on: 28 November, 2021, 02:58:11 pm »
Yes.

How are you doing?
Fine - the leg is generally OK, I was dragged round a garden centre on Thursday, and my whole leg ached all that evening.
I've been to the allotment today and suspect I'll be suffering this evening. I've already got a sharp pain just above my ankle.
Overall it's improving remarkably quickly.
Thanks for asking!

« Reply #3695 on: 28 November, 2021, 03:44:46 pm »
Did they offer you support stockings?

« Reply #3696 on: 28 November, 2021, 05:55:28 pm »
Did they offer you support stockings?
No - which I now think was a bit odd.I was too shell shocked at the clinic to pick up on that.
I was wondering whether to purloin Mrs M's compression stockings but have no idea of the sizing. I'll just keep taking the Rivaroxaban.

MHRA report done. Thanks for the advice.
(In a different life our team used to say about Datix reporting "if you're asking if you should report it, then you should report it" - I need to remember my own advice!)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3697 on: 29 November, 2021, 02:35:07 pm »
Well that's another temporary filling that I've not managed to make last a week.
Thank god my dentists some how manage to be decent for appointments.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3698 on: 01 December, 2021, 07:18:54 am »
Double stab yesterday. Flu and COVID booster. Dual sore shoulders and exhausted today.

By contrast with jab 1, very little side effects from the booster and flu jab, muscles tender for a couple of days and HR elevated for the effort on Monday's turbo session.  I was braced for the worst that never came.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3699 on: 05 December, 2021, 12:18:20 pm »
Is it bad to take medication after it's best before date?  Have some prescription co-codamol that I have been taking and I noticed that it's sell by, best before date is december 2019.  Been taking it and it is working.

Should I continue taking the meds or bin.