Author Topic: the tedium of making gps files that work  (Read 5413 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: the tedium of making gps files that work
« Reply #25 on: 16 April, 2013, 12:19:35 pm »
Looks like to be actually able to rely on a GPS you have to be some kind of expert in several different file formats and know all the settings and limitations on your particular device inside out as well as having a spare set of batteries.

Yep, that's pretty much how I do it.

;D

« Reply #26 on: 16 April, 2013, 12:29:09 pm »
I cannot remember fully how the eTrex and Edge worked. When adjusted to 'Delivery van', does it calculate ETA based on the road speed limits, whereby adjusting it to 'Bicycle', calculates ETA on 20 kmh in the city and 25 kmh in the countryside?

If its adjusted to 'Delivery van' the displayed ETA is way ahead of a bicycle.
Is this how I remember?

When using a Route with loads of Viapoints, I had the unit adjusted to 'Bicycle' to get a sensible ETA at the next control.
IIRC it was 'Final ETA' on the data field list.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #27 on: 18 April, 2013, 09:47:45 am »
Frank hasn't said anything yet. He's probably still laughing.

Crying, actually.

(It's true though, that it's not possible for a well-meaning Organiser to provide a single GPS file that will work for more than 50% of the people who download it.  It really is down to the end user to know how to fettle any file they download.
[edit - and down to the Organiser to describe what they are supplying in the file - ie single/multiple Track(s)/Route(s)/ how many points)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #28 on: 19 April, 2013, 10:19:49 am »
It's true though, that it's not possible for a well-meaning Organiser to provide a single GPS file that will work for more than 50% of the people who download it.  It really is down to the end user to know how to fettle any file they download.

Agree
And maybe I'm odd, because I find no tedium in fettling the files to suit my device, because it usually involves going round the route in some mapping program or other so I know roughly where I am going, rather than following a random and interminable set of R@T, L@X style instructions.

« Reply #29 on: 19 April, 2013, 11:04:11 am »
It's true though, that it's not possible for a well-meaning Organiser to provide a single GPS file that will work for more than 50% of the people who download it.  It really is down to the end user to know how to fettle any file they download.

Agree
And maybe I'm odd, because I find no tedium in fettling the files to suit my device, because it usually involves going round the route in some mapping program or other so I know roughly where I am going, rather than following a random and interminable set of R@T, L@X style instructions.

And there is a sense of blissful satisfaction when the Garmin does what you want it to do.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #30 on: 23 April, 2013, 01:11:15 pm »

Agree

And there is a sense of blissful satisfaction when the Garmin does what you want it to do.

That curious Zen-like state when the old and the new work together in perfect harmony.

Sometimes it happens without tearing out what little hair hasn't already been torn out by Nature.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.