Author Topic: The Archers  (Read 70693 times)

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
Re: The Archers
« Reply #50 on: 03 January, 2011, 07:38:11 pm »
It was discussed on PM (R4) today that Nigel's status, between yesterday's episode and today's, was analogous to that of Schrödinger's cat.   ;D
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #51 on: 03 January, 2011, 08:05:41 pm »
It was discussed on PM (R4) today that Nigel's status, between yesterday's episode and today's, was analogous to that of Schrödinger's cat.   ;D

I love Radio 4. ;D
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #52 on: 04 January, 2011, 12:47:06 pm »
Oh dear.

The Archers fans are in uproar.  Vanessa Redburn let slip that there was to be a 'funeral' in a forthcoming episode.

No more Nigel*...  :'(  :'(

*Unless there is a hasty rewrite to cover up the slip.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #53 on: 04 January, 2011, 12:48:04 pm »

I love Radio 4. ;D
Yes, lovely, isn't it?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #54 on: 04 January, 2011, 01:20:33 pm »
No more Nigel :D
Getting there...

« Reply #55 on: 04 January, 2011, 01:24:27 pm »
That's a 50% decrease in smugness then.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #56 on: 04 January, 2011, 04:14:43 pm »
Oh dear.

The Archers fans are in uproar.  Vanessa Redburn let slip that there was to be a 'funeral' in a forthcoming episode.

No more Nigel*...  :'(  :'(

Too late for a rewrite - he was dead by last night.

Apparently VW said on PM a 'birth and a death' was 'iconic'.  When the interviewer sugested that she had given the game away she replied that  she had said a 'birth and a potential death'.  Very unconvincing.

« Reply #57 on: 04 January, 2011, 07:10:07 pm »
Oh dear.

The Archers fans are in uproar.  Vanessa Redburn let slip that there was to be a 'funeral' in a forthcoming episode.

No more Nigel*...  :'(  :'(

Too late for a rewrite - he was dead by last night.

Apparently VW said on PM a 'birth and a death' was 'iconic'.  When the interviewer sugested that she had given the game away she replied that  she had said a 'birth and a potential death'.  Very unconvincing.

I didn't hear that, but frankly it seemed pretty obvious what had happened. A death is THE big soap storyline - with adultery a close second. How we were glued to the radio a few years back when it was Brian and Siobhan, and Jenny finding out....

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #58 on: 04 January, 2011, 08:36:40 pm »
I don't listen any more, but I =DO= remember the old Nigel, far more fun.

« Reply #59 on: 04 January, 2011, 08:41:36 pm »
While of course the class enemy he was one of the more "fun" characters - but I shall continue listening every day!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #60 on: 04 January, 2011, 08:41:59 pm »
Dez was telling me that the old Nigel and the new one were the same person, with someone else having a brief spell in between.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #61 on: 04 January, 2011, 08:44:25 pm »
Dez was telling me that the old Nigel and the new one were the same person, with someone else having a brief spell in between.

Maybe, as I was never an AA, but the scripting went wet.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #62 on: 05 January, 2011, 12:48:16 am »
The same actor played him for the last 30 years. But I agree with Ham - the character changed in recent years, even if the actor didn't. Even before he got the role as Lynda's panto dame, he was somewhat camper than of old.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #63 on: 07 January, 2011, 01:52:06 pm »
Someone has worked out, using the length of the fall scream, that Lower Loxley Hall, or what ever the building that NP fell from, is 20 stories high!

No doubt that the inside is actually used as a multi storey car park for all the Land/Range Rovers that the farm has.  ::-)  :P

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #64 on: 07 January, 2011, 01:56:00 pm »
Someone has worked out, using the length of the fall scream, that Lower Loxley Hall, or what ever the building that NP fell from, is 20 stories high!

No doubt that the inside is actually used as a multi storey car park for all the Land/Range Rovers that the farm has.  ::-)  :P

Yes, I heard that on R4 just now too. 
I had wondered about the length of the scream myself.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #65 on: 07 January, 2011, 03:41:45 pm »

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #66 on: 07 January, 2011, 04:00:06 pm »

Mrs Thor - more of an Archers fan than I - suggests that he started to scream when he slipped, but only plummeted earthwards after skidding along the roof for a bit.  This may suggest fewer storeys.  ;)
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #67 on: 07 January, 2011, 05:16:22 pm »

No doubt that the inside is actually used as a multi storey car park for all the Land/Range Rovers that the farm has.  ::-)  :P

I wondered about that too. I guess he fell through a space/time hole, and will end up back on the programme same time next year, crashing onto the roof with a elongated scream announcing his arrival.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #68 on: 07 January, 2011, 05:28:38 pm »
For those who had been listening, Nigel had climbed further up the roof to free off the end of the banner.  He screamed as he slid...
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #69 on: 03 February, 2011, 08:42:27 am »
Archers addict Camilla makes Ambridge cameo | Television & radio | The Guardian

How nauseating. Will David Archer push her off the roof?

« Reply #70 on: 03 February, 2011, 08:52:37 am »

iakobski

« Reply #71 on: 03 July, 2011, 07:37:26 am »
So bicycles have featured three times in the Archers this year. Lynda Snell breaking down in the cold and dark on a country lane; Harry & Zofia on a bridleway; Harry getting knocked off by a car.

So that's one out of three for cycling being safe and enjoyable...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #72 on: 04 July, 2011, 10:52:46 am »
Ambridge Extra, few days ago:
teenagers crashed their flash car whilst attempting to intimidate "Lycra Geeks"  :thumbsup:

Despite this, I have no intention of listening to the programme ever again..
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #73 on: 04 July, 2011, 10:58:15 am »
Harry being a keen cyclist was one of the big features of his character when he first joined the cast. Before he moved to Ambridge, he cycled over from Borchester to do his milk round every day. I thought that was a strong, positive message, especially in the context of the difference between his character and that of the unsympathetic layabout Jazzer.

And Lynda has always used her bike as her main means of getting around the village. I guess it only gets mentioned when it becomes a plot point.

Anyway, I gave up the Archers a few months ago. It was just getting too irritating.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #74 on: 04 March, 2012, 10:44:14 am »
Anyone else having three heart attacks in one week would have died, but not bloody Tony Archer.  >:(