Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1627006 times)

Chris S

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #6850 on: 16 September, 2015, 04:59:40 pm »
Just because Fern is a name, doesn't mean calling your child Bracken is better  :facepalm:.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6851 on: 16 September, 2015, 05:01:39 pm »
Really?  I mean really?  Please tell me you've made that up.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Chris S

« Reply #6852 on: 16 September, 2015, 05:05:20 pm »

I wish...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6853 on: 16 September, 2015, 05:22:20 pm »

I wish...

:facepalm:  :facepalm:

How about Curly Kale?  Or Chard?   ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6854 on: 16 September, 2015, 05:29:08 pm »
I knew a female called "Bracken" once, but she was a Border Collie.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6855 on: 16 September, 2015, 05:30:24 pm »

I wish...

Of course Chard can be a name! It's just like Chelsea! Or Taunton. Or Smethwick. Or... I see Rudyard never caught on, anyway.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6856 on: 16 September, 2015, 07:36:13 pm »

I wish...

Helmut Kohl's name isn't silly.
Nor is Ronnie Chard...

« Reply #6857 on: 16 September, 2015, 07:50:22 pm »
and for twins...... Mustard and Cress?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6858 on: 16 September, 2015, 08:43:21 pm »

I wish...

Nor is Ronnie Chard...
Nor Bartosz Kapustka, the Polish footballer.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #6859 on: 16 September, 2015, 09:52:39 pm »
Is it so hard to make a butter dish that fits the shapes that butter generally comes in?

I can recommend the butter boxes from here http://www.baltictrader.co.uk/mall/departmentpage.cfm/BalticTraderOnline/_93773/1/Butter%2520Boxes

Just don't drop the lid, because they are made as a pair and you can't replace the lid without replacing the box because they don't fit interchangeably...

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #6860 on: 17 September, 2015, 12:07:40 am »
Is it so hard to make a butter dish that fits the shapes that butter generally comes in?

I can recommend the butter boxes from here http://www.baltictrader.co.uk/mall/departmentpage.cfm/BalticTraderOnline/_93773/1/Butter%2520Boxes

Just don't drop the lid, because they are made as a pair and you can't replace the lid without replacing the box because they don't fit interchangeably...

I've got a lovely Le Creuset one which takes a normal block of Lurpak quite nicely. Bright ORANGE too, which I likes.

« Reply #6861 on: 17 September, 2015, 09:40:47 am »
We have a couple (well three actually - 2 in use, one for salted, one for unsalted, one spare) of these

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/1496/Insulated-Butter-Dish?gclid=CLfVoNnV_ccCFQ5sGwod40MD-g&src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!69394197149!!!g!40228173289!&ef_id=VebEcwAAAIiQACK2:20150917083941:s

but HOW MUCH?!? now??  :o

We didn't pat that much but then ours are 10 years old now.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6862 on: 17 September, 2015, 09:55:59 am »

One of my friends has a rottweiler called Bracken. It's one of those names that's appropriate for a dog, but less so a human.

This reminds me of the fact that I have 2 new people working for me, named Ruby and Sam.  Both are fairly appropriate names for people, but unfortunately I have 2 cows called Ruby and Sam (who we bought as a pair), and now I'm struggling to remove the name association.

« Reply #6863 on: 17 September, 2015, 10:06:51 am »

I wish...

Nor is Ronnie Chard...
Nor Bartosz Kapustka, the Polish footballer.
Nor indeed Polish cyclist Sylwia Kapusta.

When I was a 10-year-old Legling, I had a schoolfriend with a darkish complexion (I think he was just well tanned).  His name was Richard Lewis but he went by the nickname "Chocolate Chard".  He managed to persuade us to drop the "chocolate" (ooo-err) and was then universally known as "Chard".

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6864 on: 17 September, 2015, 10:42:37 am »

One of my friends has a rottweiler called Bracken. It's one of those names that's appropriate for a dog, but less so a human.

In France there's a category of gun dog called a braque - a Weimaraner here is a Braque de Weimar.  There's probably an obsolete English cognate that gave people the idea of calling their dogs Bracken.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #6865 on: 17 September, 2015, 01:27:47 pm »

They are nice, as are
We have a couple (well three actually - 2 in use, one for salted, one for unsalted, one spare) of these

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/1496/Insulated-Butter-Dish?gclid=CLfVoNnV_ccCFQ5sGwod40MD-g&src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!69394197149!!!g!40228173289!&ef_id=VebEcwAAAIiQACK2:20150917083941:s

but HOW MUCH?!? now??  :o

We didn't pat that much but then ours are 10 years old now.

Mine is nice too, but the problem (I realise now from your links) is that it is upside down. Well, not exactly, but the bottom piece is almost flat, while the lid is box-shaped to go over the butter. Which I guess is the problem, because if you don't put it on carefully it catches the butter and you get a mess. Only a small mess, admittedly (which is why this is in 'grumbles', not 'rants').

The linked design solves that problem. I'll think about it...
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6866 on: 17 September, 2015, 01:48:27 pm »
Ours is 'upside down' too. As you say, it can result in buttery mess, but then again, it means the butter is easier to get at. What ours does lack is a handle, but well, it only cost about a fiver (less, I think) as opposed to twenty. And at least it's not plastic!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6867 on: 17 September, 2015, 07:47:20 pm »
The tent was a bit wet when I packed it up on Sunday. It's been in its bag since then. Today I put it out on the line to dry and it smells of curry powder and raw fish (two things that have never been near it).  :sick:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6868 on: 17 September, 2015, 07:59:02 pm »
The tent was a bit wet when I packed it up on Sunday. It's been in its bag since then. Today I put it out on the line to dry and it smells of curry powder and raw fish (two things that have never been near it).  :sick:

Have you checked for forgotten jumpers?   ;D

« Reply #6869 on: 18 September, 2015, 09:40:38 am »
Ours is 'upside down' too. As you say, it can result in buttery mess, but then again, it means the butter is easier to get at. What ours does lack is a handle, but well, it only cost about a fiver (less, I think) as opposed to twenty. And at least it's not plastic!

We just use something like this.

Works!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #6870 on: 18 September, 2015, 09:52:40 am »
Mine is nice too, but the problem (I realise now from your links) is that it is upside down. Well, not exactly, but the bottom piece is almost flat, while the lid is box-shaped to go over the butter. Which I guess is the problem, because if you don't put it on carefully it catches the butter and you get a mess. Only a small mess, admittedly (which is why this is in 'grumbles', not 'rants').

Ah, what you mean is that you have a butter dish and not a butter box.  The distinction is, apparently, very important.  I got a right proper telling off when I tried to buy a replacement lid for what I believed to be a butter 'dish' from the pottery in Lewes - not because they don't sell spare lids (which they don't) but because I was referring to their wares completely incorrectly.  She was most offended :D

ian

« Reply #6871 on: 18 September, 2015, 12:49:46 pm »
Stupid giant laptop from the mothership. See, last year, I ordered a svelte ultrabook thing then I handed in my old laptop. They did the magic and handed me something back the size and weight of a small American pickup truck. Erm, that's not what I put the tick next to on my requisition, say I. Oh we've run out of those, says he. Can you get me one? Not till next year, they're not getting any more. Anyway, I've been dragging it around ever since and hating it more and more by the day. More so as since I have learned that there's a secret pathway to getting a MacBook. So I could have got one of those. I am a seething bathtub of bile.

Anyway, that's an historical grumble, my contemporary grumble is that I fumbled and dropped the behemoth this morning, thus distressing further my distressed hardwood floor. We didn't make the mistake in this house of having a nice pristine wood floor and then scratching, gouging, and denting it (bike locks are superb), this came ready battered and factory engineered rustic. Now more so.

Worst still, it didn't break. Just the damn bluetooth dongle. Which is mine (because the mothership decided to save 4p per laptop by not having a bluetooth chip). Now I have to use the touchpad and once you're used to an Appley one, it's a tearsome business. Fucking cursor is running around like ant on amphetamines.

« Reply #6872 on: 18 September, 2015, 01:01:47 pm »

Ah, what you mean is that you have a butter dish and not a butter box.  The distinction is, apparently, very important.  I got a right proper telling off when I tried to buy a replacement lid for what I believed to be a butter 'dish' from the pottery in Lewes - not because they don't sell spare lids (which they don't) but because I was referring to their wares completely incorrectly.  She was most offended :D
Ahh, now then, some of the pottery butter box style I don't like as they have an internal overhang- almost as if they're for
(click to show/hide)

We have one of these. You can fit a 500gm pack in if you want, and it's wide enough that you don't catch the edges with your butter knife.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #6873 on: 18 September, 2015, 01:57:25 pm »
Worst still, it didn't break. Just the damn bluetooth dongle. Which is mine (because the mothership decided to save 4p per laptop by not having a bluetooth chip). Now I have to use the touchpad and once you're used to an Appley one, it's a tearsome business. Fucking cursor is running around like ant on amphetamines.

It would be quite terrible if you were on a (work related) phone call and you were to go to the upper stories of your residence as you were talking, wander over to the window and "oops, how did that happen?"

Make gravity your friend.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

ian

« Reply #6874 on: 18 September, 2015, 02:15:44 pm »
I have contemplated dropping it off the balcony but it'll just make a hole in my driveway. Or bounce along and flatten the car, cat, and cause the garage to collapse when it finally hits it.