Author Topic: Recommendations for a Brussels sprouts shaver implement, please  (Read 3027 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
J'adore les choux de Bruxelles and enjoy cooking many varied and exciting recipes with the little beauties. A fancy has come up for a salad, possibly combining them with lightly toasted flaked almonds, Parmesan cheese and a 'French' dressing. I have a wonderful late 1960s beech wood and stainless steel "Waefa" Suisse mandolin, which only gets used once a year for preparing potatoes for the Chrimbo 'Dauphinoise'. I wouldn't think such a robust classic tool lends itself to anything smaller that potatoes, lest one's fingernails and slivered fingertops were required in the dish also.

Can anyone recommend a more modern and safer way of shaving lovely fresh green round crinkly orbs?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Recommendations for a Brussels sprouts shaver implement, please
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2018, 05:41:24 pm »
A very sharp 10" cook's knife?

Personally, I would try the mandoline. We've had a nice modern stainless steel mandoline (with an assortment of blades) sitting in the cupboard gathering dust for several years until I decided to start making it earn its keep, so I try to use it for lots of different things. I've not done sprouts on it but I have done radishes. It comes with a slider attachment to keep your fingers clear but I don't like it so tend to go freestyle. Avoiding fingertip-removal is mainly a case of being very, very careful.

Talking of mandolines, one of my all-time favourite TV cookery clips...
https://youtu.be/YhuRkJcZCfI
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2018, 05:51:00 pm »
I've seen some pretty weird sounding topics on YACF over the years, but this one must surely deserve some kind of award?

« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2018, 06:08:48 pm »
This box grater from Cuisipro has a mandolin with a blade the edge of which  has been chemically etched (as indeed all of the blades on the other sides have been) as opposed to more conventionally stamped, making it a Very Sharp Indeed tool.
And one of my favourites in my kitchen armoury.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2018, 06:19:34 pm »
Talking of mandolines, one of my all-time favourite TV cookery clips...
https://youtu.be/YhuRkJcZCfI

:D

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #5 on: 23 April, 2018, 06:28:59 pm »
This box grater from Cuisipro has a mandolin with a blade the edge of which  has been chemically etched (as indeed all of the blades on the other sides have been) as opposed to more conventionally stamped, making it a Very Sharp Indeed tool.

That looks good - thank you.

Many years ago when I lived in a very rural hamlet in Wiltshire, my partner and I used to drive up to that London in our 1972 orange Mini Clubman to get precious haircuts and visit Divertimenti - even though we still considered ourselves 'hippies'  :-[

« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2018, 07:00:21 pm »

That looks good - thank you.

Many years ago when I lived in a very rural hamlet in Wiltshire, my partner and I used to drive up to that London in our 1972 orange Mini Clubman to get precious haircuts and visit Divertimenti - even though we still considered ourselves 'hippies'  :-[

Divertimenti.
A bit of a culinary Mecca.
So much stainless and copper.
So little time.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2018, 08:12:15 pm »
Like Slope, I'm a big fan of sprouts. Kim, I suspect is not. Nevertheless... Aren't any of you foodie cyclists making your mandolines earn their keep by using them to shave your legs?  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8 on: 23 April, 2018, 10:18:01 pm »
I've seen some pretty weird sounding topics on YACF over the years, but this one must surely deserve some kind of award?
I had an instant image of hairy sprouts followed by (image of) electric razors. There might be the basis of a film there somewhere :demon: .

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 24 April, 2018, 12:50:03 pm »
I had an instant image of hairy sprouts followed by (image of) electric razors. There might be the basis of a film there somewhere :demon: .

I expect there's pr0n about it in Internetland.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 24 April, 2018, 02:52:15 pm »

I expect there's pr0n about it in Internetland.
I expect it looks a bit like this:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #11 on: 07 June, 2018, 09:34:13 pm »
Try fried sprouts, now there's a thing.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12 on: 08 June, 2018, 05:05:54 pm »
I only ever slice thinly and saute, boiling is  :sick:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #13 on: 08 June, 2018, 05:13:57 pm »
Turns out this post wasn't a euphemism after all.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #14 on: 08 June, 2018, 05:15:42 pm »
I only ever slice thinly and saute, boiling is  :sick:

Or if small, just halved and sautéd in butter and Malden salt until tender to suit and preferably with the odd crispy dark edges :)

But back to my OP - I settled on this excellent advice

A very sharp 10" cook's knife?