Author Topic: Titanium  (Read 34887 times)

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
Re: Titanium
« Reply #50 on: 27 April, 2011, 10:51:02 am »
His 'n' Hers

I note she has to carry the pump for you both  :o

No, didn't you spot the track pump in the background, he straps that onto the Carridice before they leave....that and the weight of the extra bottle means he can justify needing a treble....

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #51 on: 27 April, 2011, 12:34:02 pm »
That mtb is lush! XTR too, very nice, although a little clean!

It is indeed.
Spec: Litespeed Occoee frame, handbuilt wheels (DT240s hubs, DT 4.1d rims, DT Revolution spokes), Full XTR drivechain, Easton EC90 bars, FSA K-Force Seatpin, Avid Juicy Carbon brakes, Magura Durin 100mm race forks, Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evolution Tyres, FSA XC115 Stem, Fizik Gobi saddle. All up weight is sub 19lbs.

This was my dream bike back in 2007 when I built it specially for competing in Trailquest/MTB Orienteering events. Sadly it gets little use now and I would sell it if I got a sensible offer (original cost was upwards of £3,000).

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #52 on: 27 April, 2011, 12:42:10 pm »
I missed this thread until now. I bet there aren't many of these amongst the forummers:

2009 Ritchey Break-Away Ti/Carbon.

Majorbloodnok

« Reply #53 on: 27 April, 2011, 01:38:19 pm »
Does it come with a suitcase TimC?

Majorbloodnok

« Reply #54 on: 27 April, 2011, 01:43:15 pm »
That mtb is lush! XTR too, very nice, although a little clean!

It is indeed.
Spec: Litespeed Occoee frame, handbuilt wheels (DT240s hubs, DT 4.1d rims, DT Revolution spokes), Full XTR drivechain, Easton EC90 bars, FSA K-Force Seatpin, Avid Juicy Carbon brakes, Magura Durin 100mm race forks, Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evolution Tyres, FSA XC115 Stem, Fizik Gobi saddle. All up weight is sub 19lbs.

This was my dream bike back in 2007 when I built it specially for competing in Trailquest/MTB Orienteering events. Sadly it gets little use now and I would sell it if I got a sensible offer (original cost was upwards of £3,000).

Truely great bike.  I sold my Kona Kula Delux last year.....£500.  Damn thing cost £1700 in 2006.  I needed the cash (and a Brompton) :(  Still, I'll give you a nudge when I'm ready to sell the Brompton and buy another mtb   ;)

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #55 on: 27 April, 2011, 08:46:28 pm »
Why is it when I don't look at this thread for a while so many top bikes are on? I can't decide which I like best, have to have one of each (I wish)
Top bikes, Feline, JimmyM, TimC, Maverick

« Reply #56 on: 27 April, 2011, 09:50:28 pm »
While there are no ugly bikes on here (except, possibly, mine), Jurek's bike stands out for me.
I've seen it in the flesh and it looks even better.
I think it's the sloping top-tube above everything else.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #57 on: 27 April, 2011, 10:00:42 pm »
I think this one of Mikes has to be my fave after a quick look through the thread. I d of put titanium forks on though.

I won't be getting any titanium frames anytime soon . nice bikes everyone

« Reply #58 on: 27 April, 2011, 10:20:14 pm »

A not-very-good pic of my lovely Planet-X Ti pro Road. It's the Lynskey badged race geometry frame and it goes like a rocket (legs allowing  ;) ).

I've swapped the saddle for a Selle Italia SLR XP recently, but it's otherwise as the pic.

I might lower the bars a bit soon, but it's a pain cutting the carbon fork down so I haven't bothered yet.

« Reply #59 on: 28 April, 2011, 12:19:47 am »
I think this one of Mikes has to be my fave after a quick look through the thread. I d of put titanium forks on though.
Titanium forks are a bit of a problem. Not many people do 'em. Enigma stopped offering them after the Chocolate Bike incident.

Justin Burls sells 'em, but it's custom build (in Russia) & will set you back many beer tokens.

A certain Mr Reilly reckons the Burls forks are the same design as the old Omega ones*, & he should know. I know people with Omega Ti forks, including one who does rough stuff on them, & they're all happy.

*But didn't seem to mind.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Majorbloodnok

« Reply #60 on: 30 April, 2011, 01:30:30 pm »
My "Vauxhall Audax" as my riding buddy calls it, git.

IMG_6892_1_5 by bubblebutt2005, on Flickr

IMG_6895_1_8 by bubblebutt2005, on Flickr

Simonb

« Reply #61 on: 03 May, 2011, 10:08:52 pm »
My "Vauxhall Audax" as my riding buddy calls it, git.

Teeny-weeny!

PH

« Reply #62 on: 03 May, 2011, 10:17:20 pm »
My XACD tourer, already posted on the members bikes thread, but here doing what it does best.

« Reply #63 on: 03 May, 2011, 11:34:02 pm »
My XACD tourer

Nice set-up. What fork are you using?

Some day I might look into a titanium frame that could take a Rohloff or work as a fixed (disc brakes in the mix, possibly).

PH

« Reply #64 on: 04 May, 2011, 08:27:59 pm »
My XACD tourer

Nice set-up. What fork are you using?

Some day I might look into a titanium frame that could take a Rohloff or work as a fixed (disc brakes in the mix, possibly).

The forks are IRD, reasonably light for what they are and comfortable enough, but the finish could be better.
If I hadn't already got the hubs I might have gone for disk brakes, though the IRD cantis on Rigida carbide rims have been as good as I've needed.

« Reply #65 on: 15 June, 2011, 10:51:07 pm »
My remanufactured light bike.
It's still not what I wanted (and thought I'd asked for) but it's much better and it rides like a dream.

11-06-09 Disc braked Enigma road bike RHS by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

11-06-09 Disc-braked Enigma road bike LHS by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #66 on: 15 June, 2011, 10:54:31 pm »
Nice bike there, choco, look forward to seeing it in the flesh sometime.

« Reply #67 on: 15 June, 2011, 10:58:36 pm »
Nice bike there, choco, look forward to seeing it in the flesh sometime.

Tomorrow if you're able to make it TEC  :thumbsup:

« Reply #68 on: 11 August, 2011, 11:30:44 am »
salar55's titanium collection.

The Van Nicholas has new forks from Justin Burls, made in Russia. Note the low-rider bosses. The Torch has Omega forks, which I've been told were made by the same Russians.

Van Nicholas

Torch

He also has some XACD forks -
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #69 on: 11 August, 2011, 04:52:11 pm »
Does it come with a suitcase TimC?
Missed this!

Yes, it does. I have taken it away with me on a couple of longhaul flights, and the case will pass as normal checked luggage. Depending on the airline, you can either stuff it full of lightweight clothes and get everything in the one case (but it may exceed the sibgle-case weight limit), or you can take a second, smaller case for the trivial stuff like clothes, washing kit etc.!

« Reply #70 on: 06 September, 2011, 04:04:48 pm »
My new Gran Fondo .... I'm in love!  :-*

« Reply #71 on: 23 September, 2011, 07:58:17 pm »
new frame  ;D ;D ;D ;D just waiting for some wheels and a fork.

« Reply #72 on: 28 September, 2011, 05:55:26 pm »
Finally put it together, time for a test ride:

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #73 on: 28 September, 2011, 06:22:20 pm »
My remanufactured light bike.
It's still not what I wanted (and thought I'd asked for) but it's much better and it rides like a dream.

I give a ":thumbsup:" to having some steerer left above the stem, but THAT amount looks naff.  Just a very few mm chopped off would make the whole bike look better.

I'm only mentioning this because it can only be the looks you're not happy with if the bike rides like a dream.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #74 on: 28 September, 2011, 06:55:34 pm »
Finally put it together, time for a test ride:

I think that should have style and speed. :thumbsup:
Getting there...