Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 296388 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Machine learning in learning from the training dataset shocker!

Hence why I posted with no comment. You would have thought that at least one of them had done CS 101 and thus knew about GIGO.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

Sadly, with boys in technology (and it almost always is boys), the size of their datasets is always more important than their quality.

Why are we suddenly calling this junk AI when it sounds exactly like the dumb statistical analysis spam filters were doing 15+ years ago?

ian

Because AI sounds banging.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star

Am sorry dave, I can't do that.

ian

I always use the term 'machine learning' because it's really AI, is it? Obviously, machine learning isn't so sexy.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch

That's what my students say when I set them an assignment.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5

That's what my students say when I set them an assignment.

*cackles*

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Memory Lane: rooting through the cable crypt for something to cannibalize to wire up a CB guitar this morning, I came up with a home-made Laplink cable, the RS232 version.  Remember the first time you saw that? I do: the wonder of seeing the contents of both PCs at the same time. And the suspense while you waited to see if the transfer would actually work without crashing.

Didn't use it - wanted multistrand.

I loved Laplink. I used to use it when I was a Computer Professional. My last job for HMCE was the merging of local VAT offices' databases because Normal Lamont (or someone) decided to reduce the number of VAT offices from 80-odd to 50-odd. We had to copy the databases onto state of the art laptops (Toshiba something-or-other with massive 360mb hard discs) and merge them on there. The local offices' computers were, typically, Olivettis with 20mb hard discs.

When Laplink was running, and it always took quite a long time, it gave the impression that I was hard at work as all those filenames and associated numbers & dates went scrolling by.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
When Laplink was running, and it always took quite a long time, it gave the impression that I was hard at work as all those filenames and associated numbers & dates went scrolling by.

In many places this principle applies to anything taking place in a terminal window.

In others, the presence of a terminal window is a sign that you're a dangerous hacker.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
wow I was clicking about on the internet today and lycos and angelfire are still alive.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Chris S

I tried installing Zwift on a 32 bit PC, and it complained saying Zwift no longer supports 32 bit PCs, and that I should upgrade.

So I installed it on a 64 bit PC, and guess what? Yes, that's right - it installs a 32 bit executable.  :facepalm:

IBM buy RHEL

Red Hat used to be quite good. Oh well.

ian

I've become addicted to Sonos speakers. The weird thing is that they somehow make wifi work.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
R.I.P. HAL: Douglas Rain, Voice Of Computer In '2001,' Dies At 90 http://n.pr/2DgyZUe

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
An email flooded in yesterday, allegedly from some medium sized cheese at head office. Apparently the IT support bods have a tool on all the machines to help monitor performance and this needs to be upgraded. Pls to download the file at the end of this link and click run.

On the one hand, no way, do you think I'm daft? On the other, the email looked kosher, address checked out, formatting and sig checked out.

What is a remotely working chap to do?  I ring head office. Is this email for real? Why yes, yes it is.

I download the zip file and extract an exe. Click run.

Whoops!, or perhaps, hurrah!, I do not have admin rights to install stuffs on my machine.

Drink coffee instead.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Despite having a Windows free zone at home for a good number of years (my last windows os was XP, everything else since then has been Linux in one form or another) im actually installing Windows 10 on an old pc hooked up to the telly for Zwift netflix & Steam 😀

My photo editing rig will still be running Linux though!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
BSODomized twice this morning, and as usual gone before I could read the address of the log.  "Display driver" in first line: seen that one before but not for years.  Did a driver update in the Device Manager, it told me mine was already up to date - after 9 years. I don't trust that but I no longer feel gung-ho enough to do it all manually.

BSODdit, I'll procrastinate. Don't need a driver for that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
When looking at what's my IP, I tend to be either just outside of Manchester or in Bradford, which is ok since I live about 25'ish north of both. Sometimes I get "hooked" up with an IP in London, which is fair enough since so much IT is down that there way.

Various internet services, depending on my security settings, will tell me "you last/just logged in from X location". These will fit to the location above, but twitter over the last few weeks have been a bit lost. As they tell me that I'm in Belfast.

EDIT: Just used a few other what is my IP services and they can't agree - I "live" in either Manchester or Belfast according to the same IP. Oh well I don't think if any of you lot explains I would understand why that is :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
When looking at what's my IP, I tend to be either just outside of Manchester or in Bradford, which is ok since I live about 25'ish north of both. Sometimes I get "hooked" up with an IP in London, which is fair enough since so much IT is down that there way.

Various internet services, depending on my security settings, will tell me "you last/just logged in from X location". These will fit to the location above, but twitter over the last few weeks have been a bit lost. As they tell me that I'm in Belfast.

EDIT: Just used a few other what is my IP services and they can't agree - I "live" in either Manchester or Belfast according to the same IP. Oh well I don't think if any of you lot explains I would understand why that is :)

It's quite simple:  IP addresses aren't geographic[1].

Sometimes people think it would be really useful if you could determine a physical location based on an IP address, so to that end, various attempts at compiling databases of IP locations have been made.  Unfortunately, they all suffer from the same problem, namely that IP addresses aren't geographic.  As a result, any given GeoIP database lookup will return a location that is either:  a) fortuitously correct  b) uselessly vague  c) accurate, but out of date  d) based on incorrect assumptions[2]  or e) complete bollocks.

Ob-xkcd:

[1] The only person likely to know the physical location of a given host is the administrator of the network it's connected to.  Eg. Your ISP probably have your address on file, and I have a reasonable idea where my printer is.  But there's no etablished protocol for J Random Website to ask us that in real time, even if we were wiling to disclose the answer.
[2] Shoutout to fellow AAISP customers in Arnold, Nottingham.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
Why can you only buy one pi board at a time in the UK?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Why can you only buy one pi board at a time in the UK?

That was a thing when they were first released and in short supply.  I didn't realise it was still a limitation.  I'm fairly sure I bought 6 Model Bs in one go from Farnell at one point.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
I think it is just the Pi Zero limited to one per order. Probably still in short supply, because it is so cheap, so discouraging people from buying loads of them. Seems you can buy in bulk if you get them with the pre-soldered header.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
Am after one pi zero w and one pi zero.  Then a few other bits.  Not allowed to do it.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries