Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 425879 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #1950 on: 03 March, 2020, 01:08:37 pm »
tis possible, though can't imagine a chinese style lock down preventing DIY 200s unless it's really really bad.

« Reply #1951 on: 03 March, 2020, 01:27:47 pm »
On a similar vein, Which month do weather delayed events count to if delayed from Feb to March? And further, if the event is ECE'd to get 200km would that be Feb or March?

« Reply #1952 on: 03 March, 2020, 01:34:07 pm »

Anyone else wondering if covid-19 is going to cause cancellation of calendar events and prevent people from completing March?

J

I hope not! I am relying on your end of March event for RRty#8 of 12 - otherwise it will be Leuven the next day and a trip to Huy (= Hills  :()

Regards,

Alan

« Reply #1953 on: 03 March, 2020, 04:03:18 pm »
On a similar vein, Which month do weather delayed events count to if delayed from Feb to March? And further, if the event is ECE'd to get 200km would that be Feb or March?

They appear on your results page as per the original date the event was due to run.   Not sure how RRTY deal with this though.
@CorbieLinnRider

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1954 on: 03 March, 2020, 05:07:56 pm »

I hope not! I am relying on your end of March event for RRty#8 of 12 - otherwise it will be Leuven the next day and a trip to Huy (= Hills  :()

Yeah, me too, am relying on it for 9/12.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #1955 on: 03 March, 2020, 06:49:38 pm »

They appear on your results page as per the original date the event was due to run.   Not sure how RRTY deal with this though.
Down to riders to alert the recorder/rrty man as to when they did ride,

Eddington  127miles, 170km

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #1956 on: 17 March, 2020, 11:57:06 am »
AUDAX UK - ANNOUNCEMENT- 16 March 2020

COVID-19 PANDEMIC: ALL AUDAX UK EVENTS, COMPETITIONS AND AWARDS SUSPENDED

Following today’s updated guidance from the government, the Audax UK Board has taken the difficult decision to suspend recognition of all calendar, permanent and DIY events, with immediate effect, until further notice.

This means that AUK will not validate any rides undertaken from midnight tonight, 16th March, until the decision is taken to lift the suspension. Anyone undertaking such rides will not be allocated AUK points or AAA points, their rides will not be counted towards Mileater or Randonneur Round the Year awards, and they will not be covered by AUK’s insurance policy while riding.

We appreciate that many members will be working towards our various points-based championships. Given the suspension of events, the points-based championships will be suspended for this season. The Mileater Awards will be frozen at their current state and, while annual totals will be recorded, the mileater championships will be suspended for this year. To ensure that the progress of riders  towards The Randonneur Round the Year Award  is recognised, validation of qualifying rides for  it will be suspended immediately and will restart on the same date as calendar events, perms, and DIYs.  RRtY riders who have already ridden their March events will be given due credit; those who have not yet completed a March event will be allowed to, in effect, have their suspension backdated to the end of February so that they are not penalised.

More information for members and specifically for event organisers will follow during the next few days.

We will keep the position under review and inform members of any changes as appropriate.

I would like to thank all the Board members who have contributed to these difficult decisions, and hope that Audax UK, all our members, all our event organisers, and all our supporters are able to return to our normal activities at some point in the future when the outlook for everybody is much better.

Chris Crossland
Chair, Audax UK

B*gg**

It would be a blessing if some forms of riding could be sanctioned. Audax is basically touring and on a Perm can be proved by visiting ATMs/selfies/gps that require minimal contact with other areas. An extra few energy bars obviate visiting Supermarkets/cafes. Not a lot worse than current advise (solo riding to keep fit) and certainly not a group event.

The current situation/reaction is understandable and accepted. I certainly have a vested interest with (potential) RRTY32 at No 11 (Mar 20) and (potential) RRTY33 at 7 (Feb 20).
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1957 on: 17 March, 2020, 01:36:33 pm »
The current situation/reaction is understandable and accepted. I certainly have a vested interest with (potential) RRTY32 at No 11 (Mar 20) and (potential) RRTY33 at 7 (Feb 20).

Reads to me that when festivities restart, you're still on month 11
So it's as if the month between April or March (depending on what you've done) to whenever (possibly September based on what we're talking about at work)

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #1958 on: 17 March, 2020, 03:43:19 pm »

Reads to me that when festivities restart, you're still on month 11
So it's as if the month between April or March (depending on what you've done) to whenever (possibly September based on what we're talking about at work)

With the cancellation of my 21 Mar events to manage (having just sent out Event Admin) I think I missed the (you will be credited with suspension date series) interpretation. So, all will not be lost; just have to ride for another few months. Delete B*gg**
SteveP

« Reply #1959 on: 17 March, 2020, 04:19:38 pm »
Farfetched and Quixoticgeek - Leuven is cancelled.

Unfortunately the hill at Huy isn't - will always be there......

« Reply #1960 on: 17 March, 2020, 05:47:28 pm »
Not that it really matters, but I wonder how SRs will work this season. Can't see anything in the statement. Will there be extra months added on past September to allow completion, once audaxing restarts (if it indeed does)?

Was planning to do one for the first time this year, hoping to make it AAA too - seems unlikely now but there's always hope.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #1961 on: 18 March, 2020, 12:21:52 am »
Not that it really matters, but I wonder how SRs will work this season. Can't see anything in the statement. Will there be extra months added on past September to allow completion, once audaxing restarts (if it indeed does)?

Was planning to do one for the first time this year, hoping to make it AAA too - seems unlikely now but there's always hope.
Borders of Belgium is AAA 1000, so can count as your 600, things may be more normal by then, but you will have trouble finding AAA 400 and 300 in the summer months, best to plan that for next year.

I think this will run for a long time, this is not going be over by locking down for a month. Wuhan has been under lockdown for nearly 2 months and the measures there are more severe than here.

« Reply #1962 on: 18 March, 2020, 07:52:06 am »
There's (potentially) Greenwich Mean Climb for the 300 in September, there are a few 400 AAA perms in Wales and I've (theoretically) got plenty of choice locally in the SE for 200 AAA perms or calendars. 600 was going to be Bryan Chapman but although its not officially postponed yet it's best to assume that it will be.

As you say, there's a good chance this shutdown will last a long time, and there won't be enough season left to cram in 4 SR rides plus recovery time. Shame, as I've not done anything longer than a 200 before and this was going to be my year to try going longer - but yeah, perspective, it doesn't really matter.

« Reply #1963 on: 18 March, 2020, 11:01:35 am »
600 was going to be Bryan Chapman but although its not officially postponed yet it's best to assume that it will be.
RT (16 Mar): "If we do have to cancel in May, we will run BCM later in the season as soon as it is feasible to do so."
sine die

« Reply #1964 on: 18 March, 2020, 12:04:54 pm »
There's (potentially) Greenwich Mean Climb for the 300 in September.

I've shelved GMC for this year, hoping to run the postponed Shark in its place if we are back up and running by then.

Note that partial-AAA rides count towards the AAASR, so in normal times you say can ECE a AAA calendar ride up to a longer distance, even if the ECE part is too flat to count for AAA. It's also theoretically possible to do this the other way as well, use a very hilly ECE to bring a non-AAA calendar ride up to full AAA, as long as your entire track clears the threshold for the full distance - don't think I've seen this done yet though...
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Martin

« Reply #1965 on: 18 March, 2020, 12:47:34 pm »
does the non AAA ECE have to be for the full distance? I've ECE'd a hilly (1600m climbing but not billed as AAA) 100 up to 200 and been awarded 2.25AAA for a 150km section. Under the previous AAA Man (SS)

Partial AAA DIY / ECE also count towards GdS as long as they have a minimum 100km section worth at least 1.5AAA

« Reply #1966 on: 18 March, 2020, 01:01:25 pm »
There's (potentially) Greenwich Mean Climb for the 300 in September.

I've shelved GMC for this year, hoping to run the postponed Shark in its place if we are back up and running by then.

Fair enough. I could potentially ECE that in from the coast for a lumpy 300. Chances are there won't be enough time for me to fit an SR in, including a rearranged BCM, by the time the hiatus ends, but it's all unknowns of course.

Not to mention the sudden deluge you guys (Ivan and Martin) and the DIY and perm orgs are going to receive whenever audaxing and validation becomes a thing again!

« Reply #1967 on: 18 March, 2020, 03:58:59 pm »
does the non AAA ECE have to be for the full distance? I've ECE'd a hilly (1600m climbing but not billed as AAA) 100 up to 200 and been awarded 2.25AAA for a 150km section. Under the previous AAA Man (SS)

As I take the entire track (ECE+Cal) and treat that as one ride, you could get a section qualifying for AAA as normal, which could even be part-ECE and part-Cal...
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Martin

« Reply #1968 on: 18 March, 2020, 08:05:40 pm »

As I take the entire track (ECE+Cal) and treat that as one ride, you could get a section qualifying for AAA as normal, which could even be part-ECE and part-Cal...

Thanks Ivan; in this case it was;

diverging from RRTY if a calendar event is sufficiently hilly should it not qualify for AAA anyway irrespective of whether the Org bills it as such?

An example being the rides previously run from Denmead without AAA which turned out to be just over the threshold and ran as very popular and excellent GdS rides under a new org for a few years  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1969 on: 18 March, 2020, 11:30:59 pm »
diverging from RRTY if a calendar event is sufficiently hilly should it not qualify for AAA anyway irrespective of whether the Org bills it as such?

An example being the rides previously run from Denmead without AAA which turned out to be just over the threshold and ran as very popular and excellent GdS rides under a new org for a few years  :thumbsup:

This is all getting a bit too divergent, but my understanding of how it has always worked is that organisers have to request AAA assessment, it's not forced upon them (so you could theoretically choose to run a hilly event without AAA), but in my limited experience I have yet to encounter an org that doesn't want it so can't really comment on historical issues if this has happened differently in the past.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #1970 on: 24 April, 2020, 01:24:04 pm »
Yesterday, I managed what could have been a completing ride for RRTY No 32……But I rode Virtual 200 on Turbo to support our local Sue Ryder Hospice:

I lost my wife Shirley to Pancreatic Cancer on 7 April. We had been in virtual Lock Down since her diagnosis in Jan 2019. To honour our local Sue Ryder Leckhampton Court Hospice, whose Hospice@Home team had cared for her, I decided to Ride for Ryder on Shirley’s 82nd Birthday, St George’s Day, 23 April. Needless to say, I managed the 200km, with only 10km on the road as an early morning warm-up. I finished in time (within Audax Rules!) for the National NHS Clapathon. But what strikes you is the boredom with no Controls to look forward to, no change of scenery, no route problems.

If you would like to support my ride and Sue Ryder the Just Giving link is:
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Stephen-Poulton
Or go to the Sue Ryder website and identify to the Memory of Shirley Poulton

Many Thanks
1369 Steve Poulton
SteveP

« Reply #1971 on: 25 April, 2020, 08:37:04 pm »
Very sorry, Steve

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #1972 on: 05 May, 2020, 04:36:31 pm »
Yesterday, I managed what could have been a completing ride for RRTY No 32……But I rode Virtual 200 on Turbo to support our local Sue Ryder Hospice:

I lost my wife Shirley to Pancreatic Cancer on 7 April. We had been in virtual Lock Down since her diagnosis in Jan 2019. To honour our local Sue Ryder Leckhampton Court Hospice, whose Hospice@Home team had cared for her, I decided to Ride for Ryder on Shirley’s 82nd Birthday, St George’s Day, 23 April. Needless to say, I managed the 200km, with only 10km on the road as an early morning warm-up. I finished in time (within Audax Rules!) for the National NHS Clapathon. But what strikes you is the boredom with no Controls to look forward to, no change of scenery, no route problems.

If you would like to support my ride and Sue Ryder the Just Giving link is:
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Stephen-Poulton
Or go to the Sue Ryder website and identify to the Memory of Shirley Poulton

Many Thanks
1369 Steve Poulton

Not to miss out on my Virtual Audax experience, I managed another V200 yesterday 4th May, which would have been our 46th Wedding Anniversary. So, under different circumstances that could have completed 17 years of continuous RRTY. Hope I don't have to go Virtual for June.
SteveP

« Reply #1973 on: 18 June, 2020, 03:44:59 pm »
Assuming validated rides recommence again from 1st August as per the latest AUK statement, there is a 6 month grace period for RRTY.

My understanding would be that if the last qualifying ride was in February, that means the RRTY must be restarted with a ride no later than September. (On the basis that a one month grace period would be an April restart, and extrapolating out).

A more literal interpretation might be that if the last ride was on 15th February, then the next ride would need to be before 15th August. That is exactly 6 months (near enough, unless you went into counting 182.5 days from your last ride).

I'm sure it'll be made clear in time.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #1974 on: 18 June, 2020, 04:30:41 pm »
Assuming validated rides recommence again from 1st August as per the latest AUK statement, there is a 6 month grace period for RRTY.

My understanding would be that if the last qualifying ride was in February, that means the RRTY must be restarted with a ride no later than September. (On the basis that a one month grace period would be an April restart, and extrapolating out).

A more literal interpretation might be that if the last ride was on 15th February, then the next ride would need to be before 15th August. That is exactly 6 months (near enough, unless you went into counting 182.5 days from your last ride).

I'm sure it'll be made clear in time.
Another interpretation is that you have 6 months from August 1st to start riding brevets again, and once you do they must be continuous