Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 339279 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1650 on: 29 December, 2020, 11:00:03 am »
vv20 by a oxon, on Flickr

That's me for 2020.  Not been tile bagging since Oct.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

simonp

« Reply #1651 on: 29 December, 2020, 06:41:59 pm »
My exploring has been a bit curtailed by the weather over the last couple of weeks. Now I'm Tier 3 and there are a bunch of routes I'd planned which would take me into Tier 2 areas => not allowed.

Think that's a wrap on 2020 then.

« Reply #1652 on: 29 December, 2020, 07:49:19 pm »
Both Cycling UK and British Cycling disagree with your excuse interpretation.

Cycling UK:
Similarly, you are permitted to ride from a Tier 3 area into Tier 1, Tier 2 or other Tier 3 areas as part of your route, however you should only stop for a break while within your own area.

British Cycling:
Groups from ‘Very high’ (Tier 3) areas are permitted to pass through ‘Medium’ (Tier 1), ‘High’ (Tier 2) or other ‘Very high’ (Tier 3) areas as part of their route, however they should only stop for a break while within their own area.

simonp

« Reply #1653 on: 29 December, 2020, 09:29:12 pm »

Cycling UK:
Similarly, you are permitted to ride from a Tier 3 area into Tier 1, Tier 2 or other Tier 3 areas as part of your route, however you should only stop for a break while within your own area.

British Cycling:
Groups from ‘Very high’ (Tier 3) areas are permitted to pass through ‘Medium’ (Tier 1), ‘High’ (Tier 2) or other ‘Very high’ (Tier 3) areas as part of their route, however they should only stop for a break while within their own area.

Here is the current wording for Tier 3:

Travel
Where possible, you should stay local and avoid travelling outside your local area, meaning your village or town, or part of a city. People should continue to travel for reasons such as work, education, medical attention or if they have caring responsibilities.

You can still travel to venues that are open, or for reasons such as work or education, but you should reduce the number of journeys you make wherever possible.

You should still avoid travelling outside your tier 3 area other than for the reasons such as those above.

So far as I can see, travelling outside the area does not include for exercise.

Davef

« Reply #1654 on: 30 December, 2020, 09:39:21 am »

Cycling UK:

British Cycling:

Here is the current wording for Tier 3:

Travel
Where possible, you should stay local and avoid travelling outside your local area, meaning your village or town, or part of a city. People should continue to travel for reasons such as work, education, medical attention or if they have caring responsibilities.

You can still travel to venues that are open, or for reasons such as work or education, but you should reduce the number of journeys you make wherever possible.

You should still avoid travelling outside your tier 3 area other than for the reasons such as those above.

So far as I can see, travelling outside the area does not include for exercise.
That is correct. You must not travel to outside your area to exercise, your exercise should start and finish in your area if you are in tier 3 or 4. Travel and exercise have always been distinct form the very start when exercise was limited to once a day but travelling by bicycle to work or the shops was not. Unnecessary travel was discouraged but going for a cycle ride encouraged. British cycling have been in exhaustive discussions with the government prior to publishing their detailed guidance.

simonp

« Reply #1655 on: 30 December, 2020, 06:49:11 pm »
All moot now as we’re going to Tier 4. If I understand correctly today’s ride which went into an adjacent Tier 3 area would be outside the rules with both in Tier 4.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1656 on: 30 December, 2020, 11:11:08 pm »
I'm pleased to have bolstered the connection between Hull/York where I used to live, and Huddersfield where I am now. Lots of hilly riding around Dewsbury, Wakefield and Pontefract has given me a nice sense of continuity between the max cluster centres.

I'm looking at the yacf leaderboard and thinking that adding 1000 to the cluster is very possible in 2021.

One of the other interesting things about VeloViewer is the charting of Strava data. I can see I rode further than ever last year, but this year my distance/elevation is out of the park. I found that helpful because I've done a lot less distance this year but feel knackered.

« Reply #1657 on: 31 December, 2020, 12:03:19 pm »
It's all hills from here.

simonp

« Reply #1658 on: 31 December, 2020, 12:16:05 pm »

Davef

« Reply #1659 on: 31 December, 2020, 01:00:41 pm »

If something is worth doing, it is worth doing to excess.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1660 on: 31 December, 2020, 01:00:58 pm »

vv_2020 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #1661 on: 31 December, 2020, 05:19:20 pm »
I'm with Dave on this one  :)

First year of tile bagging, obviously next year's progress will be a lot slower.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #1662 on: 31 December, 2020, 09:07:26 pm »
After deleting most of my rides that involved vehicles I spent lockdown filling in from home
Very happy with my haul for 2020, and achieved my main target of getting in the top 20 in the Cluster league.
Not sure how much I can expand this on solely from home rides, time will tell.

In my annual fun challenge with Lee K he trounced me with 7037 tiles visited in the year to my 5994. Well done Lee  :thumbsup:
A very different year with Lee top exploring Brit in 19th, when we have both been in the top 5 for previous years.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1663 on: 01 January, 2021, 03:23:29 pm »
I seem to have lost the Veloviewer menu from Strava. Just me or have others had the same? I've checked my Strava app settings and it still says Veloviewer has access.  ???

Answering my own question, I've worked out the cause: the Veloviewer menu is a Chrome extension. Recently, I've switched to using Safari instead of Chrome. Like, duh!

Anyway, here's my 2020 in Veloviewer:

Forced myself out today and got 2021 off to a decent start by picking up a 5 new tiles and extending my max cluster by 14.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1664 on: 01 January, 2021, 04:24:51 pm »

Pretty much all of the cluster increase happened in December, tho the ride that connected Rotterdam made a big jump too.

All of the square increase has been in December I think. I now don't live in my max square, and am only a few rides away from pulling it south enough that it flows out into the Gooimeer.

Cluster target for 2021: 2021.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1665 on: 01 January, 2021, 04:39:46 pm »
the ride that connected Rotterdam made a big jump too.

My main target for 2021 is to connect my East Kent cluster to my London cluster. That would see a BIG jump in my numbers.

Of course, that was main target for 2020 too... in theory it should be quite easy but it will require either a very long ride or a ride plus train journey, and circumstances have not been conducive to either.

Instead I ended up focusing my efforts on filling in the local gaps to expand my max cluster. Short of a few tiles to the south, around the Tenterden area, I’ve pretty much done the whole of East Kent now. Good progress.

I now don't live in my max square,

If this year goes well, this could be a secondary target for me - I’ve reached the point where it’s not really possible to extend my max square significantly without shifting it westwards.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1666 on: 02 January, 2021, 07:30:04 am »
My Veloviewer thingy doesn’t work as most of my rides are classed as Velomobile and these aren’t treated as cycling in the summary. So I have apparently done 598 km this year - but that’s just what I did on the trike.

Real figures are as follows:
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1667 on: 06 January, 2021, 05:21:19 pm »

Max ride elevation 336m  :o

It's 20km & 340m to my closest unclaimed square.

« Reply #1668 on: 06 January, 2021, 06:27:11 pm »
Oh wow, I did 24km and about 500m tonight which is fairly standard around these parts of South Yorkshire.

I know .NL is flat but I always forget how flat, even the hills of Limburg are pretty tiny.

My year

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1669 on: 06 January, 2021, 11:25:41 pm »

« Reply #1670 on: 06 January, 2021, 11:26:51 pm »

I think my nearest available square* hits the 500m contour. It's a bit further away than 20 km, mind.

*Excluding those in the sea and otherwise inaccessible - maybe they'll start doing public tours round Redcar Steelworks.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1671 on: 07 January, 2021, 09:39:04 pm »

I think my nearest available square* hits the 500m contour. It's a bit further away than 20 km, mind.

*Excluding those in the sea and otherwise inaccessible - maybe they'll start doing public tours round Redcar Steelworks.

I'm lucky to have a choice of nearest tiles: North 12.4km and only 536m... or South 11.4km and 564m. Both are going to involve walking the hound: boggy walking only rights of way

simonp

« Reply #1672 on: 07 January, 2021, 09:55:43 pm »
There's a tile within 10 miles but it's on Weston-super-mare beach. I don't regard that as local to home, so I won't be going there. It would not increase my max square now as it got to 20x20 by going south instead.

« Reply #1673 on: 07 January, 2021, 10:01:37 pm »
My nearest tile is just over 5 miles away, but that's North of the river, and ain't nobody got time for that kinda shit.

(Plus I've no need to venture more than 2 miles away from home right now.)

Pretty sure I've ridden through it too, but obviously don't have a GPS tracklog from it. There are a few early Audaxes I did where I managed not to record everything properly.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1674 on: 07 January, 2021, 11:00:29 pm »
My nearest tile not yet done is about a 85km roundtrip crossing 3 national borders with a maximum elevation f somewhere between 400 and 500m.
All the rest involves a roundtrip of over 100km.