Author Topic: Telescopic ladder experience?  (Read 2100 times)

Telescopic ladder experience?
« on: 15 November, 2020, 09:10:57 pm »
I have some, having bought a 3.8m "Amazon Favourite" option. That experience was enough to know that they are bloody handy, and it is worth buying a decent one. The one I had got sent back to Amazon after one job, having failed to survive. There is a certain appeal in the idea of buying one whenever I need one for a job and sending it back broken after, but actually I respect ladders sufficiently to avoid that approach.

I can't find anything on Amazon outside of the hokey-mokey-3000 stuff. There's a YoungmanI can see for £130, that's a brand I trust but the lack of a stabiliser bar suggests it is the old model, or Screwfix have an Xtend & Climb for £180 is another option, I think (?) I have heard that they are good, but don't know them personally.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Telescopic ladder experience?
« Reply #1 on: 16 November, 2020, 08:02:46 am »
I have some, having bought a 3.8m "Amazon Favourite" option. That experience was enough to know that they are bloody handy, and it is worth buying a decent one. The one I had got sent back to Amazon after one job, having failed to survive. There is a certain appeal in the idea of buying one whenever I need one for a job and sending it back broken after, but actually I respect ladders sufficiently to avoid that approach.

I can't find anything on Amazon outside of the hokey-mokey-3000 stuff. There's a YoungmanI can see for £130, that's a brand I trust but the lack of a stabiliser bar suggests it is the old model, or Screwfix have an Xtend & Climb for £180 is another option, I think (?) I have heard that they are good, but don't know them personally.

I would suggest watching the film, Paddington 2, for a thorough review and in-action video usage - he seems to be OK with it  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2 on: 16 November, 2020, 12:43:20 pm »
Zarges make a telescopic one rated to 150kg. I deffo trust them. I wouldn't trust a generic though.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #3 on: 16 November, 2020, 12:46:43 pm »
I have this one

https://www.midlandladders.com/Ladders/telescopic-ladders/youngman-3-2m-telescopic-ladder-p-1803

I've only used it a couple of times but it's really good. Nice clunk noise when the mechanism locks and a coloured indicator showing it has all locked into place. Stores nicely in the bike shed where a standard ladder doesn't fit. It's a lot heavier than a standard ladder but it feels nice and solid when in use.

There's a 3.8m on the same website as well for £165
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #4 on: 16 November, 2020, 01:45:33 pm »
I bought six of them for my fitters to use on site in Italy.
One was confiscated by Italian customs on the return journey because "You're not allowed to put ladders in the hold of an aircraft". Yeah. Right. Enjoy all the DIY you're going to do with your new ladder.
Four of them have been stolen by people I work with.
Which is lovely. ::-)
Leaving just the one.
They're of the type which can be deployed as an A-frame or straightened out to a much longer (around 4m) straight ladder.

« Reply #5 on: 16 November, 2020, 02:03:44 pm »
Update: I've gone'an'bin'an'dunnit

The more I looked into the more that it became clear that there were a number of decent makes out there, some £300+, but a number around the £200 mark including the Youngmans, the Zargas and the Xtend&Climb. It appears that Xtend&Climb have been in the game the longest and are widely respected. TB Davies ar ethe UK distributors, as an aside scroll down this page for a bit of a smile (hint: around Lightning latch).

The youngman "non-finger-pinch" setup meant that it was unnecessarily tall, Zargas was an option but the Screwfix deal at least £40 below list combined with the reputation pushed me towards that.  Chalk and cheese compared to the cheapie, larger section, more rigid, gives me a lot of confidence in it from the off.  One thing to note is that the stabiliser needs to be extended for use, which is likely a good thing, all in all.

« Reply #6 on: 16 November, 2020, 03:26:27 pm »
an aside scroll down this page for a bit of a smile (hint: around Lightning latch).
I don't get it?

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #7 on: 16 November, 2020, 03:29:54 pm »

The more I looked into the more that it became clear that there were a number of decent makes out there, some £300+, but a number around the £200 mark including the Youngmans, the Zargas and the Xtend&Climb. It appears that Xtend&Climb have been in the game the longest and are widely respected. TB Davies ar ethe UK distributors, as an aside scroll down this page for a bit of a smile (hint: around Lightning latch).

The youngman "non-finger-pinch" setup meant that it was unnecessarily tall, Zargas was an option but the Screwfix deal at least £40 below list combined with the reputation pushed me towards that.  Chalk and cheese compared to the cheapie, larger section, more rigid, gives me a lot of confidence in it from the off.  One thing to note is that the stabiliser needs to be extended for use, which is likely a good thing, all in all.

I'm confused as to which one you went for?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 16 November, 2020, 03:33:54 pm »
an aside scroll down this page for a bit of a smile (hint: around Lightning latch).
I don't get it?

It's a great example of why Lorem ipsum is better.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #9 on: 16 November, 2020, 03:36:18 pm »

I'm confused as to which one you went for?

Screwfix, xtend+climb

I don't get it?

It's a great example of why Lorem ipsum is better.

Better than Alina? I doubt it.

« Reply #10 on: 16 November, 2020, 03:53:07 pm »
They're of the type which can be deployed as an A-frame or straightened out to a much longer (around 4m) straight ladder.

That sounds like just what I'm looking for. Do you have a link to it?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11 on: 16 November, 2020, 04:24:15 pm »
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8649982?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=30f62ea9-9626-4cac-97c8-9ff3921f8558&istItemId=ixwlimpiq&istBid=t&&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59157%7cacid:804-872-0397%7ccid:9606242554%7cagid:98186037839%7ctid:aud-641224040337:pla-888533342107%7ccrid:424799278236%7cnw:g%7crnd:4862490080551896976%7cdvc:c%7cadp:%7cmt:%7cloc:1007216&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=9606242554&utm_term=8649982&utm_content=shopping&utm_custom1=98186037839&utm_custom2=804-872-0397&gclid=Cj0KCQiA48j9BRC-ARIsAMQu3WStcvqlinFJPoDNFyNJdp01AprzpneVwFRXTr5bWe6G-S9r77V9-YcaAulmEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

We have something very similar to this, manufactured by Abru. The example I've linked to isn't exactly the same, but we've had ours a long time so I suspect it has been redesigned.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #12 on: 16 November, 2020, 04:43:41 pm »

That sounds like just what I'm looking for. Do you have a link to it?
Not right now, as I've logged off from the work server, but I'll have a look for you tomorrow.

« Reply #13 on: 18 November, 2020, 12:37:34 pm »
Thanks.

« Reply #14 on: 18 November, 2020, 04:15:07 pm »

« Reply #15 on: 22 November, 2020, 07:23:46 pm »
Thanks. Currently out of stock but I’ll keep looking.