Author Topic: Cambrian Series Permanents  (Read 105151 times)

Re: Cambrian Series Permanents
« Reply #225 on: 08 September, 2014, 11:17:38 am »
I thought you, Jamesbradnor, CET, and select others, floated up thousands of metres without going through any significant pain at all!

LOL don't include me in with the likes of the great climbers, I shuffle my way upwards in great pain and suffering in true audax hard-lady style I'll have you know  :P
Does not play well with others

« Reply #226 on: 08 September, 2014, 05:14:05 pm »
(one of my favourite rides, especially if you go through Painscastle and Hundred House on the Hay to Llandod leg.

Looking at rabbits GPS, this is one option probably the obvious option:
http://goo.gl/maps/H2FtC

However, I was considering this as an alternative:
http://goo.gl/maps/wVscE

Any opinions from people that know the area?

Thanks!

BTW - (thanks CET!) the brevet has arrived, so I'm riding it this Sunday :)

« Reply #227 on: 08 September, 2014, 08:52:06 pm »
I thought you, Jamesbradnor, CET, and select others, floated up thousands of metres without going through any significant pain at all!

solely representing my own feelings here -----you MUST be joking !!! there`s no floating upwards any more--maybe 30 years ago  ::-)  A compact with a 12-32 block works wonders  :thumbsup: I think that in 3 weeks time any thoughts of `flaoting upwards effortlessly` will have been smashed by Hautacam, after Tourmalet and Luz Ardiden softeners earlier...... :o
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #228 on: 09 September, 2014, 07:46:30 am »
If you don't like climbing too much Can't Climb, I'd be trying to avoid Painscastle if I were you  - there are some truly (and unavoidable) brutal climbs through there.
Having said that, if you were trying to avoid climbing then a CS ride is probably best avoided altogether.  ;D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #229 on: 09 September, 2014, 08:20:04 am »
you MUST be joking !!!

Well yes, of course. Also taking the chance to admire the way that good riders (examples above!) usually make it look easy, even when they are working extremely hard.

« Reply #230 on: 09 September, 2014, 09:29:29 am »
If you don't like climbing too much Can't Climb, I'd be trying to avoid Painscastle if I were you  - there are some truly (and unavoidable) brutal climbs through there.
Having said that, if you were trying to avoid climbing then a CS ride is probably best avoided altogether.  ;D

The first time I did the LEL it was a sufferfest of survival (my first Audax, body not ready).  Second time I did the LEL i was well prepared and fit enough to enjoy it - I got hooked  8)

In the same way I NEED to get better at climbing.  I feel it prevents me riding in groups as I often drop off the back when it get lumpy... entering a few more AAA events is my training :)

I hope to do BCM & K&SW in the next year or two, but want to be good enough at climbing to enjoy it.  I'll never fly up the climbs, but I've got my local DIY GPS 200 down to sub-9 hours, so it's time to get climbing!  Anywhere that starts Pain* has already set a clear expectation for me, so bring on the gratuitous gradients - I intend to make a leisurely day of it & have fun! 

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #231 on: 10 September, 2014, 10:27:07 am »

Oddly enough, when I'm really fit I struggle to float.  My bouyancy is almost negative and there's an imbalance of weight distribution to the legs.   ;D

PS - the secret of floating up the hills is to ride up the first bit quick and get out of sight around the first bend.  That way no-one can see you suffer.   ;D ;D
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #232 on: 12 September, 2014, 07:56:42 pm »
Bwlch Y Groes thrice---done today, .gpx file here http://ridewithgps.com/trips/3438766 

Quite cloudy so photos will be a bit `flat`, unlike the ride  ;D Enjoyed it all (mostly!)---got up south side in 19min, and enjoyed seeing different aspects of each ascnet route. I`ll do a fuller report in due course , but for those who like hills it is highly recommended --and Hirnnat Pass is very nice too  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #233 on: 14 September, 2014, 07:58:49 pm »
Just got back to the car after the 2a.  I'm battered.  Not helped by 4 punctures and a snapped tyre lever so I had to keep stopping to pump up my last fix...

Need to check the website - I hope I had 14hrs for this, first time I've been anywhere near 13hrs (and was actually over it)

I think I enjoyed that, will write more another time :)

« Reply #234 on: 14 September, 2014, 08:26:12 pm »
That's a bit of a worry Can't Climb as I've just signed up for the 2A next Saturday (20/9). It seems like you have made a good effort at mopping up all the shrapnel off the road for me though, but I'll still take 4 tubes and some patches, just in case.

I am planning to start at Llandrindod Wells and going clockwise.

I'm glad you kind of enjoyed it and the time limit is 14 hours (14.3km/h) so you should be OK.

« Reply #235 on: 15 September, 2014, 07:34:22 am »
Well done Can't Climb and James!  Both pretty audacious efforts!

I'll pencil that Bwlch x 3 in for next year I think James.  Can't see me being back up that way any time before the weather changes.   :thumbsup:

19 mins up the South Side = pretty darned quick  :thumbsup:

« Reply #236 on: 15 September, 2014, 08:26:07 am »
Well done Can't Climb and James!  Both pretty audacious efforts!

I'll pencil that Bwlch x 3 in for next year I think James.  Can't see me being back up that way any time before the weather changes.   :thumbsup:

19 mins up the South Side = pretty darned quick  :thumbsup:

cheers thank you  :'(

Winter would be just fine  ;)  I recall of years ago a school friend and I took train to Welshpool with bikes and rode up from Vyrnwy on a winter afternoon to encounter a few inches snow near top of Bwlch Y Groes in failing light and on tyre tread driven dynamo lighting ----THAT was audacious and not something I`d do again !

« Reply #237 on: 16 September, 2014, 05:31:37 pm »
Ride report ByG x3:

A few months ago the notion of a `Ventoux style` ride up the three potential ascents of Bwlch Y Groes, @ 545m the highest road pass in North Wales, was aired. After a bit of faffing / thinking / gpxing I put forwards to Tony H a DIY route that went up the Bwlch on each of the three possible roads--it was a bit complex to plan as it felt it went round and round...but a route was developed.

So on Friday 12th---fortunately not the 13th  ::-)--I set off in cool overcast weather from Foel, just east of Mallwyd to do the circuit taking on the toughest south ascent first

Good road surfaces, gentle gradients and a favourable breeze saw me reach Dinas mawaddwy on an average speed of 30kph  :thumbsup:---which very soon dropped as I turned north up the valley road to the base of the ascent. It`s a hard approach too, short sharp ups @ 10% soften up legs for the big climb and by the time I reached the base of climb `proper` I`d already clocked up 400m climbing.

In contrast to the other two approaches the south is a no-nonsense diagonally straight up

the road climbs from left to right diagonally across the hill, NO letup at all---10-14% lower down soon steepens to 20-24% on the mid section.... ;D

I was glad it wasnt` sunny too---a nice breeze kept me cool as I ground my way slowly up, never getting out of the 34 x 30 crawler gear. The turn to Lake Vyrnwy gave me a morale boost, seeing the height on my GPS I knew I was 3 / 4 up, just keep going.

The view back down the valley showed just how much height I`d gained

and soon I was at the top with North Wales and the Arans spread murkily out in front

The welcome breeze was now decidedly chilly--back on with armwarmers, jacket and a 60 kph descent down to Bala Lake and the psychologically hard bit of keeping riding on knowing I`d be back at the same spot in 40km after another ascent ::-)

The approach to Hirnant Pass is really lovely, a narrow road winds up along a stream with woodlands and huge conifers towering above--difficult to tell but some must be over 40m in height  :o

Hirnant Pass adopts the same attitude as Bwlch Y Groes south--just go diagonally staright up ! But despite its foreboding slopes and a very classic mountain pass look, it is by comparison fairly moderate 10% mostly, a bit at 15% near the top and within 10 minutes of crossing the stream at the bottom I was up

A good quick descent to Vyrnwy, more huge conifers too:

and then east up to the Bwlch for ascent number two. And very different too is the climb from Vyrnwy, after a short sharp start it oscillates up and down, meandering across increasingly open and bleak moors. Its lowest section is most scenic, a small stream, tumbling waterfalls

Down again to Bala and a roll around the lakeside to a most welcome big breakfast @ Jan`s Cafe after 90 km. Fortunately the next 10km back along to Llanuwchllyn were fairly gentle to ease digestion  ;D

Now for the last climb---it is , from Llanuwchllyn, also the longest but the lower half is fairly steady; only as the open hillside is gained at about 350m does it kick up through the birch woods, touching 12% again.
An exposed `balcony` road cuts across Craig Yr Ogof---the safety barrier being a fairly recent addition ::-)

Lichen encrusted great plaques of cliff rose steeply above the road as it climbed steeply before turning onto the final moorland pull

And then I was up --ascent number three done, finished--and then a good descent back down to a very placid Lake Vyrnwy, hardly a breath of wind to ripple its surface and the mountains holding Hirnant and Bwlch Y Groes vague shadows in the misty landscapes

Befitingly the ride still had a sting in its tail--the narrow road cutting back to Foel had a good few 15% inclines to keep me working  ::-) before a very good 3km run back down to finish.

Although the route ( http://ridewithgps.com/trips/3438766 ) was a bit contorted ---and maybe wasn`t a logically satisfying journey--it turned out to be very interesting indeed, three very different aspects of climbs to the summit of North Wales` highest road pass :thumbsup: 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #238 on: 16 September, 2014, 07:39:31 pm »
James, you've inspired me!

(Despite your post being nothing about CS Perms :-P )

I ain't promising to ever ride such madness, but your report has made it a smidge more likely ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #239 on: 16 September, 2014, 07:47:34 pm »
What an excellent ride and ride report.

I have ridden up from Vrynwy with panniers on an old steel frame many year ago and driven the other routes; stunning part of Wales.

Did you submit for AAA and if so what was the figures?

« Reply #240 on: 16 September, 2014, 07:52:38 pm »
Thanks James - the perfect set of pictures, and a highly evocative account. Both poetry!

« Reply #241 on: 16 September, 2014, 07:58:20 pm »
Did you submit for AAA and if so what was the figures?

The AAA Man has already added 2.25 of his valued Points.

« Reply #242 on: 16 September, 2014, 08:19:27 pm »

in my defence, yer honour, the very idea of the ride was aired in CS thread and I think that Mr CET may also have ideas about making this a CS perm. I rest my case, sir

« Reply #243 on: 17 September, 2014, 05:53:20 pm »
What a fabulous report James!  Great photos and descriptions.   :thumbsup:

Bugloss

« Reply #244 on: 17 September, 2014, 05:54:31 pm »
Looks nice James, I might go there one day.

« Reply #245 on: 17 September, 2014, 06:40:08 pm »
Good ride sir. The route from Bala over the Hirnant pass is indeed lovely. A little known gem.

« Reply #246 on: 17 September, 2014, 07:21:28 pm »
Looks nice James, I might go there one day.

Bugloss--you`ve read the man above /\ /\ /\ ---Swiss Hat---you MUST do it for Hirnant alone !!

« Reply #247 on: 18 September, 2014, 02:32:57 pm »
I can't give you a write-up like James, once the P*******s started I stopped taking photos & forgot details I may want to write down ::-)

I probably should have DNS'd the 2a... Achilles issues for a few days means I'd not ridden all week, and work exploded so I had to work until 11pm on Friday & all day Saturday - so I wasn't well rested.  That said, with only one car & family commitments I rarely get the chance to drive somewhere so didn't want to miss that opportunity :)  I left the house at 4:30 to drive 1.5 hours to the start.

I'm not going to say more about my p*******s, only that road resurfacing, going past 3 tractors cutting thorny hedgerows, and following one tractor that was merrily dumping sharp flint looking material across the entire width of the road hardly gave me the best odds!

In all honesty I was a little nervous about the hills so deliberately took it easy on the way out of Monmouth through Hay.  That said I was struggling to get on top of the gears - a ride that let me gently get into it may have been best, but not much chance of that, so I pushed on.  Monmouth to Hay was a rough road, but a lot of it was being resurfaced so will be a lot better in a couple of weeks.  Lovely sunrise just outside monmouth which gave promise of a nice day:

Sadly, as I started the climb to Hundred House it was foggy - over the top the fog lifted enough for me to great to get the feeling of riding in 'big scenery' - that feeling carried on until Brecon.  Appart from a couple of short streches I really enjoy it the roads, they were nice and quiet, the views were fantastic, the cake stops were superb & the weather was kind :)  the road from Abergavenny to Monmouth was silky smooth and just what I needed at the end of a long day.  Once back at the car I grabbed some food & had a rest before driving home, once home I had a shower & some more food before taking the dog out for a hours walk - by the time I finally got to bed I was shattered!

It's interesting to ride where you don't recognize any place names - given the navigation was very simple so I really took the time to look around & soak it all up.  To be honest that was the best part - it's so much more enjoyable than having your head down stressing about the next turn or your current distance/time.  Sure, I found my "tyre issue" somewhat "frustrating", but as the last fix held it didn't ruin the day  :thumbsup:

So far this year I have 27 points but 0 AAA - so it'll be nice to break the duck :) 

I will certainly be back, I want to do the 2a again & I want to ride some of the others.  Now I know what to expect I'll be better prepared :)  I really need to devise a local DIY that has some AAA points  :facepalm:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #248 on: 20 September, 2014, 11:21:15 am »

in my defence, yer honour, the very idea of the ride was aired in CS thread and I think that Mr CET may also have ideas about making this a CS perm. I rest my case, sir

It is still on the drawing board but have ideas about extending to 200km so I can find a few more climbs.  The Cambrian series is missing a 4AAA 200k ride.   

PS - (I've made up for it though - there's a tasty ride in the Alps going through the approval process at the moment that Zigzag and I did this year and was so good it just had to be put up there.  The route sheet will have less than 10 instructions.)
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #249 on: 20 September, 2014, 08:56:56 pm »
How`s about adding in Llanuwchllyn > Trawsfynydd> Dolgellau> Llynau Cregennen> Dolgellau > Cross Foxes, would that add enough ??