Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3814113 times)

Domestique

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #750 on: 08 June, 2008, 06:41:32 pm »
We rode the Orchid charity ride around Billericay.
Really nice morning out, about 45 miles in total.
Going ot, Danny Crates, Essex based World and Paralympic Champion is a top gadgy  :thumbsup:

annie

« Reply #751 on: 08 June, 2008, 07:01:51 pm »
Yes, BHF ride from Norwich.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #752 on: 08 June, 2008, 07:26:21 pm »
Yes, BHF ride from Norwich.

Chapeau  :thumbsup:

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #753 on: 08 June, 2008, 07:47:36 pm »
yep, a lovely 90 minutes in the sunshine this morning.  Just lovely.

« Reply #754 on: 08 June, 2008, 07:52:11 pm »
Did a quick 10 mile loop this morning to test a few changes I've made to the kaffenback.
Don't ask.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #755 on: 08 June, 2008, 08:08:47 pm »
No! Working!  :(
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #756 on: 08 June, 2008, 08:11:01 pm »
You've got time for a pootle now, haven't you? ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #757 on: 08 June, 2008, 08:12:10 pm »
30min ride to work, 2 hours standing around in the sun, then 30min ride home.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #758 on: 08 June, 2008, 08:14:27 pm »
You've got time for a pootle now, haven't you? ;)
CBA!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #759 on: 08 June, 2008, 10:34:35 pm »
Nope.  No bike. :-(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #760 on: 08 June, 2008, 11:00:13 pm »
Yes, fifty fast and furious miles (phew) with Emilio in the Surrey Hills. I is knackered.  :-[

« Reply #761 on: 08 June, 2008, 11:24:10 pm »
Yes, fifty fast and furious miles (phew) with Emilio in the Surrey Hills. I is knackered.  :-[

You looked fine to me, first thing this morning. :-*

« Reply #762 on: 09 June, 2008, 12:00:39 am »
41 gentle miles slough windsor henley windsor slough  :).
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #763 on: 09 June, 2008, 08:40:19 am »
Yesterday.

And it was an epic. I first raced out of Nottingham heading for Ambergate, taking a couple of short but steep hills to get warmed up. Just before Ambergate we headed North on the B6013 for Oakerthorpe. We started a game of ups and downs, the ups lasting slightly longer than the downs, taking us progressively above the valley and offering a first glimpse of the Woolley Moor to the West. Having reached the A61, we turned left for Ashover on the B6036. The climbs were starting to be a bit more challenging; not very long but rather brutal on twisted road. In the absence of wind riding in narrow lanes through the banked streets of the villages made us feel rather warm then. The A632 was finally reached; the A632 is busy at this location; but it also rewards the brave cyclist with about half a mile of a climb at 14%. Oh boy, my 39x25 was a bit short for the climb and I was slipping on the gravel but we made it to the top. We bailed out of the busy road to cut back across the fields through beautiful narrow lanes (Wheatcroft lane, Potters lane), and resumed a game of ups and downs, although this time we really enjoyed long, fast downhills. then we climbed to Crich, by which stage we were getting tired. The way home was offered to us as we reached the A6. We raced to Derby, playing with the few other fast cyclists out yesterday, and then back home along the Derby-LE cycling route before getting back on the A6005.

5 hours in the saddle in total, around 80 mi I reckon, some tough climbs rewarded by gorgeous sceneries as well as some fast downhill and some solid motoring on the flat. I am a bit unfit (and fat!) and still lack power on the climbs at the end of long rides, but I went around without much problem this WE and I enjoyed the ride during which I actually felt rather good on all but the longest ascent.

The Peak District can really reward the adventurous cyclist with its beautiful lanes and climbs as well as sumptuous views. A great day for a ride too.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #764 on: 09 June, 2008, 08:42:39 am »
That's a real heavy-duty day's cycling, Vince. Chapeau!

Vince, you're getting all my attention... Well done. Are we doing this in August/September then?!  :thumbsup:
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #765 on: 09 June, 2008, 09:32:34 am »

I was fine first thing. Almost four almost non-stop hours in Emilio's company, and anyone is bound to be knackered.  ;D

Oh, and she made it up, on fixed, that b*st*rd of a lump - Crocknorth Road - leading to Ranmore Common. Chapeau, Em!

vince

« Reply #766 on: 09 June, 2008, 10:19:55 am »
A recovery ride this morning before I go home at lunch time. Yesterday's run knocked the stuffing out of my legs, I'm just not used to it  :sick:

13.5 miles: St Harmon - Abbey-Cwm-Hir - Blwch-y-Sarnau - along the Marteg - Pant-y-Dwr - St Harmon. Beautiful sunshine and hot already at 8.30  8)

Unfortunately I did not take my camera, so here are the best shots I could take of the Tee-pee I saw camped alongside the Marteg:

Here's a close-up, unfortunately the digital zoom knocked out the detail and colour:

alan

« Reply #767 on: 09 June, 2008, 11:53:15 am »
[

:o
was this supposed to be secret :-X  ::-)  ;)

alan

« Reply #768 on: 09 June, 2008, 11:57:36 am »

I was fine first thing. Almost four almost non-stop hours in Emilio's company, and anyone is bound to be knackered.  ;D

[/quote]

is there something we should know :D

annie

« Reply #769 on: 09 June, 2008, 11:59:01 am »
[

I thought this as well :-\

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #770 on: 09 June, 2008, 12:06:22 pm »
Yesterday Penarth to Merthyr and back via Pentrych, Church Village, Cilfynedd (where I resisted the temptation to latch onto the Cardiff Ajax/Jif peloton) A465 hill, Dowlais. Back to Cardiff I finished off with a grind up Leckwith Hill before descending into Penarth. 64 miles or so.

Will it be enough to get me round the Dragonride next weekend ?????????
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

« Reply #771 on: 09 June, 2008, 12:18:27 pm »
I think you need to read the tandem ride thread to understand Jurek's innocent comment!  ;D

There are gazillions of cyclists out on my commute now the sun is out. Which is, on the whole, great, but I really wish they wouldn't push past me to jump the lights and keep lining up down the left of HGVs at big junctions like the one with Buckingham Palace road, where trucks often turn left.*

*Yes, I was a newbie cyclist once. I was very slow, and I was wobbly...but I never did the things that are annoying me now!

Chris N

« Reply #772 on: 09 June, 2008, 12:22:02 pm »
Unfortunately I did not take my camera, so here are the best shots I could take of the Tee-pee I saw camped alongside the Marteg:

[img]

Here's a close-up, unfortunately the digital zoom knocked out the detail and colour:

[img]

That's been there (or has been and come back again) since late last summer.  Looks like a great place for a campsite.

alan

« Reply #773 on: 09 June, 2008, 12:31:11 pm »
[

I thought this as well :-\

is this a case of great minds think alike or fools seldom differ :-\

alan

« Reply #774 on: 09 June, 2008, 12:34:06 pm »
innocent comment!  ;D

what's one of them :demon: